Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The horrid interview question from hell

The horrid interview question from hell

Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default The horrid interview question from hell

You know the one:

What are your weaknesses?

"I don't have any" doesn't sit too well, does it.

or

"blonde babes with big hoochy mummas are my weakness". This doesn't seem to work either aye.

I recently tried:

"My inability to answer this question". The HR girl laughed alot - she then moved on to another question, which was sweet as.

Mind you I'm being offered the jobs I go for, just not finding the perfect "fit" for me.

What do you guys use? - any tips on an answer that isn't lose, lose?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The horrid interview question from hell

I usually say that I am really crap at delegating, which is true - I'd rather do it myself then I know it's done and done right.

Usually works OK
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
I usually say that I am really crap at delegating, which is true - I'd rather do it myself then I know it's done and done right.

Usually works OK
I guess that's OK if you're not going for a management role.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
I guess that's OK if you're not going for a management role.

Mmm, I managed to pull an Assistant Managers job with it, but I was expected to be a 'hands on' Manager so that's probably why. Also it was as part of a team of 5 Managers so was also expected to provide cover for them as well.

My lack of delegating skills also got me another Assistant Managers job, as I would take over from the Manager and he promoted me (probably so I'd do all the work )
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Mmm, I managed to pull an Assistant Managers job with it, but I was expected to be a 'hands on' Manager so that's probably why. Also it was as part of a team of 5 Managers so was also expected to provide cover for them as well.

My lack of delegating skills also got me another Assistant Managers job, as I would take over from the Manager and he promoted me (probably so I'd do all the work )
I guess that answer does have an element of "win" to it.

I.e they like work a holics putting in the hard yards instead of just passing off all the work.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:58 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I once put "Kryptonite" on a job questionnaire funny they didn't call me for an interview

Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

"Lack of professional experience" is good or any other honest answer as long as you also articulate how you would compensate for the weakness. Employers like to hear that.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcpiano
"Lack of professional experience" is good or any other honest answer as long as you also articulate how you would compensate for the weakness. Employers like to hear that.
I've used that one in that past too, where my inexperience was obvious on my resume anyway. Then I go on to emphasise the experience that I do have, and reiterate the skills I have that would make me good for the role.

I suppose another 'positive' answer would be to say that you're a perfectionist, or that you have very high standards - then say that fortunately you also have the skills to identify priorities so you can judge when it is better to do a good job on time than extend a deadline to achieve excellence.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You know the one:

What are your weaknesses?

"I don't have any" doesn't sit too well, does it.

or

"blonde babes with big hoochy mummas are my weakness". This doesn't seem to work either aye.

I recently tried:

"My inability to answer this question". The HR girl laughed alot - she then moved on to another question, which was sweet as.

Mind you I'm being offered the jobs I go for, just not finding the perfect "fit" for me.

It's done a bit different in WA. The opening line when I interview someone is usually 'when can you start?'.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:25 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if you can read an address and find the office than you are already above the average WA worker when it comes to IQ

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's done a bit different in WA. The opening line when I interview someone is usually 'when can you start?'.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Yes if you can read an address and find the office than you are already above the average WA worker when it comes to IQ
And be on at least $100k a year.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

And be on at least $100k a year.
I can turn up to an interview, can I have $100k?!

(And I only spend a proportion of my working day on BE, apart from that I'm a very hard worker, honest)
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by esperanza
I can turn up to an interview, can I have $100k?!

(And I only spend a proportion of my working day on BE, apart from that I'm a very hard worker, honest)
If you can design mine process control systems and can use CAD, the job's yours.
BE does get in the way of work doesn't it?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the "delegation" answer (as I am crap at it) but it really can be seen as a weakness so use with care.

I've also used, "I don't like to say no to users/clients/whoever and can tend to end up overworked because of it".
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

If you can design mine process control systems and can use CAD, the job's yours.
BE does get in the way of work doesn't it?
For $100k I'd give it a bash!! I did a bit on CAD for my DT GCSE, I know what it stands for and everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.