Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hooray I have permission for my child to emigrate !

Hooray I have permission for my child to emigrate !

Old Dec 1st 2002, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Hooray I have permission for my child to emigrate !

I posted couple of weeks ago about my predicament - waiting to see if my son's father would give permission for him to emigrate.

Hip HIp Horray!! he has agreed and will sign a affadavit so that we can send it off with our visa application. Because of the worldwide abduction agreements, if one of a child's parents isn't emigrating you have to send an affadavit or permission from a court with your application.

This is such a relief as it would have ment a long expensive court battle if he would not give permission. We did not expect him to as he has always been difficult in the past.
We had had to offer a few 'perks' like flights for our child to travel home etc, but it is well worth it.

Getting the Visa should be a breeze compared to what we have all gone through the last few months any way HALLILULAH !! ( excuse me if I celebrate!)

Tina

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Dec 1st 2002, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hooray I have permission for my child to emigrate !

Originally posted by tinaj
I posted couple of weeks ago about my predicament - waiting to see if my son's father would give permission for him to emigrate.

Hip HIp Horray!! he has agreed and will sign a affadavit so that we can send it off with our visa application. Because of the worldwide abduction agreements, if one of a child's parents isn't emigrating you have to send an affadavit or permission from a court with your application.

This is such a relief as it would have ment a long expensive court battle if he would not give permission. We did not expect him to as he has always been difficult in the past.
We had had to offer a few 'perks' like flights for our child to travel home etc, but it is well worth it.

Getting the Visa should be a breeze compared to what we have all gone through the last few months any way HALLILULAH !! ( excuse me if I celebrate!)

Tina

Hi there Tina

That is fantastic news for you all. I am sure you are thrilled. Hope things don't take too long now.

Celebrate on!

Ginny
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hooray I have permission for my child to emigrate !

Originally posted by tinaj

Tina

I am sure glad about your news, I guess the perks help ??? "oh well what ever it takes" lets hear how you are doing when you get there
Old Dec 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Talking

Hey like the dancing Dudes,

Realy good news about your sons permmision its real hell when you have to rely on anything from somebody else especialy somthing as important to yourself as emmigrating.

I have a sixteen year old daughter who I have raised as mine since she was four and I hope that her farther gives permmision.

On a lighter note, this is the wifes account and I havn't bothered with looking at it until now, but its great, I love it, can you stop me please this has got to be about the fifth reply tonight.

P.S

My spelling needs some work.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Have you spoken to your daughters Father?
I thought my ex would pose serious objections, but I think he realises it is better to keep on the right side of me when we will be 10 000 miles away! If we won permission from the court there is no international access court order so we would really call the shots regarding access.
We have had to bribe him with free flights etc, but it will be worth it, after all the court case would have cost in excess of £4000!

If your daughter's Father won't sign an Affadavit saying she can emigrate you will be in for a court battle I am afraid.
Unfortunately you have to send proof of permission with your apllication, even if she has never seen her Father.

It is a difficult one, but set out to prevent abductions I suppose.

Best of luck, I can tell you more info if you require.

Tina
Old Dec 31st 2002, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Permission

Hi, this is Mrs Scrawni now. The real dilemma is that she has no contact with her father although we live in the same town. She has no interest in seeing him or making contact with him and although I know that we will have to contact him it will be like opening a can of worms!

Another problems is I cannot find my Decree Absalute. Does anyone know how to go about getting a copy?
Old Dec 31st 2002, 10:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scrawni
Hey like the dancing Dudes,

Realy good news about your sons permmision its real hell when you have to rely on anything from somebody else especialy somthing as important to yourself as emmigrating.

I have a sixteen year old daughter who I have raised as mine since she was four and I hope that her farther gives permmision.[QUOTE]

I too have a 16 yr old who I've raised as my own since she was 6 months old. She's never met her natural [I hate that expression] father. She is aware of his existance and has been since she could talk. We explored my adopting her years ago but it was expensive and my wife had to adopt her own daughter as well, this all seemed trivial and costly back then so we just changed her name[mothers surname] to mine by what was/is known as "common usage" at the same time as her mother and I were married. We have no legal documentation but she has held her own passport for 8 yrs in my name and has a bank account etc.
Our agent just sent a letter explaining all this with our application.
If the process takes another 12 months she'll be very close to 18 by then anyway and hopefully will still want to come with us. We keep telling her that she's in demand as she's training to be a hairdresser but her ambition is to work the cruise ships.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Permission

Found my Decree Absolute!!!! Just had a good rummage and found it in my husbands box of letters - he kept telling me that they couldn't possibly be amongst his things!!!!

After just reading the last post, I a hoping that we may not have to contact him as she too will be nearly 18 by the time we go. It makes me really cross when he has had no input, emotionally or financially, his choice, and her future may depend on his approval.

Mrs Scrawni
Old Dec 31st 2002, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is ridiculous really, a father can have absolutely no contact with his child- not even acknowledge that they exist and then you have to track them down to get their permission!

It must be difficult if you do not talk to the ex-Father at all, you might want to use a friend or solicitor in this case.

I have spent 6 months worrying after we had made our minds up about emigrating. I was really scared of telling his Father about our plans. He has always objected to every little change in the past regarding access and we have spent a lot of time and money in Court and mediation trying to sort things out.

You can't imagine how happy we were ( I am now married with 2 other children) when he finally decided to give permission. He is supposed to be signing the Affadavit this week -I will let you know when it happens.

It is awful to think that 1 person can stop your whole family from being happy. Look on the positive side, as your children are nearly 18 you won't need to send permission then.Check out whether you would need to wait until they were 18 when you apply, or if it is 18 by the time they issue the visa.
What baffles me is that court orders are only valid up to age 16 over here and yet they insist on the child being 18 for Visa purposes.

Happy New Year tonight and I hope it all works out.

Tina