Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hot water system timer to save electricity?

Hot water system timer to save electricity?

Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Question Hot water system timer to save electricity?

I have been living in my own house since September 2013 and my electricity bill is averaging $350 every two months i.e. $175 a month. My hot water system is on 24/7 and I only really need it piping hot (60°C) in the morning to shower etc...

What are my options in having a timer installed to switch it off during the day and only heat up again in the early hours?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hot water system timer to save electricity?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I have been living in my own house since September 2013 and my electricity bill is averaging $350 every two months i.e. $175 a month. My hot water system is on 24/7 and I only really need it piping hot (60°C) in the morning to shower etc...

What are my options in having a timer installed to switch it off during the day and only heat up again in the early hours?
Some things to consider:
The boiler will use a lot of electricty to warm the water from cold, but relatively little to keep it warm. In your scenario you will be heating the water from cold (or at least cool) every day
Don't you need hot water in the evening?
We have an air source heat pump that is very efficient (nearly as efficient as solar apparently) that was not too expensive to install (subsidised)
Old Jul 4th 2014, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Solar hot water with an electric booster? Heat pump? There certainly are off peak deals you can sign up to but we've had dollar for over 30 yrs and it's paid itself off many times over!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some things to consider:
The boiler will use a lot of electricty to warm the water from cold, but relatively little to keep it warm. In your scenario you will be heating the water from cold (or at least cool) every day
Don't you need hot water in the evening?
We have an air source heat pump that is very efficient (nearly as efficient as solar apparently) that was not too expensive to install (subsidised)
Yeah, I've done some research on the pros and cons of having it on and off and energy required to heat from cold etc...

I do need hot in the evening, but not much. Explain a bit more about the air source heat pump please?

Originally Posted by quoll
Solar hot water with an electric booster? Heat pump? There certainly are off peak deals you can sign up to but we've had dollar for over 30 yrs and it's paid itself off many times over!
Thanks. I will look into all options. There must be a better and cheaper way than I have now.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 4th 2014 at 9:14 am.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

You could go on to an 'overnight' meter system for the hot water. Its much cheaper, but if you use all your hot water during the day, you wont get any more until the next night - so make sure you have a big tank like 400 litres.

Depending on what State you live in, you need to get a licensed electrician to put a request in to the power company to install the second meter or add the feature to a smart meter (if that's what you already have). In Queensland, its called a 'Form 2'. The power company will then come out and sort the meter and hopefully be kind enough to link your hot water circuit to it, otherwise, you'll need to get the electricians to come back and put the link in for you.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
You could go on to an 'overnight' meter system for the hot water. Its much cheaper, but if you use all your hot water during the day, you wont get any more until the next night - so make sure you have a big tank like 400 litres.

Depending on what State you live in, you need to get a licensed electrician to put a request in to the power company to install the second meter or add the feature to a smart meter (if that's what you already have). In Queensland, its called a 'Form 2'. The power company will then come out and sort the meter and hopefully be kind enough to link your hot water circuit to it, otherwise, you'll need to get the electricians to come back and put the link in for you.
Thank you and sounds really good.

I am in QLD. I don't use any hot water during the day when at work and hardly any during the day on weekends either, only early mornings to shower really. Washing machine and dishwasher use cold only. Will look into it for sure.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've done some research on the pros and cons of having it on and off and energy required to heat from cold etc...

I do need hot in the evening, but not much. Explain a bit more about the air source heat pump please?
Air source heat pumps / Choosing a renewable technology / Generating energy / Home (England) - Energy Saving Trust England

Instant Hot Water Systems, Solar Hot Water Heater, Room Heaters - Stiebel Eltorn

We have a Steibel unit

It works in the opposite way to an air conditioner - takes heat from outside air (even relatively cold air) and is highly efficient

We had ours installed about 7 years ago and it is still going strong. One criticism of the model we have is that it is a bot noisy when operating. Not really a problem as it is on the opposite side of the house but something to be aware of

We got a subsidy off the feds when we installed it - not sure if that is still available
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my hot water on of peak for years. ie heats from 11pm. I have a large tank and never ran out of hot water even when there was 6 living in the house. My bill for hot water is around $45 for 3 months with 2 people in the house.
Forgot to say that the power company did the change over for nothing.

Last edited by Gibbo; Jul 7th 2014 at 10:25 am.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Air source heat pumps / Choosing a renewable technology / Generating energy / Home (England) - Energy Saving Trust England

Instant Hot Water Systems, Solar Hot Water Heater, Room Heaters - Stiebel Eltorn

We have a Steibel unit

It works in the opposite way to an air conditioner - takes heat from outside air (even relatively cold air) and is highly efficient

We had ours installed about 7 years ago and it is still going strong. One criticism of the model we have is that it is a bot noisy when operating. Not really a problem as it is on the opposite side of the house but something to be aware of

We got a subsidy off the feds when we installed it - not sure if that is still available
Thank you. Lots to think about and will check it out.

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I've had my hot water on of peak for years. ie heats from 11pm. I have a large tank and never ran out of hot water even when there was 6 living in the house. My bill for hot water is around $45 for 3 months with 2 people in the house.
Thank you.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:10 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get an off off peak tariff from your electricity supplier and then install a timer that only supplies the hot water tank overnight. A manual switch will let you put it on during the day when for you have visitors etc and need extra hot water.

Many suppliers won't offer an off peak tariff unless you ask for it, but it should be available and will save you money. Laundry can be done at night etc to save cash.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spuddyo
You need to get an off off peak tariff from your electricity supplier and then install a timer that only supplies the hot water tank overnight. A manual switch will let you put it on during the day when for you have visitors etc and need extra hot water.

Many suppliers won't offer an off peak tariff unless you ask for it, but it should be available and will save you money. Laundry can be done at night etc to save cash.
Cheers. Will be looking into all of this soon. I was hoping it would simple like that.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 6:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Cheers. Will be looking into all of this soon. I was hoping it would simple like that.
If you have the money, it might be worth investing in a more efficient boiler too

Plus i"m sure that there are some pretty smart controllers out there that can be controlled/monitored via smartphone etc