Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hooray - first home buyers grant to end (probably)!

Hooray - first home buyers grant to end (probably)!

Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hooray - first home buyers grant to end (probably)!

Originally Posted by IvanM
You would not want the reasons my family got the bonus so go stick your petty jealousy up where the sun does not shine.

Ah the mature attitude of totally pointless insults huh? Maybe I wouldnt want the reasons why your family got a bonus. I actually couldnt care less why you got it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 27th 2009 at 3:48 am. Reason: fixing quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:12 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep ROFL at your own joke but you might want to read this when you stop.
http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/cont....htm&page=1&H1

Tax bonus

Overview
If your 2007-08 taxable income was $100,000 or less and you paid tax, you could be eligible to receive a tax bonus payment of up to $900.
Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Ah the mature attitude of totally pointless insults huh? Maybe I wouldnt want the reasons why your family got a bonus. I actually couldnt care less why you got it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 27th 2009 at 3:48 am. Reason: fixing quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by isgraham
No I will be buying another property in London when I feel the time is right.

The housing market in Sydney is just plain silly.
I wouldn't say it is silly that the median prices in Sydney haven't really changed in the last 5 years.

However, when you compare the median prices between Sydney and London........

Greater London
Detached Houses £757,622 ( ie: A$1,553,125) Source

Look at Bromley at: £527,135 (A$1,080,627)

Sydney at about a median of $550,000, for houses, is much much cheaper...

Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:57 am

Comparing Bromley to the whole of Sydney is not comparing Apples with Apples. Maybe try Bromley to Hornsby and I am being very kind to Hornsby.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I wouldn't say it is silly that the median prices in Sydney haven't really changed in the last 5 years.

However, when you compare the median prices between Sydney and London........

Greater London
Detached Houses £757,622 ( ie: A$1,553,125) Source

Look at Bromley at: £527,135 (A$1,080,627)

Sydney at about a median of $550,000, for houses, is much much cheaper...
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

lornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to alllornakool is a name known to all

I really hope there are no more cash hanouts.

I have benefited from that cash but I know I will have to pay them back with interest added when the longer term budget reality hits..
Originally Posted by scotdownunder
That's easy for you to say when you have already benefitted! What about those of us who have been here for years, pay our tax at the same rate as everyone else and are on a modest income (under 100k between us) but have not recieved a single cent because we have just not quite fitted the criteria? We will be here paying the debts back like everyone else but haven't gained a cent out of it! :curse:
Maybe the government shoud look at trying to give something to those of us who still haven't received anything because we haven't got kids/didn't have PR to qualify or whatever.

if you earn under 1ook surely you are entitled to this stimulas that is being paid out at the moment

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 27th 2009 at 3:49 am. Reason: fixing quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing Bromley to the whole of Sydney is not comparing Apples with Apples. Maybe try Bromley to Hornsby and I am being very kind to Hornsby.
An in addition comparing only detached homes is misleading. We all know that the density of properties is far higher in London and detached homes are much rarer - however for the people living in a terraced house in many parts of London I'm sure they are not less desirable than a fibro home somewhere in Sydney.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:13 am
ABCDiamond

I shouldnt have added Bromley in, to avoid confusion, I should have just left it at:

Detached Houses (Median Prices)
Greater London £757,622 ( ie: A$1,553,125)
Sydney at about a median of $550,000, for houses.

However, Horsnby houses have a median of $542,000

I also noticed that the Greater London prices are differentiated as follows:

Detached: £757,622 (A$1,553,125) 2.8 x times Sydney House prices
Semi-detached: £384,470 (A$788,164) 1.4 x Sydney house prices
Terraced: £346,704 (A$710,743) 1.3 x Sydney house prices

and

Flat: £295,144 (A$605,045) 1.5 x Sydney Flat/Unit prices

Sydney Unit prices are around $400,000.

Comparing Greater London to Sydney does make London about 50% higher than Sydney.

However, where does Greater London end, compared to Sydney ?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
however for the people living in a terraced house in many parts of London I'm sure they are not less desirable than a fibro home somewhere in Sydney.
Are there that many fibro homes left in Sydney ?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well this article from 2004 talks about 'Sydney’s huge western suburbs fibro belt' - 'built in the period between the war and the mid-1960s, when one in every four new houses in Australia was made of asbestos cement'. Whether or not they have all been renovated away since 2004, I don't know.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I shouldnt have added Bromley in, to avoid confusion, I should have just left it at:

Detached Houses (Median Prices)
Greater London £757,622 ( ie: A$1,553,125)
Sydney at about a median of $550,000, for houses.

However, Horsnby houses have a median of $542,000

I also noticed that the Greater London prices are differentiated as follows:

Detached: £757,622 (A$1,553,125) 2.8 x times Sydney House prices
Semi-detached: £384,470 (A$788,164) 1.4 x Sydney house prices
Terraced: £346,704 (A$710,743) 1.3 x Sydney house prices

and

Flat: £295,144 (A$605,045) 1.5 x Sydney Flat/Unit prices

Sydney Unit prices are around $400,000.

Comparing Greater London to Sydney does make London about 50% higher than Sydney.

However, where does Greater London end, compared to Sydney ?

Forget about the initial purchase price of the house you should think more about the total cost of buying which includes interest repayments over the term of the mortgage. You also don't talk about average incomes in London compared to Sydney which would make a difference to affordability in which London average salaries are significantly higher than Sydney.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well this article from 2004 talks about 'Sydney’s huge western suburbs fibro belt' - 'built in the period between the war and the mid-1960s, when one in every four new houses in Australia was made of asbestos cement'. Whether or not they have all been renovated away since 2004, I don't know.
A lot of those will have been demolished and replaced with Mc Mansions during the last decade or so.

Mt Druitt, near Blacktown, was one such suburb, and they were clearing them in 2001/02 just as I left Sydney.

Another article reads: Sydney's western suburbs ... Many of its homes - mostly double-storey brick houses - were built in the last few years

There has been a LOT of new houses built in the last 20+ years in the Sydney Western Suburbs.

Your average house in the area now looks like:
this for $320,000

or
this for $550,000

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:53 am
ABCDiamond

Forget about the initial purchase price of the house you should think more about the total cost of buying which includes interest repayments over the term of the mortgage. You also don't talk about average incomes in London compared to Sydney which would make a difference to affordability in which London average salaries are significantly higher than Sydney.
Averages wages is a different matter entirely, as this can depend a lot on where the people live, as that is how average wages are worked out.

The best I have done so far was the following comparison:
May 2008 Average Weekly Earning Comparisons

Australia = $1,183.10 pw (+9% Super = $1,289) at May 2008
UK = £479 pw at April 2008
Australia is only about 20% higher than the UK at a 2.05 FX rate.

at an FX rate of 2.5, the countries were about the same.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:39 am

There are in Hornsby. Cottage is the industries euphamism.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Averages wages is a different matter entirely, as this can depend a lot on where the people live, as that is how average wages are worked out.

The best I have done so far was the following comparison:
May 2008 Average Weekly Earning Comparisons

Australia = $1,183.10 pw (+9% Super = $1,289) at May 2008
UK = £479 pw at April 2008
Australia is only about 20% higher than the UK at a 2.05 FX rate.

at an FX rate of 2.5, the countries were about the same.
Average wages are integral to the affordability of an average house.
Your comparisons are UK/Australia not London/Sydney by the way.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

Average wages are integral to the affordability of an average house.
Your comparisons are UK/Australia not London/Sydney by the way.
I know, which is why I said what I said...

Finding average wages for specific areas is very difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.