Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Horses to Aus have you done it? do you ride in Aus please help

Horses to Aus have you done it? do you ride in Aus please help

Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:50 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Question Horses to Aus have you done it? do you ride in Aus please help

Has anyone taken their horse to southern Queensland?

we have some prices for him to emigrate too and in comparison to a cat or dog its good value (we have some room left in our 40ft container )

My horse is an ex eventer 14 years old I have owned him for 11 of those years. He ran well and recovered well even on our hottest days. I’m not intending to compete in Aus, we intend to ride for leisure. Can anyone answer my questions?

What are the flies like and which are the worst months? (Your winter seemed fine)

Is it hard to find a good farrier ( are they registered with qualifications)

Has anyone taken their horse and regretted it? If so why?

What beddings are available? I currently use shavings.

Did your horse or horses fair well on the journey and in quarantine?

Are there any vets out there that can advise me, is it in your opinion fare to take him or should I leave him? Do they usually acclimatise.

Thanks for your views

Mrs Roses
Old Apr 16th 2005, 9:39 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horses to Aus have you done it? do you ride in Aus please help

Originally Posted by Bed Of Roses
Has anyone taken their horse to southern Queensland?

we have some prices for him to emigrate too and in comparison to a cat or dog its good value (we have some room left in our 40ft container )

My horse is an ex eventer 14 years old I have owned him for 11 of those years. He ran well and recovered well even on our hottest days. I’m not intending to compete in Aus, we intend to ride for leisure. Can anyone answer my questions?

What are the flies like and which are the worst months? (Your winter seemed fine)

Is it hard to find a good farrier ( are they registered with qualifications)

Has anyone taken their horse and regretted it? If so why?

What beddings are available? I currently use shavings.

Did your horse or horses fair well on the journey and in quarantine?

Are there any vets out there that can advise me, is it in your opinion fare to take him or should I leave him? Do they usually acclimatise.

Thanks for your views

Mrs Roses
Cant help with the moving questions, but I can with some of the others.

Flies - when it comes to horses in SE Qld you get flies year round. But you are right, winter isnt as bad, worst is usually Oct/April. Are you worrying about him or you?

Bedding - yep, if you stable him, shavings are available, also straw. Stabling isnt as common over here unless you compete, most horses are kept yarded or just in a paddock. Rug in winter (& possibly a hood if they are the delicate type) will be sufficient to keep them warm.

Farriers - yes, like good vets good farriers are in high demand! But they usually do alot of travelling, so ask around & you'll find out the good ones. They are usually the ones who have been around for years, the farrier I used to use more than 20 years ago is still going strong . But dont be surprised if they are booked up in advance. Dont know about the qualifications.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 9:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Cant help with the moving questions, but I can with some of the others.

Flies - when it comes to horses in SE Qld you get flies year round. But you are right, winter isnt as bad, worst is usually Oct/April. Are you worrying about him or you?

Bedding - yep, if you stable him, shavings are available, also straw. Stabling isnt as common over here unless you compete, most horses are kept yarded or just in a paddock. Rug in winter (& possibly a hood if they are the delicate type) will be sufficient to keep them warm.

Farriers - yes, like good vets good farriers are in high demand! But they usually do alot of travelling, so ask around & you'll find out the good ones. They are usually the ones who have been around for years, the farrier I used to use more than 20 years ago is still going strong . But dont be surprised if they are booked up in advance. Dont know about the qualifications.
Grrrrrrrrrr that was ME answering, not Dagboy, he was logged in on my computer last night & hadnt logged out - he wouldnt know a farrier from a horses @rse .
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't really know anything () other than the horses over here wear kind of fly masks over theri faces, they cover their eyes and obviously stop the bloody things harrasing them too much Also a lot of them wear very light weight rugs in the summer presumably to protect against sun burn.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Also a lot of them wear very light weight rugs in the summer presumably to protect against sun burn.
Pretty close, its usually to stops the hair being bleached on the ends - important for people who show etc.

Not so important if your horse isn't competing .

Speaking of sunburn, I used to have a chestnut thoroughbred mare with a big white full face blaze down her face - she used to suffer sunburn very badly in summer & I had to use zinc cream & a hood on her every day. :scared:

Flyveils work to a certain degree, some horses find them more annoying than the flies .
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Pretty close, its usually to stops the hair being bleached on the ends - important for people who show etc.

Speaking of sunburn, I used to have a chestnut thoroughbred mare with a big white full face blaze down her face - she used to suffer sunburn very badly in summer & I had to use zinc cream & a hood on her every day. :scared:

Flyveils work to a certain degree, some horses find them more annoying than the flies .
I said i knew nothing, thanks for helping me out once again mrs DB.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:42 pm

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hevs
Don't really know anything () other than the horses over here wear kind of fly masks over theri faces, they cover their eyes and obviously stop the bloody things harrasing them too much Also a lot of them wear very light weight rugs in the summer presumably to protect against sun burn.
thank you for your reply, Wellie (horse) has a fly mask/hood and a fly rug for when the horse flies are bad here. he keeps them on and is happy to stay out for longer when wearing them. like most horses his number priority is grass, if its good and plentiful he stays out all day. we are hoping he may adjust to staying out at night in Aus but its not essential.

so far it sounds ok we have only visited horses in aus in your winter.

It looks like we will be on our way this year as we have passed our medicals, we are just waiting for the visas.

I will bring Wellie if i feel he will adapt.

thanks again,

Fiona (Nigels other half)
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:51 pm

Smile Re: Horses to Aus have you done it? do you ride in Aus please help

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

thank you for your reply.

Do you know the brisbane area well?
we are thinking of looking for a property on Sunshine coast. our second thoughts are jimboomba/beaudessert area. any feedback is welcome.

thanks

mrs roses