Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Horse Transportation

Wikiposts

Horse Transportation

Old Oct 20th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Horse Transportation

Anyone got any info on bring horse from UK to OZ ie how difficult it is and most importantly how Much I know it will be expensive if the cost of bringing the dog is anything to go bye!

Helpful replies only please as 14 yrd old gonna really miss him and yes we know OZ if full of horses.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Horse Transportation

not sure, but im sure MR ED will nooooooooo

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Good luck

Last edited by SKIPPI79; Oct 20th 2007 at 6:24 am.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

turkey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
not sure, but im sure MR ED will nooooooooo

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Good luck
Hi you are brave. I have 2, actually some one is coming to see him next sat to buy him. I have had him 2yrs and will be very sad to let him go. When i put my other horse up for sale next year i will be devastated had her 5years. I just couldn't put her through the travelling plus the expense, finding a yard to keep her, when we don't even know where we will settle. I will only go when i have found her a really good home. Good on you for trying, hope it works out for you.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Anyone got any info on bring horse from UK to OZ ie how difficult it is and most importantly how Much I know it will be expensive if the cost of bringing the dog is anything to go bye!

Helpful replies only please as 14 yrd old gonna really miss him and yes we know OZ if full of horses.
The horse industry in Australia has just experienced a major outbreak of Equine Influenza, all transporting of Horses, Mules, Zebras and donkeys has been banned for the moment, also with the recent outbreak of foot and mouth in the UK I don't think you are going to find it all that easy to do.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee
The horse industry in Australia has just experienced a major outbreak of Equine Influenza, all transporting of Horses, Mules, Zebras and donkeys has been banned for the moment, also with the recent outbreak of foot and mouth in the UK I don't think you are going to find it all that easy to do.
You can move horses if you have a permit for it from the DPI, however basically there is little chance of that happening. They are quite busy at the moment hehe and it costs heaps anyway because of vet checks involved.

But as to the original question and cost. Think in the region of 8k GBP or so once you've paid for everything. Then you've got to find agistment for the horse somewhere.

Personally, as my wife did, it comes to the point that for that sort of money you can buy a very very nice eventing horse here in Australia....

Oh and dont forget that you need to get your horse around, so theres the obvious costs involved of horse floats, 4x4 to tow it and so on. We dont tend to have horse boxes for rent or anything like that here. Most people are very self sufficient when it comes to horse ownership.

Owning a horse in Australia can be very different to the UK. i would suggest cutting your teeth here for a bit before thinking about importing a horse. My wifes glad she did and she's an EFA judge, instructor and so on/ Basically had to relearn a lot of things when we arrived.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Hi

i decided to leave my horse behind - broke my heart but she went to a great home. It is very expenive to keep horses here at present due to the drought - hay is around $30 a bale which is a huge expense. I have the best of both worlds (before flu) i made contact with various horsey people and have a 4 yr old to bring on whom the owner doesn't have time for. Perfect for now - no expeneses
As for the flu here, they are looking at as long as 6 months before we can get out and about again. Keep upto date on www.efanational.com.au
Tracy
Old Oct 20th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

The main element that I would be concerned with (other than the restrictions on equine flu) if I were taking a horse would be the flight - how well does your fella travel?

The bloods etc before travelling aren't too bad, there are plenty of vets who can do export certs (if you're around Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire/Herefordshire pm me and I'll give you the name of a fantastic practice who can do the whole lot). They may be able to give you some advice on the actual travelling element as well - they work with a lot of horses who travel internationally on a regular basis.

I do understand that you can't just replace a horse, they're as much a part of the family as any other animal. Hopefully your timeframe will allow for the Equine flu outbreak to have gone by the time you're looking to move him.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

My friend arranges this - http://www.surreysprings.net.au/ If they can't help you they will beable to recommend someone who can alot cheaper with IRT.

Though be aware there is no importation at the moment due to F and M as well as the Horse Flu in AU... the backlog of horses is HUGE too.