Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

houses: project build or one off design & costs

houses: project build or one off design & costs

Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:26 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question houses: project build or one off design & costs

We are considering knock down/build or piece of land in established suburbs on the Nth Shores (Sydney). Size (of house) would be around 300sqm (internal incl garage), 2 floors, slight sloping land.

From the limited research I have done, project build is cheaper but quality could be dubious. I feel that if we went this route that we would want to make so many changes (eg on layout, rating of insulation etc) that it would work out as expensive as getting a property done how we want it bespoke.

Cost is of course a major issue -
at quick look at Kellyville show houses cost from $150k to $200k, add say $50k for 'extras'
Is $1k per sqm ie $300k unrealisitic for one off design?

Other major costs -
I've gathered that site costs can be around $7k mark, up to $18k dependant on what the soil tests show & they find during the work

Of course the cost of land, the house build itself, council planning applications, service connection (as necesary), landscaping. Probably would want architect or someone else to oversee the project to ensure builder does not say unrequired work is needed (given house building is not my trade, fear that we could be taken for mugs - is that a realistic fear?)

are there any other major costs I've missed?

thanks
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

rarejunk_in is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: houses: project build or one off design & costs

Originally Posted by walaj
We are considering knock down/build or piece of land in established suburbs on the Nth Shores (Sydney). Size (of house) would be around 300sqm (internal incl garage), 2 floors, slight sloping land.

From the limited research I have done, project build is cheaper but quality could be dubious. I feel that if we went this route that we would want to make so many changes (eg on layout, rating of insulation etc) that it would work out as expensive as getting a property done how we want it bespoke.

Cost is of course a major issue -
at quick look at Kellyville show houses cost from $150k to $200k, add say $50k for 'extras'
Is $1k per sqm ie $300k unrealisitic for one off design?

Other major costs -
I've gathered that site costs can be around $7k mark, up to $18k dependant on what the soil tests show & they find during the work

Of course the cost of land, the house build itself, council planning applications, service connection (as necesary), landscaping. Probably would want architect or someone else to oversee the project to ensure builder does not say unrequired work is needed (given house building is not my trade, fear that we could be taken for mugs - is that a realistic fear?)

are there any other major costs I've missed?

thanks
I saw one of those mirvac houses in kellyville and planning to proceed with them.

SOme of the additional costs which seem to come are

1. site costs could go up to 20k (wont know until they do a contour survey)
2. might need a retaining wall since there is a slope which might cost somewhere around 7k-10k.
3. the bricks range given in a project home is limited, so u might want a upgraded one. same applies to tiles, kitchen, changing floor plan etc
4. landscaping, garden, removing dirt & unwanted crap, truck loads

there could be more such hidden costs, i'm really nervous abt the whole constructing a house thing.

Cheers,
RJ
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

For a one off design allow $1200 square minimum. Slope no guessing, cant be worked out till engineering for the specific plan is assessed. Thats the house, nothing to do with driveways landscaping etc. Sydney may be more expensive than Qld.

All sounds expensive compared to the pick a box show home but the 2 products should be in a different class if you pick the right builder.

Generally buying, knocking down and rebuiding is only done in the 'right' areas whrere the market price will eventually head to what its going to cost you.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:58 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
For a one off design allow $1200 square minimum. Slope no guessing, cant be worked out till engineering for the specific plan is assessed. Thats the house, nothing to do with driveways landscaping etc. Sydney may be more expensive than Qld.

All sounds expensive compared to the pick a box show home but the 2 products should be in a different class if you pick the right builder.

Generally buying, knocking down and rebuiding is only done in the 'right' areas whrere the market price will eventually head to what its going to cost you.
$1200 a square? or $1200 a square metre. pretty big difference in cost.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:03 pm
Banned

ozipeter is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find generally the inclusions are far better than Owner Builders as most Project Builders can buy a lot of material and labour fairly cheap. However it is VERY important you dont make changes as this is where they sting you.
Banks also dont like Owner Builders as this is one of the rare areas that they lose money if borrowers overcapitlise or weather stuffs them up. When it rains ...it rains...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My only advice is: don't employ an architect. Most of them, in my experience, use the client's money to build their own ego trip! It's very easy here to design your own home and have a draftsman draw up all the necessary plans and elevations, giving advice based on his own experience. We saved ourselves some $25k doing this.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:06 am
Banned

I dont totally agree with the draftsmen option. I have found if you get a very good architect who knows your area and builds to spec for the AREA..very important...you will get a higher valuation for the home than to otherwise save money. For eg in the East Surb of Sydney I have valued a home 300K more than another built for the same money in the same street and they paid 25K for a Architect. Yes they have egos but so do a lot of Owner Builders who overcapitalize and end up in the deep end when trying to sell their property...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I agree in some ways: the problem is in finding an architect who will do what you want without going to several and spending a lot of time with them roughing out plans - which is bound to cost time and money.

In our case we know we are spending more than we might have done overall (although we are at present remarkably close to budget) but we are thinking of our own requirements, not resale.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:32 am
Banned

Hippy-Dippy is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt live in the eastern suburbs-we had a house there and in the back lane there were unsavoury types hangin out.

Last edited by Hippy-Dippy; Mar 22nd 2007 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:56 am
Banned

Yes unfortunately most people esp for some reason UK expats that move to an area dont do their homework or the street might look nice and you end up living next to some local gang member or someone throwing rabbits out the window at all times of the night...oops dont want to scare anyone....
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozipeter
Yes unfortunately most people esp for some reason UK expats that move to an area dont do their homework or the street might look nice and you end up living next to some local gang member or someone throwing rabbits out the window at all times of the night...oops dont want to scare anyone....
Not back to the "rabbit" threads again........