Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House viewings - here we go again

House viewings - here we go again

Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:59 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default House viewings - here we go again

Happy New Year all

Kids go back to school tomorrow so today seemed like a good day to start taking the christmas decorations down. There we are, about half an hour into the chaos and the phone goes - it's only our estate agent wanting to arrange a viewing for 11am today (how inconsiderate is that and yes I do want to sell my house!) Tried to postpone it but the person concerned was only visiting the area (staying with family) and was due to return home later today so we had to agree to a viewing, didn't we? It was a cash buyer after all! Been out all afternoon so hope to get a progress report tomorrow....

Anyway, the gist of this thread is to reassure anyone else out there in the same boat with a house to sell that the Christmas lull is over.

Bring on the serious house viewers!

2005 is the year that it's all gonna happen! Look forward to sharing all your stories.

Binbird
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House viewings - here we go again

Originally Posted by binbird
Happy New Year all

Kids go back to school tomorrow so today seemed like a good day to start taking the christmas decorations down. There we are, about half an hour into the chaos and the phone goes - it's only our estate agent wanting to arrange a viewing for 11am today (how inconsiderate is that and yes I do want to sell my house!) Tried to postpone it but the person concerned was only visiting the area (staying with family) and was due to return home later today so we had to agree to a viewing, didn't we? It was a cash buyer after all! Been out all afternoon so hope to get a progress report tomorrow....

Anyway, the gist of this thread is to reassure anyone else out there in the same boat with a house to sell that the Christmas lull is over.

2005 is the year that it's all gonna happen! Look forward to sharing all your stories.

Binbird

Hiya

All the best with your house viewer... fingers crossed!! We put our house on market Oct sold it in three weeks, was ment to be moving mid Jan and then our buyer lost their buyer so their flat is now back on the market and we`ve given them 2wks to try to sell, if they have no luck then our house will have to go back on the market :scared:

So all the very best of luck, its a sh***y process

Sue Fingers crossed
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:17 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi Binbird & Sue

Good luck with both of you with selling your houses.
It's a very stressful business - especially when buyers pull out!!!!
We are in a smilar position - have a buyer who has now found a first time buyer for their flat - so all going through now. But you never know!!!

Hope things go smoothly!!

Shell
x
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binbird
Happy New Year all

Binbird
Hi Binbird

Happy New Year to you and I hope it has started with a successful house sale! Let us know how you get on - fingers crossed for you. We are planning to get the estate agent round soon to help sort out the 'do we sell, so we rent?' question. I'm leaning towards sell but then I keep changing my mind...

BB
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:17 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI All

So good to come across these postings, my husband is on a night shift and here I am again looking on the internet for reasurance that we are doing the right thing and I find that I am not the only one.
We too are desperately trying to sell our house and have had it on the market since September. Our initial entry stamp has to be in our passports by Feb 17th so finally realised that I have to go to Australia on the 27th Jan with 2 children, will have to go on my own as my husband has no holiday left and he has an Australian passport so not a problem for him.
Estate Agent has told us that 3 couples want our house but they too are having problems selling theirs. So lets up you are right and that market will pick up now for all of us.

While I am here does anyone know how the starting dates for school are worked out in Australia. My children are currently in year 6 and 9 year six child turning 11 in July and year 9 child turning 14 in June, I would like to clarify what year they would be entering into in Australia. We will be living in Brisbane Queensland if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Housing market seems to be well up.
2 viewers today, 4 more tomorrow !!!

Cas
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:35 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Shazza,
sounds like the school years are the same as here-or were you speaking in Oz .
Prep to year 6 = 5-12yr olds (primary)
year 7-12 = 12-18yr olds (secondary)

I can't se any reason why they wouldn't fit into the same age groups here

Term 1 will begin end of this month and finish around early april.

Steve
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
HI All

While I am here does anyone know how the starting dates for school are worked out in Australia. My children are currently in year 6 and 9 year six child turning 11 in July and year 9 child turning 14 in June, I would like to clarify what year they would be entering into in Australia. We will be living in Brisbane Queensland if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!
Hi there

ABCDiamond has a good link for explaining school dates - http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_education.htm In fact there are many good links from him here on the forum and on his web pages - thank you abc if you are reading this

BB
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:51 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

HI All

So good to come across these postings, my husband is on a night shift and here I am again looking on the internet for reasurance that we are doing the right thing and I find that I am not the only one.
We too are desperately trying to sell our house and have had it on the market since September. Our initial entry stamp has to be in our passports by Feb 17th so finally realised that I have to go to Australia on the 27th Jan with 2 children, will have to go on my own as my husband has no holiday left and he has an Australian passport so not a problem for him.
Estate Agent has told us that 3 couples want our house but they too are having problems selling theirs. So lets up you are right and that market will pick up now for all of us.

Thanks!!

Hi there, not trying to be nosey nosey, but when I read your reply it looked as though you may have a spouse visa (coz your hubby has a Oz passport) and that you have to validate the visa by Feb 17th and intend going to Oz to validate without your hubby?
If I've got this wrong then just totally ignore me!!!
I have an Oz passport and my hubby has a spouse visa and we have been told that my hubby cannot validate his visa without me accompanying him to Oz and I have to actually walk through customs first. This info given to me may be wrong of course - but it's worth checking it out.
Just thought I would mention this as I would hate to think that you may get stuck at customs!!!
Shell
Old Jan 8th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hope all goes well with your house sale........the person who knows the most about house sales is Artep.......who is still in her piggin house!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:03 pm

HI All

Thanks so much for the replies. It is soooo good to know that we are not the only ones with so many questions and worries.
Blimey Shell, you have got us really worried now. If that is correct we are in trouble as my husband has used all his holiday and a bit more and we would not even have a last resort option of going sick as I dont think his employer British Airways would like him flying off to Australia whilst sick lol
So I am off to look up more information, I seem to have spent the last year of my life on the internet looking up information for Oz.
Wishing you all good luck with your weekend veiwings, we have one at 4pm so my family are getting really fed up with me now instructing them not to eat/get toys out/bath or pass wind (husband)

Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:52 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

HI All

Thanks so much for the replies. It is soooo good to know that we are not the only ones with so many questions and worries.
Blimey Shell, you have got us really worried now. If that is correct we are in trouble as my husband has used all his holiday and a bit more and we would not even have a last resort option of going sick as I dont think his employer British Airways would like him flying off to Australia whilst sick lol
So I am off to look up more information, I seem to have spent the last year of my life on the internet looking up information for Oz.
Wishing you all good luck with your weekend veiwings, we have one at 4pm so my family are getting really fed up with me now instructing them not to eat/get toys out/bath or pass wind (husband)

Hi there, sorry to cause you to worry - but I have dug out our letter regarding my hubby's spouse visa application from the Australian High Commission to clarify this for you. The letter was addressed to my husband who applied for the visa, with me as an Oz citizen sponsoring him.
The letter was dated May 2004 and stated 'Please also be aware that if your visa is granted there will be a condition attached to that visa stating that you must not enter Australia before your sponsor (condition 8502)'.
Therefore, my hubby cannot validate his visa without me being present with him and I actually have to enter Australia before him.
I'd definitely check this out if I were you.
Let me know how you get on.
Shell
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:08 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,
Hope the viewing went well. Our house has been on the market since June, we are just about to finish our contract with 3rd agent who has only managed to secure 2 viewings in 16 weeks, the 1st agent only 4 I think and the 2nd agent none. I have a new agent coming out on Wednesday to see house, apparently he will be brutally honest about whether the house is price correctly and will also give us a price for a quick sale. Fingers crossed for everyone trying to sell their house.
Hugs
Sarah
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:13 pm

Hi Shell
No dont be sorry, I am so pleased that you have told us. It would have been horrible not to have known this until we were stranded at the airport.
I need to look into it, my husband did enter Australia in October for 2 weeks but sure that this would make no difference. My guess is that they want the sponsor to be there when you enter and now thinking about it, that does make sense and I could kick myself for not looking into it sooner.
Its obstacle after obstacle isnt it. Have you made your initial entry into Oz yet?

Thanks again,
Sharon
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:18 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

Hi Shell
No dont be sorry, I am so pleased that you have told us. It would have been horrible not to have known this until we were stranded at the airport.
I need to look into it, my husband did enter Australia in October for 2 weeks but sure that this would make no difference. My guess is that they want the sponsor to be there when you enter and now thinking about it, that does make sense and I could kick myself for not looking into it sooner.
Its obstacle after obstacle isnt it. Have you made your initial entry into Oz yet?

Thanks again,
Sharon
Hi Sharon,
I felt terrible giving you bad news, but I was worried you would have a wasted trip and I would have wanted someone to tell me!!!!
We haven't made our intitial entry yet - but we need to do it by the beginning of May. Our sale is going through and hopefully (fingers crossed) we will be in Brisbane by Feb/Mar.
Where in Oz are you heading???
Shell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.