Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hoon update? please Renth!

Hoon update? please Renth!

Old May 4th 2005, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road
Default Hoon update? please Renth!

It was grim reading recently about the "hoon" activity in Perth. It seemed apparant for me that even those who have posted for ages and love Oz really hit a low with these events. I guess for me Renth really gave a vivid account of how it affected him. Just wondered if there was any more to say on this subject? Is it getting better, worse? is it part and parcel of life in Perth?
If you have time Renth and of course anybody out there, it'd be interesting to hear your experiences.
Old May 4th 2005, 8:12 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hoon update? please Renth!

Originally Posted by Garland
It was grim reading recently about the "hoon" activity in Perth. It seemed apparant for me that even those who have posted for ages and love Oz really hit a low with these events. I guess for me Renth really gave a vivid account of how it affected him. Just wondered if there was any more to say on this subject? Is it getting better, worse? is it part and parcel of life in Perth?
If you have time Renth and of course anybody out there, it'd be interesting to hear your experiences.
Law gradually closing in on hoons. S.Aus (?): three offenses and vehicle is confiscated. Probably means hoons will migrate to rust buckets and wrecks. Not sure if license is lost.
Old May 4th 2005, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to heard about that.

Sounds a bit like the Macquarie fields episode we had in Sydney.
Old May 4th 2005, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm just read the thread you are talking about:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288336

Yeah I would agree that Australia isnt far behind the U.K. as regards to young adults/teens and the relaxed approach of the Australian Police Force doesnt help.

Its a bit like NSW which is delaying a law which limits high powered cars for P platers which should solve some of the hoon problems here.
Old May 4th 2005, 8:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by suzysu
Hmmm just read the thread you are talking about:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288336

Yeah I would agree that Australia isnt far behind the U.K. as regards to young adults/teens and the relaxed approach of the Australian Police Force doesnt help.

Its a bit like NSW which is delaying a law which limits high powered cars for P platers which should solve some of the hoon problems here.
Said link was about a binge party. Hoons are dangerous drivers. There is no Australian Police Force. There is an Australian Federal Police force and State Police forces.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's been quiet lately, fortunately.

I was speaking to a real estate guy who says it's really common to get Hoon behaviour in the coastal suburbs, particularly near the beach as the trouble makers have to pass through the neighbourhood to get to the beach parties or the burnout spots. It "goes with the territory" of living somewhere like Ocean Reef, Mullaloo or Two Rocks.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:23 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Said link was about a binge party. Hoons are dangerous drivers. There is no Australian Police Force. There is an Australian Federal Police force and State Police forces.

Yes hoons are dangerous drivers, however, I have see some dangerous driving from middle class and upper class people too, people that should know better. And it dosen't matter where you live Australia, UK or America it happens every where.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:39 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Renth,
is there not something all the neighbours TOGETHER could organise?
a watch scheme or the like, video the louts and hand the footage to the police to identify the offenders.
The one who assulted your neighbour would be looking at a prison term surely?.
Old May 5th 2005, 1:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulf
Hello Renth,
a watch scheme or the like, video the louts and hand the footage to the police to identify the offenders.
Let's face it, they'll never be caught.

I've learned to be wary of the "danger signs" though - public holidays and hot weather, when they combine are the times to be careful.
Old May 5th 2005, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paulf
Hello Renth,

I would love to get hold of the 'stinger' devices the police use. Pop out of bush, whack out the stinger - hoon car tyres punctured - no one hurt, off I go back into the dark - Result.

Kinda like a modern day superhero who goes around burting the tyres of hoons :-)