Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House/Land Packages.

House/Land Packages.

Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Default House/Land Packages.

I've been looking on realestate at prices of buying/renting in Secret Harbour areas. I've also looked on a few house/land packages and i'm just wondering if there's any catch. A couple that i've looked at are $354.900, and the other $368.000. and they look absolutely beautiful 4x2 homes.
That seems very cheap considering what you'd pick up for £160+K here in the UK, just that people say prices in Oz are on par if not dearer than the UK.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done it this way and if they found it better or worse than a ready to move in home.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: House/Land Packages.

Originally Posted by pazza
I've been looking on realestate at prices of buying/renting in Secret Harbour areas. I've also looked on a few house/land packages and i'm just wondering if there's any catch. A couple that i've looked at are $354.900, and the other $368.000. and they look absolutely beautiful 4x2 homes.
That seems very cheap considering what you'd pick up for £160+K here in the UK, just that people say prices in Oz are on par if not dearer than the UK.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done it this way and if they found it better or worse than a ready to move in home.
The prices you see are true and fair and they are nice houses. You could then spec them to your own requirements which add costs, or put in more plug points, but al in all they are good value. But you're living a fair bit away hence the price.

In Melbourne, for similair prices you can get a decent home and garden all done for about 280k upwards but middle of nowhere. And we'd therefore be able to buy outright, but we decided we wanted a better lifestyle for the kids and live in a surburb area with better, more established schools. Horses for courses...
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What you see is the cost of the land and a bare bones house. No floor covering, no window coverings, very few power points, no upgrades, no landscaping (or very little), just very very basic. Take the price listed and add about 10%.

We're building in Butler, NOR and our house & land package would have been listed at about $370000. After adding in "upgrades" such as more than one single power point in each room it came up to just over 403k. Like I said, add 10% for the things you will want/need in a new home.

Take a look also at what the builders include in their price. Some are more inclusive than others. Really, though, you have to be here to see the homes to get a feel for the quality of builder and the layout of the house. What you see on the internet is really hard to get a feel for until you actually see it in person.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:55 am
ABCDiamond

just that people say prices in Oz are on par if not dearer than the UK.
This can depend very much on area. Comparisons that are not like for like can be very misleading.

eg: Sydney area, 40km (25 miles) or 1 hour commute by train to CBD, 5 bed house cost $380,000 (or £173,000)

How does that compare to a similar UK house 1 hour by train from Central London ?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This can depend very much on area. Comparisons that are not like for like can be very misleading.

eg: Sydney area, 40km (25 miles) or 1 hour commute by train to CBD, 5 bed house cost $380,000 (or £173,000)

How does that compare to a similar UK house 1 hour by train from Central London ?
I think you know the answer to that one already! Then again, it will depend on whcih of the home counties you are in. A 4 bed detached house we sold in Bramley, Surrey, so about 50 mins by train to central London sold a few years ago fro £520,000, so about $1.2 million.

Fair bit of difference, and for the Brist coming over here, where a one hour commute is nothing, you're sorted...
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by slipshot
I think you know the answer to that one already! Then again, it will depend on whcih of the home counties you are in. A 4 bed detached house we sold in Bramley, Surrey, so about 50 mins by train to central London sold a few years ago fro £520,000, so about $1.2 million.

Fair bit of difference, and for the Brist coming over here, where a one hour commute is nothing, you're sorted...
Actually I have no real idea what the UK prices are these days.

It would be interesting to see what the "lower" priced areas 1 hours out of central London would cost.

Looking at the better areas of Sydney, Mona Vale (Northern Beaches) which is 28 km (17 m) north of Sydney CBD, has good properties for about the $1m mark.
So those two areas, Bramley and Mona Vale, may be closer to "like by like" comparisons, for people.

My last UK house was a 3 bed terrace, sold for under £100,000. I effectively swapped it for a 5 bed house near the water here in QLD
But that was a few years ago now, when there was no question to the answer to the price comparisons

Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the area. I lived in Brighton (Hove actually ) and house prices there were on a par with good London suburbs.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find, though, that the OP was asking about house and land packages in Perth's southern suburbs. Not resale homes 1 hour from Sydney's CBD.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:09 am
ABCDiamond

Oops, is Secret Harbour in Perth ?

Not near Darling Harbour then ?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:05 am
Still alive

Oops, is Secret Harbour in Perth ?

Not near Darling Harbour then ?
Yup. It's just south of Perth about 30 or so km. It's a newish housing estate close to the ocean, near the train and freeway. Looks pretty nice from what we've seen driving through and looking at display homes.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just designed a home (4 x 2 plus study, activity & alfresco) for my company which can be built for as little as £307,568 in a house & land package ...

Sitecosts
Carpets
Timber laminate flooring
Venetian blinds
Floor tiling to wet areas
Granite benchtops
Shower screens
Double GPO's
etc
etc
etc
etc

It can be done, dependant on where you'd like to live.

The price above is based on a land release at Lakelands, just North of Mandurah.

Good value.

Last edited by Three Legs; Feb 27th 2009 at 9:25 am. Reason: Missed the sitecosts ... nearly diddled you.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Thanks for the info.

We seen a few display homes in Gold Coast 3 year ago and the agent we were talking to showed us the list of everything you get with the package, and they had a little box next to each item. They told us to go through it and tick all the boxes we required, and leave any boxes i thought i could do the work myself, Landscaping, patio, etc, which they would then knock off the package price.
With me being a builder i thought i could maybes save quite a bit of money, but i don't know if i'd rather just let them do everything to save me the hassle.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I've just designed a home (4 x 2 plus study, activity & alfresco) for my company which can be built for as little as £307,568 in a house & land package ...

Carpets
Timber laminate flooring
Venetian blinds
Floor tiling to wet areas
Granite benchtops
Shower screens
Double GPO's
etc
etc
etc
etc

It can be done, dependant on where you'd like to live.

The price above is based on a land release at Lakelands, just North of Mandurah.

Good value.

Hi 3,
That sounds absolutely amazing.
I've got to nip out now but i speak to you later.