Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hotel / rental complexes in brisbane

Hotel / rental complexes in brisbane

Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:18 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Hotel / rental complexes in brisbane

here's the plan...fly out of Heathrow and land in Brisbane two days later. Going to stay in a hotel / motel complex, etc for the first 3-4 days whilst we look round rental options.

Can anyone recommend a decent/cheap-ish hotel or equivalent for those first few days? ideally not too far from the airport/CBD, etc.

thanks,

Rob
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel / rental complexes in brisbane

Rob, what happened to your rental with the sea view? Still in the market for it or are you going to look at other stuff?

As for the hotel, how far in advance do you want to book? To be honest anything in the CBD thats half decent wont be terribly cheap (unless you dont mind sharing with cockroaches ), if you want somewhere decent but not exhorbitant, try the Goodearth Hotel . Rates are usually around $120/night, Ive stayed there & happily recommend it.

Other than that, if you dont mind winging it, try www.wotif.com or www.quickbeds.com.au or www.lastminute.com.au for last minute accomodation. However you can only book 2 weeks in advance max, not so good for your blood pressure if you are the sort that likes things organised .
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:49 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Rob, what happened to your rental with the sea view? Still in the market for it or are you going to look at other stuff?

As for the hotel, how far in advance do you want to book? To be honest anything in the CBD thats half decent wont be terribly cheap (unless you dont mind sharing with cockroaches ), if you want somewhere decent but not exhorbitant, try the Goodearth Hotel . Rates are usually around $120/night, Ive stayed there & happily recommend it.

Other than that, if you dont mind winging it, try www.wotif.com or www.quickbeds.com.au or www.lastminute.com.au for last minute accomodation. However you can only book 2 weeks in advance max, not so good for your blood pressure if you are the sort that likes things organised .

I have been dipping onto the goodearth hotel site but it wont let me know about rates and available dates etc!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
I have been dipping onto the goodearth hotel site but it wont let me know about rates and available dates etc!
Yeah I saw that after Id posted it! I think its rooted (in aussie terms )

I did a huge post yonks ago about good hotels in & around the CBD but since the search isnt as kind as it used to be Im buggered with regards to finding it!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:54 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Stayed here a couple of years ago

http://www.dahrlcourt.com.au/

very central

http://www.dahrlcourt.com.au/getting-here.html

An old building, and had the sense the floor was slopeing, but had been on a plane for 26 hrs.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Well I'll be damned - I found it!

Have a look at this thread Rob

Good place to stay for a few nights in Brisbane

Spring Hill Terraces & Hotel Astore are both a bit cheaper that Good Earth, but probably not quite as nice.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:57 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Thanks guys - all helpful.

The 'sea' view might still be on, but there ain't no way I'm renting somewhere I've never seen before - from friends or otherwise!

Appreciate the insight. Perfectly happy to wing it so will probably do a 'last minute' deal thing.

Cheers,

Rob