Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Horse transportation

Horse transportation

Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:42 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Horse transportation

Originally Posted by Fuggle
Thanks for this, I have applied for quotes through various companies and got one from 1st equine( firstequine@ btinternet.com) for £4500 for my 5yr old 15hh welsh cob mare which seemed reasonable considering the distance, Flight, quarantine and vet certification, personal groom Etc. that is involved.
The idea I have in my head is to Loan her out for the first year then ship her over once we are settled and get to know the area.
I hate to sound obnoxious but I dont have the foggiest idea what to expect with regards to the type of equine facilities in Australia specially as its such a huge place - being a horsey person yourself would you know if there are any problems obtaining Farriers / Vets on call / feedstuffs / yards to stable / riding establishments and the like? Most people with horses would have their own land for this I would assume?, But I am being transferred with my company so may be city based at times and any info would be much appreciated. Also tell me if I am being amazingly unrealistic! although the fella would love to say bye bye to my horse I want to try and keep my head screwed on about this and make the right decision.

Don't know if this will help at all, I am in Perth and there are lots of stables around, they all seem to advertise "full agistment"?? which I asume to be stable fees from about $15 a day.
There is also plenty of horsey vets around and other than snakes and getting bitten I guess everything else is similar to the UK, oh and bott flies!
I find AU a very horsey nation and assume the other states are all very similar.
Hope it helps Jenny
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horse transportation

Originally Posted by georgiagal
I know this is a couple of years on, but what decision did you make about relocating your girl? We are in the initial stages of Oz visa and of course my animals are the most important items to consider. I have a big dutch w/blood dressage horse and he's going! I could never afford another horse as nice and talented as him, besides which he has grown on me significantly! Just curious as to see whether you made the jump or decided to leave her where she is. My quote moving from USA to sydney was US$9995 which I thought was really good considering it included all paperwork & such. So far, from what i've read, moving any animal from the UK is expensive compared to USA.

Try www.flyirt.com
Tel 01638 508080 (Speak to Paula)
This is an international company.
I am just in the process of returning to the UK and bringing my 'Boy' back with me.
He is actually on his journey to Melbourne right now.
I just couldnt face the thought of leaving him behind, especially as i had had to sell before I came out here.

If you go onto Moving back to the UK, I have posted ' Taking back the larger 4 legged friend'.

If you need any advice, youll catch me on here.

Whisky