Hotel and car hire Nz

Wikiposts

Hotel and car hire Nz

Old Jul 16th 2003, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hotel and car hire Nz

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone can recomend any middle of the road hotels in Christchurch? and a car hire firm that we can use that will allow us to drop off the car in Nelson/

Just 16 days to go:scared:

Very emotional!!!!

Tori
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at www.wotif.com, you can book 12 days in advance and they are really cheap, they currently have 4* in Christchurch for 90$ a night. Even if you don't book through them they have the hotel details and you could even try contacting the hotel directly for a longer stay deal.

We have looked at car hire and found companies that will hire out slightly older cars at a much cheaper rate but I can't remember who they are.

Regards,
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Jan
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

steve williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hotel and car hire Nz

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone can recomend any middle of the road hotels in Christchurch? and a car hire firm that we can use that will allow us to drop off the car in Nelson/

Very emotional!!!!

Tori
Dont be tempted to use AAA car hire we did and will never again. They quoted us $40 a day car with trailer to carry luggage (vast amount 600kgs). When we got there he said his $40 cars did not have tow bars so we'd have to hire a $90 a day van(all the gear fitted in the van, no trailer required). Best to book at the airport when you arrive at Christchurch. All the main ones are there.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:56 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Ace car rentals are very good, no probs & about 80 quid for 3 days. They should have offices in Ch/ch & Nelson.
look 'em up on the web.

www.acecarrentals.co.nz I think, if not its something similar.

Try the budget motel chain, basic, but all you need, its where we are at the mo!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Ace car rentals are very good, no probs & about 80 quid for 3 days. They should have offices in Ch/ch & Nelson.
look 'em up on the web.

www.acecarrentals.co.nz I think, if not its something similar.

Try the budget motel chain, basic, but all you need, its where we are at the mo!!!!
Hi Alan

How are things? What have you done so far? TELL ME MORE?
Tori
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hotel and car hire Nz

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hi all

Very emotional!!!!

Tori

Hi Tori

I used www.hotelclub.net when booking hotels in Oz, they do great deals, only stayed in hostels mainly in NZ so can't recommend any hotels, apart from Rydges chain, used them in Queenstown.

Keep us updated when you get to Nelson, I have great memories of there and hope to take Graham and Oliver one day.

Teresa
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

This is the company that I found

http://www.carrentalsnz.net.nz/car_types.htm#Deluxe_a

We are thinking of taking a Delux A car for 20 days which works out at a grand sum of £250. Given that we were quoted £195 for a week here (our car broke down this week - but at £195 a week I'll walk instead!) I think that is a real bargain.

If you look, the rates for delux a (2-5 years old) are cheaper than delux b (4-7 years old) for the next few months which is odd.

Has anyone used this company?

The rates for the cars are very close, can anyone recommend a car, the choices are we are looking at are :

Mazda Familia 4 door sedan or similar 1.5 ltr - 1.6 ltr
Sedan Bluebird sedan or similar 2.0 ltr
Nissan Primera 4 door sedan or similar 1.8 ltr - 2.0 ltr
Toyota Corolla 5 door stationwagon

The plan is to arrive in Auckland, go north and then south as far as Christchurch, we have small children with us so will not be doing anything too adventurous. We will need 4 doors though and will probably be spending a reasonable amount of time in it so something fairly comfortable would be nice.

Cheers,
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by icklepickle
This is the company that I found

http://www.carrentalsnz.net.nz/car_types.htm#Deluxe_a

We are thinking of taking a Delux A car for 20 days which works out at a grand sum of £250. Given that we were quoted £195 for a week here (our car broke down this week - but at £195 a week I'll walk instead!) I think that is a real bargain.

If you look, the rates for delux a (2-5 years old) are cheaper than delux b (4-7 years old) for the next few months which is odd.

Has anyone used this company?

The rates for the cars are very close, can anyone recommend a car, the choices are we are looking at are :

Mazda Familia 4 door sedan or similar 1.5 ltr - 1.6 ltr
Sedan Bluebird sedan or similar 2.0 ltr
Nissan Primera 4 door sedan or similar 1.8 ltr - 2.0 ltr
Toyota Corolla 5 door stationwagon

The plan is to arrive in Auckland, go north and then south as far as Christchurch, we have small children with us so will not be doing anything too adventurous. We will need 4 doors though and will probably be spending a reasonable amount of time in it so something fairly comfortable would be nice.

Cheers,
When you off then?

Job hunting while your there ?

I've got 3 very young kids(4,3,1) so I'm interested to know are you staying in hotels along the way or use motels(self-catering)?

Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

We are going in August - might do a bit of job hunting, but as it is not me that would need to get a job it's not totally (;-)) up to me.

We are going to stay in the poshest hotels we can for $100 a night, and are going to book the first 2 or 3 nights in Auckland before we go. We are going to use www.wotif.co.nz to book, I have emailed them about certain hotels etc and they seem really helpful, there is also a telephone number to call once you get to NZ. A lot of the hotels seem to have kitchenettes which will be good as we will not have to eat out every night and so will be better for the kids and will also cut costs. I am also hoping to stay at a farmstay and B&B accomodation as we travel around.

Cheers,
Old Jul 20th 2003, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jan

We are also coming over in Aug and will be staying in Auckland for 10 days job hunting for my wife and I. We have a 6 year old and a 2 years old, so should be fun and interesting. Then we will be going traveling North and South for 15 days. I will be posting my propsed route soon to get some feedback.
I will look at whatif.com as we will need the first weeks accomodation in Auckland when we arrive.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Paul
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

I have just remembered a thread that I posted a while ago and think that there is a major football tournament (apologies if I have the wrong sport) in Auckland on the weekend of the 16/17th August, so you might find accomodation difficult to book then but if you are booking the first 10 days in advance you should be fine.

It sounds as if we are going to be there at the same time, maybe we could meet up somewhere in Auckland. If anyone else is visiting or those of you that are already there fancy meeting up and sharing the benefit of your experience with us that would be great.

The other good news is that August bargain hotel prices are being published now and they seem to be going down quite nicely.

Cheers,
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

August 16th is when the All Blacks take on Australia in the Rugby.

Accomodation may be tight in Auckland on this night.

If you are planning on being in Auckland on this night them my advice is to book now.