Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hot weather getting me down!

Hot weather getting me down!

Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:00 pm
Merlot

Talking The British & the Weather

I smiled all through the posts.

The British tend to have reputation for complaining/talking about the weather (apologies to those who posted and are not British).

It is heartening to know things like this remain constant.

Today on NSW Central Coast things are cooler if you can believe, they predict 30 degrees and poss thunder storm! Mind 38 on Wednesday - yuk!!!!

Merlot

Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:56 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Merlot, if you can get water to evaporate in or very near the house, it can really cool down the inside. We have a tiled floor in most of the downstairs in our place in Europe, where is often 35 degrees C. We just wash the floor and leave plenty of water there to evaporate after rinsing it, that reduces the temperature quite a bit for a fair while.

Maybe hose down the yard if you haven't got a tiled floor?
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Merlot, if you can get water to evaporate in or very near the house, it can really cool down the inside. We have a tiled floor in most of the downstairs in our place in Europe, where is often 35 degrees C. We just wash the floor and leave plenty of water there to evaporate after rinsing it, that reduces the temperature quite a bit for a fair while.

Maybe hose down the yard if you haven't got a tiled floor?
That works well in dry heat but I think Merlot is more likely to already have the humidity. Only thing that works in the humidity is a great big airconditioner that sucks the water out of the air.

Brisbanes currently going through a mild spell its just around the 30 nothng too drastic at the mo. Overcast too, so no scorching effect. See down south is a boiler tho.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:18 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

True enough, Dottmeister. We only have very dry heat over there and 35 degrees C doesn't actually feel that hot anymore.

We were 40 or so for a bad few days and that WAS on the warm side, though.