British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   hotels in singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hotels-singapore-481742/)

tony s Sep 17th 2007 4:12 pm

hotels in singapore

hi all, we are thinking of stoping over in singapore for a nite or two.[2 adults 2 kids] are they close by the airport, prices etc. also if you take your luggage out of airport do lose your extra baggage allowance???? as anyone done it with kids and do you recommend it.

thanks tony

carolk Sep 17th 2007 4:29 pm

Re: hotels in singapore

Hiya
I would recommend stopping in Singapore. I would recommend it even without kids!
I haven't done it with kids before, but we have an 18 month old and we are having 3 nights in Singapore. The break in the journey will help, and it means all will get good sleep during the stop, so you'll be more refreshed for the next leg of the journey.
Singapore's got good things for kids - Singapore Zoo, is great, accessible by the MRT, Sentosa Island has beaches, a scenic train ride and uses cable cars to get to the island. You'll also find a good mix of cuisines so nobody should turn down their food!
Orchard Road, the main road with plenty of hotels around it, is only about 30mins drive from the airport. Singapore is only very small.
The York Hotel is a good 3 star (I think) hotel, a little behind Orchard Road, and only a short walk from a MRT station. I think they even offer babysitting if you want a night off!
If you fly with Singapore Airlines you can get discounted hotel rates and a free tourist card which offers disocunts at restaurants and shops (selected) and free entry to various tourist attractions. Book it along with your flights. It's booked through the airline, but the travel agent can book it aswell if you are going through an agent!
Hope that helps!!

carolk Sep 17th 2007 4:32 pm

Oh, I forgot about the luggage - you should still get the extra allowance on the journey Singapore - Australia, but there have been reports of this being queried upon departure from Singapore. Other posts recommend printing out a copy of the email that Singapore Airlines sends out that states the conditions of the excess baggage allowance, this seems to work!

tony s Sep 17th 2007 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by carolk (Post 5322058)
Hiya
I would recommend stopping in Singapore. I would recommend it even without kids!
I haven't done it with kids before, but we have an 18 month old and we are having 3 nights in Singapore. The break in the journey will help, and it means all will get good sleep during the stop, so you'll be more refreshed for the next leg of the journey.
Singapore's got good things for kids - Singapore Zoo, is great, accessible by the MRT, Sentosa Island has beaches, a scenic train ride and uses cable cars to get to the island. You'll also find a good mix of cuisines so nobody should turn down their food!
Orchard Road, the main road with plenty of hotels around it, is only about 30mins drive from the airport. Singapore is only very small.
The York Hotel is a good 3 star (I think) hotel, a little behind Orchard Road, and only a short walk from a MRT station. I think they even offer babysitting if you want a night off!
If you fly with Singapore Airlines you can get discounted hotel rates and a free tourist card which offers disocunts at restaurants and shops (selected) and free entry to various tourist attractions. Book it along with your flights. It's booked through the airline, but the travel agent can book it aswell if you are going through an agent!
Hope that helps!!

thanks for the info that has really helped. can you leave your luggage anywhere at the airport as i think we will have to many to lug about town.

thanks again

carolk Sep 17th 2007 6:25 pm

Yeah, apparently there are good affordable storage facilities at Singapore airport. I don't know where exactly, I've never used them, but I'm sure you'll see signs or just ask at the info desk. I'm pretty sure that Changi airport actaully has a website of it's own, so you could look that up and I'm sure it would have all info about storage facilities.
Worst case scenario you could take the bags with you, all you'll need to do is collect them from the airport and check them in again, because otherwise the transfer/ taxi driver will lift them in and out of the car/ minibus, and the porters at the hotel can take them to and from your hotel room, but still the airport storage idea sounds easier, doesn't it??;)

tony s Sep 17th 2007 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by carolk (Post 5322465)
Yeah, apparently there are good affordable storage facilities at Singapore airport. I don't know where exactly, I've never used them, but I'm sure you'll see signs or just ask at the info desk. I'm pretty sure that Changi airport actaully has a website of it's own, so you could look that up and I'm sure it would have all info about storage facilities.
Worst case scenario you could take the bags with you, all you'll need to do is collect them from the airport and check them in again, because otherwise the transfer/ taxi driver will lift them in and out of the car/ minibus, and the porters at the hotel can take them to and from your hotel room, but still the airport storage idea sounds easier, doesn't it??;)

thats great. thankx karma on its way:thumbsup:

I_Will_Freckle Sep 17th 2007 7:36 pm

We are heading off for Singapore this saturday. We are staying on sentosa for 3 nights to give my wee fella some opportunities for playing. There are a very wide range of hotels in singapore and it should be easy to find something suitable.

tony s Sep 17th 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 5322673)
We are heading off for Singapore this saturday. We are staying on sentosa for 3 nights to give my wee fella some opportunities for playing. There are a very wide range of hotels in singapore and it should be easy to find something suitable.

hi, did you pre book your hotel when you got a flight no. not sure how to go about gettin set up.we are due to book flights in next 2 weeks.

thanks tony

I_Will_Freckle Sep 17th 2007 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by tony s (Post 5322692)
hi, did you pre book your hotel when you got a flight no. not sure how to go about gettin set up.we are due to book flights in next 2 weeks.

thanks tony

We booked our flights first. Our travel agent worked it out that it was cheaper just to book directly with the hotel, rather than use Singapore air's "discount". We are staying here. there is a very wide range of hotels in singapore and you are sure to find something that suits you and your family.

tony s Sep 17th 2007 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 5322788)
We booked our flights first. Our travel agent worked it out that it was cheaper just to book directly with the hotel, rather than use Singapore air's "discount". We are staying here. there is a very wide range of hotels in singapore and you are sure to find something that suits you and your family.

thankyou for your info. we were going go straight thru, but i think we will stop over now.

thanks again

suzimc Sep 17th 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by carolk (Post 5322465)

They've got a left luggage counter: http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...t_faqs.html#Q7

It might be worth checking if you can leave it there overnight etc.

Mel n Daz Sep 17th 2007 9:50 pm

We stayed at Sentosa Island for 3 nights at the Shangri La and it was amazing, people were very friendly, food was fab etc. Would highly recommend.

The transfers were easy from the airport and we left 8 suitcases in 'left luggage' too. Very simple to do and cheap.

Have fun
melis:)

sammyg Sep 18th 2007 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by tony s (Post 5323108)
thankyou for your info. we were going go straight thru, but i think we will stop over now.

thanks again

Try asiarooms.com for hotels - they seem pretty good:)

sammyg Sep 18th 2007 2:23 pm

Actually -ignore me! Just had a look on their website and the prices are about 4 x what they were a couple of years ago:thumbdown: