Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hotels in singapore

hotels in singapore

Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice
Default hotels in singapore

hi all, we are thinking of stoping over in singapore for a nite or two.[2 adults 2 kids] are they close by the airport, prices etc. also if you take your luggage out of airport do lose your extra baggage allowance???? as anyone done it with kids and do you recommend it.

thanks tony
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: hotels in singapore

Hiya
I would recommend stopping in Singapore. I would recommend it even without kids!
I haven't done it with kids before, but we have an 18 month old and we are having 3 nights in Singapore. The break in the journey will help, and it means all will get good sleep during the stop, so you'll be more refreshed for the next leg of the journey.
Singapore's got good things for kids - Singapore Zoo, is great, accessible by the MRT, Sentosa Island has beaches, a scenic train ride and uses cable cars to get to the island. You'll also find a good mix of cuisines so nobody should turn down their food!
Orchard Road, the main road with plenty of hotels around it, is only about 30mins drive from the airport. Singapore is only very small.
The York Hotel is a good 3 star (I think) hotel, a little behind Orchard Road, and only a short walk from a MRT station. I think they even offer babysitting if you want a night off!
If you fly with Singapore Airlines you can get discounted hotel rates and a free tourist card which offers disocunts at restaurants and shops (selected) and free entry to various tourist attractions. Book it along with your flights. It's booked through the airline, but the travel agent can book it aswell if you are going through an agent!
Hope that helps!!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, I forgot about the luggage - you should still get the extra allowance on the journey Singapore - Australia, but there have been reports of this being queried upon departure from Singapore. Other posts recommend printing out a copy of the email that Singapore Airlines sends out that states the conditions of the excess baggage allowance, this seems to work!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolk
Hiya
I would recommend stopping in Singapore. I would recommend it even without kids!
I haven't done it with kids before, but we have an 18 month old and we are having 3 nights in Singapore. The break in the journey will help, and it means all will get good sleep during the stop, so you'll be more refreshed for the next leg of the journey.
Singapore's got good things for kids - Singapore Zoo, is great, accessible by the MRT, Sentosa Island has beaches, a scenic train ride and uses cable cars to get to the island. You'll also find a good mix of cuisines so nobody should turn down their food!
Orchard Road, the main road with plenty of hotels around it, is only about 30mins drive from the airport. Singapore is only very small.
The York Hotel is a good 3 star (I think) hotel, a little behind Orchard Road, and only a short walk from a MRT station. I think they even offer babysitting if you want a night off!
If you fly with Singapore Airlines you can get discounted hotel rates and a free tourist card which offers disocunts at restaurants and shops (selected) and free entry to various tourist attractions. Book it along with your flights. It's booked through the airline, but the travel agent can book it aswell if you are going through an agent!
Hope that helps!!
thanks for the info that has really helped. can you leave your luggage anywhere at the airport as i think we will have to many to lug about town.

thanks again
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, apparently there are good affordable storage facilities at Singapore airport. I don't know where exactly, I've never used them, but I'm sure you'll see signs or just ask at the info desk. I'm pretty sure that Changi airport actaully has a website of it's own, so you could look that up and I'm sure it would have all info about storage facilities.
Worst case scenario you could take the bags with you, all you'll need to do is collect them from the airport and check them in again, because otherwise the transfer/ taxi driver will lift them in and out of the car/ minibus, and the porters at the hotel can take them to and from your hotel room, but still the airport storage idea sounds easier, doesn't it??
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, apparently there are good affordable storage facilities at Singapore airport. I don't know where exactly, I've never used them, but I'm sure you'll see signs or just ask at the info desk. I'm pretty sure that Changi airport actaully has a website of it's own, so you could look that up and I'm sure it would have all info about storage facilities.
Worst case scenario you could take the bags with you, all you'll need to do is collect them from the airport and check them in again, because otherwise the transfer/ taxi driver will lift them in and out of the car/ minibus, and the porters at the hotel can take them to and from your hotel room, but still the airport storage idea sounds easier, doesn't it??
thats great. thankx karma on its way
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:36 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

We are heading off for Singapore this saturday. We are staying on sentosa for 3 nights to give my wee fella some opportunities for playing. There are a very wide range of hotels in singapore and it should be easy to find something suitable.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
We are heading off for Singapore this saturday. We are staying on sentosa for 3 nights to give my wee fella some opportunities for playing. There are a very wide range of hotels in singapore and it should be easy to find something suitable.
hi, did you pre book your hotel when you got a flight no. not sure how to go about gettin set up.we are due to book flights in next 2 weeks.

thanks tony
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:00 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tony s
hi, did you pre book your hotel when you got a flight no. not sure how to go about gettin set up.we are due to book flights in next 2 weeks.

thanks tony
We booked our flights first. Our travel agent worked it out that it was cheaper just to book directly with the hotel, rather than use Singapore air's "discount". We are staying here. there is a very wide range of hotels in singapore and you are sure to find something that suits you and your family.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
We booked our flights first. Our travel agent worked it out that it was cheaper just to book directly with the hotel, rather than use Singapore air's "discount". We are staying here. there is a very wide range of hotels in singapore and you are sure to find something that suits you and your family.
thankyou for your info. we were going go straight thru, but i think we will stop over now.

thanks again
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

They've got a left luggage counter: http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...t_faqs.html#Q7

It might be worth checking if you can leave it there overnight etc.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

We stayed at Sentosa Island for 3 nights at the Shangri La and it was amazing, people were very friendly, food was fab etc. Would highly recommend.

The transfers were easy from the airport and we left 8 suitcases in 'left luggage' too. Very simple to do and cheap.

Have fun
melis
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony s
thankyou for your info. we were going go straight thru, but i think we will stop over now.

thanks again

Try asiarooms.com for hotels - they seem pretty good
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Actually -ignore me! Just had a look on their website and the prices are about 4 x what they were a couple of years ago