Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hottest temperature in Sydney

Hottest temperature in Sydney

Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough
Default Hottest temperature in Sydney

I know it's winter, but I have just rented a house without A/C in Sydney. Will I boil to death in the summer? What is the hottest temperature you've experienced? Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hottest temperature in Sydney

Hi there,

The hotest I ever experienced was about 44 degrees, i think it was in 2005..
Damm Hot !!

Buy a big Fan just in case !!

Sydney Summers will always chuck a few very hot days at you so be prepared....Its the humidity that bothers me though .

You will survive ,

Cheers,
Mark
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:44 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mark1963
Hi there,

The hotest I ever experienced was about 44 degrees, i think it was in 2005..
Damm Hot !!

Buy a big Fan just in case !!

Sydney Summers will always chuck a few very hot days at you so be prepared....Its the humidity that bothers me though .

You will survive ,

Cheers,
Mark
Yes they managed to survive in OZ before the 1950's when airconditioning was invented. The solution is if you are in a rental house is to buy one of those portable airconditioning units around $500-$1000.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I remember one day when it got to 47 degrees in the early 90s. I didn't have air conditioning and it was pretty hot.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sushimania
I know it's winter, but I have just rented a house without A/C in Sydney. Will I boil to death in the summer? What is the hottest temperature you've experienced? Thanks.
The maximum in Sydney will vary a lot depending on exactly what part of Sydney.

Western Sydney sometimes hits 47°C, but in the East, nearer the water, it is never that bad.

Example:
Dec 2009 Highest Temperature recorded:

32.0°C Sydney (Observatory Hill)
35.2°C Terrey Hills
41.8°C Parramatta
43.1°C Camden

I have lived both in Western Sydney and in the City itself. In the West I ran the air con 24 hours a day, but in the City, in my first few years in Australia, I only used it on odd occasions.

Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:13 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes they managed to survive in OZ before the 1950's when airconditioning was invented. The solution is if you are in a rental house is to buy one of those portable airconditioning units around $500-$1000.
Or an evaporative cooler for around $100.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:15 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seasider
Or an evaporative cooler for around $100.
yes but its not as good as an airconditioner, l think buy a portable airconditioner if in a rental house.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:21 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We (BE) have this discussion every year. The cheap option worked for us in our rental; I wouldn't have spent much more on something unless it was going to be long-term.

Now we own we have aircon in two rooms (living and master bed) and will be putting in ceiling fans before Summer arrives. Much healthier than aircon, and pretty much all we used in Singapore so I'm sure will do the job here.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:25 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

the hottest day we had was 45
i think that was about 5 years ago and it was on new years day !
i sobered up quick that day
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by soapy©
the hottest day we had was 45
i think that was about 5 years ago and it was on new years day !
i sobered up quick that day
1st Jan 2006 was the day, we arrived 2 weeks earlier and wondered on that day whether we had made a mistake and wouldn't be able to cope with the temperatures.

Since that day I've happily got through every summer without air con. This year I have air con in my bedroom although unless it is really hot I think the reverse cycle heating bit will prove more useful on the cold winter evenings.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:19 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
1st Jan 2006 was the day, we arrived 2 weeks earlier and wondered on that day whether we had made a mistake and wouldn't be able to cope with the temperatures.

Since that day I've happily got through every summer without air con. This year I have air con in my bedroom although unless it is really hot I think the reverse cycle heating bit will prove more useful on the cold winter evenings.
yip that was the day. just checked old photos.

i bet you do use the heat more than the aircon lol
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:36 pm
Auntie Fa

We have portable panel heaters but our cats love sitting by the reverse aircon

NYE 2001 was incredibly hot too. Some fool decided it would be a good idea to get married in it, just before noon, in the Botanic Gardens
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:22 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

No-one's asked I don't think... what kind of house is it? Wood, brick veneer, has it got insulation and where in Sydney?!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

It's brick house in Mosman area. Does it get very hot?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:33 pm
Master of verbal pish©

It's brick house in Mosman area. Does it get very hot?
yes it can get very hot.
keep blids closed during the day and dont let the sun in. that should help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.