Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Hoons' in Perth, is it a big problem.

'Hoons' in Perth, is it a big problem.

Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Default 'Hoons' in Perth, is it a big problem.

As we are hoping to move to Perth in July with our three kids, we are reading the various newspapers to get an idea of Perth as a city. One thing we have noticed is the serious reports about ‘HOONS’ driving recklessly at all hours of the night. Is this a serious problem in Perth or is it the Media hyping up a story about something that is very confined. Is it something we should be concerned about?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:59 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Hoons' in Perth, is it a big problem.

It happens. I don't think it happens MORE here than anywhere else however Perth Police are very serious about cracking down on it, maing it more newsworthy than normal.

New "hoon" laws have come into effect recently that were debabted for ages due to thier strictness. (Three strikes you're out, law. Third hoon offense, they take your car....and sell it. You never get it back.)

That's probably why it seems really prevalent.

Siren
Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it... they are a pain in the butt here. Last night I was woken several times by them screaching up and down the road. I don't think they are unique to Perth either; more a feature of Aus suburbia.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 1:05 am
owieb

There was an article in the paper this weekend about it, where they named the worse suburbs and streets.

Old Jan 25th 2005, 1:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Tell me about it... they are a pain in the butt here. Last night I was woken several times by them screaching up and down the road. I don't think they are unique to Perth either; more a feature of Aus suburbia.
You just have to look at all the squiggly black tyre marks from burnouts, they're everywhere.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I live close to the ennogra road in Newmarket Brisbane and you can gaurentee most nights you get kids screeching away from the lights or racing down the straight. I think the police are catching onto the spot as sometimes you hear it followed by a police siren.

I have noticed it everywhere, Mooloolabar is like the Westen Super Mare of the UK its full of boy racers in the evening.....except here, some of them are in the 30's! I remember one new years up there where this guy was in his suped up V8 with tinted windows, music pumping.....he had to be 45-50! I just laughed my head off!

Originally Posted by renth
You just have to look at all the squiggly black tyre marks from burnouts, they're everywhere.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Campbell Parade in Bondi used to be notorious for hooning until they whacked in a roundabout and some other calming measures. They now go to the rocks, Kings X and Brighton Beach. The police are also being given new powers to confiscate cars and more reasons to defect them.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:06 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Campbell Parade in Bondi used to be notorious for hooning until they whacked in a roundabout and some other calming measures. They now go to the rocks, Kings X and Brighton Beach. The police are also being given new powers to confiscate cars and more reasons to defect them.
I am curious, where does the word HOON come from? Hooligan maybe?

Andrew
Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:15 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Its a world wide problem!

My hubby moved into new offices on Friday on a new industrial/offices estate. It connected to roads either end by a long straight road, no bumps or other restrictive speed things. On his first day he spotted the speed freaks out (in their souped up vauxhall corsas!) and by yesterday morning all the the office windows had been smashed. This is in Shrewsbury, small inconsequential town! Its a plague!

Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: 'Hoons' in Perth, is it a big problem.

Thanks very much for your replys. I can't help wondering if this is what I really want for my children.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chef
I certainly wouldn't let it put you off coming to Perth, there is so much else Perth has to offer to families. I find the hoon problem annoying as our bedroom (with single glazing) is just back from the road. The kids sleep at the back of the house and don't notice a thing. Otherwise the roads are pretty safe.
ATB
Larissa
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

My brother found the hooners a real pain when he first moved to Perth with his wife and kids in August 2003, because he had to rent when he first got there in the city suburbs. Now he lives in Swan Valley and is loving every minute!!

Its the availability of V8 ass kicking cars out there, long straight roads and cheap petrol that creates these geeks. My opinion only.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:45 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chef69
As we are hoping to move to Perth in July with our three kids, we are reading the various newspapers to get an idea of Perth as a city. One thing we have noticed is the serious reports about ‘HOONS’ driving recklessly at all hours of the night. Is this a serious problem in Perth or is it the Media hyping up a story about something that is very confined. Is it something we should be concerned about?
I should have kept last Sundays paper it gave you the top ten hoon hot spots

From memory, Armadale was top, Gosnells, Forrestfield and seven others....

When I worked in Kenwick I couldn't sleep for the little bastards doing burn outs
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Most places you go to have those rubber zigzags all along the road.

It would be an interesting psycological study, hoons. Although obviously not all P platers drive badly, there is a very disturbing attitude amongst a substantial number of htem on the roads. Four times out of five, when you are cut up or see someone race through the red lights, there is a P plate on the car.

It's almost as if there is a compulsion to behave like a total prat as soon as you are allowed to drive. The fact that your immaturity and poor driving ability is thus demonstrated seems to be revelled in. I've seen bad driving, inconsiderate driving and sheer bloody minded driving everywhere in the world but never the glorification of it as I do here.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is a very sad state of affairs when the Minister for Defence of the United Kingdom Government allows his children to drive recklessly around the streets of a foreign country.

To have the family name splashed all over websites like this can only further damage the UK Governments image around the globe.

Now leave it you HOONS.

Originally Posted by Chef69

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.