Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hotels-Where to stay KL.

Hotels-Where to stay KL.

Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotels-Where to stay KL.

We are stopping off in Kl on the way back from Ireland in July for five days.Has anyone got any suggestions for where to stay and what to do.We are two adults and and a 14 and 12 year old.Thanks in advanced.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotels-Where to stay KL.

I like the Hilton (and Le Meridien next door), it's almost right on top of the KL Sentral station where the train from the airport arrives (the proper airport that is, not the Air Asia version! - from the low cost terminal you can get a bus to KL Sentral for about $3). It's not particularly walkable to other areas, but is also a short walk from the train that goes through the city as well.

Another place I stayed which was much more central to shopping etc. was the Grand Millennium....it was good too.

It's all about shopping in KL, but I don't find it especially cheap.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

If you are flying with Malaysian have a look at which hotels they offer for stopovers. They usually have some good deals and all are good hotels.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:41 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We are stopping off in Kl on the way back from Ireland in July for five days.Has anyone got any suggestions for where to stay and what to do.We are two adults and and a 14 and 12 year old.Thanks in advanced.
My wife and I were running through a list of best and worst hotels we have ever stayed in today... my vote for one of the best hotels was the Shangri La in KL.

(..the worst hotel was the Campanile at Calais....)

BB
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I cant remember for the life of me where we stayed but stuff to do I can remember.
http://www.kuala-lumpur.ws/attractions/batu-caves.htm

http://www.malaysiasite.nl/twinseng.htm

http://www.malaysiasite.nl/timessquareng.htm (indoor roller coaster/ fun fair and shopping!!)

Theres also china town, soooooo cool at night! http://www.kuala-lumpur.ws/klareas/chinatown.htm
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Just come back from two weeks in KL and Penang. Stayed at the Royale Chulan in KL - approx AUD120pn inc b'fast. Would def recommend. Check out TripAdvisor for current reviews. 5 min walk to Pavilion Shopping Centre and Bukit Bintang (main strip).

Shopping is fab - bought 12 pairs of shoes - most around $12-$15 mark! Can eat v cheaply or equiv to Aus or Melb.

For kids would recommend Sunway Lagoon - water based theme park. Berjaya Times Square is a shopping mall with a theme park inside. Sunway shopping centre has an ice rink. KLCC has a science park inside. MegaMall at Mid Valley has cinemas and a bowling alley. I bought my eldest (15) a local SIM card and he and younger were left to occupy themselves whilst I shopped.

HTH
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Stayed at The Shangri-la and mandarin oriental and both excellent but the mandarin has the edge (IMO). I must say KL not my favourite city. With 5 days I would get a short domestic flight and head up to langkawi or Penang
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I must say KL not my favourite city. With 5 days I would get a short domestic flight and head up to langkawi or Penang
I was thinking exactly the same thing...it's a 2-day stop for me, tops.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I was thinking exactly the same thing...it's a 2-day stop for me, tops.
I've got deja vu

I've only stayed at The Westin, which was very good but not such an attraction after one of The Geek's ex-colleagues got murdered there.

The Geek stayed at The Trade's a lot, and rated it, especially for location.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We've stayed at the Ritz Carlton a couple of times, in KL its a small boutique hotel and staff knew your name which was nice!

KL is good for a couple of days, totally crazy place and very different to Singapore. You can see a lot more of old life, run down buildings, live chickens being sold on the street - that type of thing.

Shopping was pretty good and cheap last time we went as was eating out.

Just plan your day around the daily thunderstorm at 3pm because when it rains, it rains!

If you want a posh afternoon tea go tp the Carcosa Seri Negara in the lake gardens. It's the old Governors house which is now a posh hotel but know for yourself where it is as I've had to direct taxi drivers there!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for the suggestions.Will read them all properly tomorrow.Just in the door after a twelve hour drive back from Coral Bay.Looking forward to planning the next holiday.Thanks again.
Old May 4th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we are just back from 5 days in KL (and 7 in Langkawi).

We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton, which was fab. Brand new hotel and the staff were lovely, especially with our daughter. pool was fine but not spectacular.

We have also stayed at the Westin and the Marriot which have the advantage of being across the road from a great food court, with a huge range of food choices, and near a LRT/metro stop.

Chinatown is good for copies of famous stuff.Central market for fish spa. Zoo is pretty good. Genting highlands has a theme park(s)- about an hour out of KL.
Old May 4th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at the Berjaya Times Square Hotel which was fantastic. Right on a monorail stop, internal entrance to the Times Square Shopping Mall, vast swimming pool and superb breakfast. Link below

http://www.berjayahotel.com/kualalumpur/index.asp

We also went to Sunway Lagoon (and stayed there for a couple of nights) which was great. There is also Genting Highlands resort - bit older than Sunway - but fab views as it's right up in the hills (about an hour out of KL and via a cable car for the last drag).

Love KL!

We have also stayed at the Renaissance which is very nice (quite close to the Petronas Towers) and also the Park Royal - fine but nothing special.
Old May 4th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Crow
We stayed at the Berjaya Times Square Hotel which was fantastic. Right on a monorail stop, internal entrance to the Times Square Shopping Mall, vast swimming pool and superb breakfast. Link below

http://www.berjayahotel.com/kualalumpur/index.asp

We also went to Sunway Lagoon (and stayed there for a couple of nights) which was great. There is also Genting Highlands resort - bit older than Sunway - but fab views as it's right up in the hills (about an hour out of KL and via a cable car for the last drag).

Love KL!

We have also stayed at the Renaissance which is very nice (quite close to the Petronas Towers) and also the Park Royal - fine but nothing special.
THanks Guys.Havent booked anything yet.Kids go back to school today so need to get on with it.
Old May 5th 2011, 8:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If the budget will stretch to it, go for the Mandarin Oriental - a very fine hotel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.