Hot Water

Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:00 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hot Water

Is this normal? Maybe just in Brisbane?
A few houses I have come to know (no gas, just electricity) have hot water tanks and you advise the electricity co (energex) if you want the tank heated during the night (cheaper) or during the day. If you run out of hot water, tough! Wait until the next heating period.
How bizarre that you do not control this yourself.
Am I missing something?
Seems strange to me.

Andrew
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Hot Water

Originally Posted by andrew63
A few houses I have come to know (no gas, just electricity) have hot water tanks and you advise the electricity co (energex) if you want the tank heated during the night (cheaper) or during the day. If you run out of hot water, tough! Wait until the next heating period.
Am I missing something?
Seems strange to me.

Andrew
yes it's normal. you are on night rate, most people are, it's cheaper. I don't know if you can get it heated for longer periods, ie day and night - you probably can, but your bill will sky rocket.

You can get different sized tanks.If you are running out of hot water, get (pay for this of course) a larger tank fitted is the obvious. We went (paid) for a larger tank when we built our home, as previous homes we were always running out of hot water and there is only two of us.

gas - a lot of homes do not have gas lines here in Brisbane, some of the new estates do, and they will advertise the fact when they release that land. Most people, myself included have bottle gas for the stove top if they want gas to cook on instead of electric stove top. Mains Gas is far and few between in Brisbane

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 15th 2004 at 2:56 am.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
yes it's normal. you are on night rate, most people are, it's cheaper. You can get different sized tanks.If you are running out of hot water, get (pay for this of course) a larger tank fitted.

gas - a lot of homes do not have gas lines here in Brisbane, some of new estates do, and they will advertise the fact when they release that land. Most people, myself included have bottle gas for the stove top if they want gas to cook on instead of electric stove top. Mains Gas is far and few between in Brisbane

cheers
On the gas thing Ceri - MIL has a gas bottle for cooking and hot water, and I don't know a lot about it but she keeps complaining that when it runs out she is without it for weeks. Apparently no-one except a registered gas fitter is allowed to connect the bottle - is this true or another Rural Qld Myth? Last time it happened the official gas fitter for the town was away for 3 weeks so she had no hot water for 3 weeks. I'd like to try and help but am not sure of the legal position - ie who else can fit the bottle.........
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
On the gas thing Ceri - MIL has a gas bottle for cooking and hot water, and I don't know a lot about it but she keeps complaining that when it runs out she is without it for weeks. Apparently no-one except a registered gas fitter is allowed to connect the bottle - is this true or another Rural Qld Myth? Last time it happened the official gas fitter for the town was away for 3 weeks so she had no hot water for 3 weeks. I'd like to try and help but am not sure of the legal position - ie who else can fit the bottle.........
I've only got bottle gas for the stove top , my oven is electric, my water is electric. We've been in our new home for just over a year now, and our bottle hasn't run out yet. we've two bottles outside our home , and haven't even started on the second yet. Picked the bottle up the other week, and it feels like it's coming to it's last gas now - one year later.

I don't know about that one, they sell gas bottles in the petrol stations , so probably not , I can't see why you can't connect /replace the bottle yourself . We have a company to deliver ours, the delivery bloke fitted the first one before we moved in, We still haven't run out yet , so I really don't know. And all previous homes I had electric stove tops.. never again, I went for gas in our new home. I can't cook on electric.. give us a flame anyday

P.S I don't know why she is out of gas for weeks.. you phone up a gas company _"origin' I think was the company we used, gas companies/sellers or what ever you call them will usually deliver within 24 hours of you phoning them up and asking for a delivery

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 15th 2004 at 3:12 am.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've only got bottle gas for the stove top , my oven is electric, my water is electric. We've been in our new home for just over a year now, and our bottle hasn't run out yet. we've two bottles outside our home , and haven't even started on the second yet. Picked the bottle up the other week, and it feels like it's coming to it's last gas now - one year later.

I don't know about that one, they sell gas bottles in the petrol stations , so probably not , I can't see why you can't connect /replace the bottle yourself . We have a company to deliver ours, the delivery bloke fitted the first one before we moved in, We still haven't run out yet , so I really don't know. And all previous homes I had electric stove tops.. never again, I went for gas in our new home. I can't cook on electric.. give us a flame anyday
Sounds like the sort of job anyone can do then - bit like Calor Gas bottles in the UK I suppose. Could be another case of Qlders terrified of touching anything - I couldn't believe that no-one in the town would be able to change a gas bottle, except this one bloke. I'll look into it a bit further I think.

She was out of gas for weeks cos the bottle was delivered but she says only this one bloke is licensed to fit it in the whole town (backwoods out Kingaroy way) so as he was away she had to live without gas........!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Sounds like the sort of job anyone can do then - bit like Calor Gas bottles in the UK I suppose. Could be another case of Qlders terrified of touching anything - I couldn't believe that no-one in the town would be able to change a gas bottle, except this one bloke. I'll look into it a bit further I think.
you can fit/change a gas bottle to the BBQ here , I don't see why you can't to the cooker etc.

Don't know, but if true - it's bl**dy odd ;D

cheers
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:48 am
Home and Happy

Don't know, but if true - it's bl**dy odd ;D
So's my MIL
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

So's my MIL
snap, but mine is thousands of miles away Thank gawd lol. She thinks when we finally go back, we'll be moving back to South Wales close to her. I haven't told her I am looking at some lovely places on the net in North Wales lol. trouble is ;she will find us hell or high water.

Old Nov 15th 2004, 4:01 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

snap, but mine is thousands of miles away Thank gawd lol. She thinks when we finally go back, we'll be moving back to South Wales close to her. I haven't told her I am looking at some lovely places on the net in North Wales lol. trouble is ;she will find us hell or high water.

Beter invest in some garlic cloves and small silver crosses, then

(I feel very privileged reading posts like this, cos I really like my MIL - she's a great gal. However, my former MIL was the Spawn Of Satan, so I know just how you feel...).

Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 4:03 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Failing a larger tank or more heating (at higher costs) you could always wait a month or so and then no matter what tap your turn on (hot OR cold) you'll get hot water!

Siren
Old Nov 15th 2004, 4:36 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Am I missing something?
Seems strange to me.

Andrew

Like Ceri says, its to do with your tariff. I worked for Ergon Energy (regional QLD power) for a while, its surprising how many people are on the wrong tariff/have the wrong size tank for their needs. The tariff you are on will be on your bill. Sometimes people are two types; one for hot water, one for everything else - other people opt for one type (constant) for everything.
http://www.energex.com.au/for_home/asp/tariffs.asp

One option if you're finding you're running out of hot water and a change in tariff seems to expensive is Solahart. http://www.solahart.com.au/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1
The govt give back a rebate. The system works on certificates and these can fluctuate in price (like shares) so it pays to shop around a bit and put some research in to it. http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/environmen...bility/energy/

http://www.energex.com.au/environmen...sidential.html
Having a look at this it seems more expensive than Ergon - as Ergon are (or were when I worked for them) actually able to service the Brisbane area, it may well pay to give them a call if you went this route also.

Cheers
Old Nov 15th 2004, 4:49 am
rudo1ph

You can get tanks with dual elements in so that you heat using the cheap tarrif overnight and then if you run out you can boost it with your normal tarrif during the day.

We had an Edwards solar water heater fitted in January and we rarely have to boost that with the off peak meter - we are a family of 5.

hope that helps

Rudi

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:03 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
You can get tanks with dual elements in so that you heat using the cheap tarrif overnight and then if you run out you can boost it with your normal tarrif during the day.

We had an Edwards solar water heater fitted in January and we rarely have to boost that with the off peak meter - we are a family of 5.

hope that helps

Rudi

Thanks for the help guys. No comments on the point that you can't control this youself! Still can't get over this. I am a big boy now and quite capable of deciding when I want hot water myself. I frequently go away for 4 days at a time and don't need my water heated those nights! Crazy.
Anyway, what capacity water tank is necessary for a family of 5 with no regards whatsover for hot water conservation? Can you get an second element fitted to a tank already in place?
Any more advice please?

Andrew
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:20 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help guys. No comments on the point that you can't control this youself! Still can't get over this. I am a big boy now and quite capable of deciding when I want hot water myself. I frequently go away for 4 days at a time and don't need my water heated those nights! Crazy.
Anyway, what capacity water tank is necessary for a family of 5 with no regards whatsover for hot water conservation? Can you get an second element fitted to a tank already in place?
Any more advice please?

Andrew
Use the manual switch in your switch / meter box?

If your meter box has two meters then you probably have access to night rates. An electrician worth their salt should be able to have the night timer switch switch the hot water heater element from the night rated circuit to the day rated circuit depending on the time of day.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:29 am
Home and Happy

Thanks for the help guys. No comments on the point that you can't control this youself! Still can't get over this. I am a big boy now and quite capable of deciding when I want hot water myself.
Welcome to The Nanny State of Queensland, Andrew......I'm surprised they allow us to have hot water at all, after all its a bit dangerous isn't it. That'll be the next thing....licence to boil a kettle......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.