British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Honking breath (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/honking-breath-720883/)

bingobob777 Jun 14th 2011 11:30 am

Honking breath

Is it just my office or do an unusually high percentage of Australian residents have hallitosis problems?

It's not just Aussies, it's Brits, Filipinos, Indians, I could name 8-9 people out of 50 who regularly have absolutely stinking breath. It's got to the stage where I'm worried it's me, but either the missus is a good liar or I'm alright.

The mix of BO and breath is putting me to the test :thumbdown:

eddie007 Jun 14th 2011 11:35 am

Re: Honking breath

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 9431705)
Is it just my office or do an unusually high percentage of Australian residents have hallitosis problems?

It's not just Aussies, it's Brits, Filipinos, Indians, I could name 8-9 people out of 50 who regularly have absolutely stinking breath. It's got to the stage where I'm worried it's me, but either the missus is a good liar or I'm alright.

You're not pregnant are you? Its just the sense of smell is often heightened during pregnancy...

And if you are I WANT TO SELL YOUR STORY TO THE TABLOIDS...

Grayling Jun 14th 2011 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 9431705)

I had thought about writing about this as well.

I have never met so many people with Hallitosis as I have in Australia.

I suspect it is due to the expense and poor quality of dentistry

Deancm_MKII Jun 14th 2011 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 9433081)
I had thought about writing about this as well.

I have never met so many people with Hallitosis as I have in Australia.

I suspect it is due to the expense and poor quality of dentistry

At least people go to the dentist in Australia. The UK population has the worst teeth I have ever seen. No wonder the Americans take the piss out of them for it all the time.

I suspect halitosis is much more comlex than just dental care as breath is exhaled from the lungs and merely passes through the mouth/nose. I also suspect halitosis can be caused by diet. My theory anyway.

Grayling Jun 14th 2011 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII (Post 9433137)
At least people go to the dentist in Australia.

Really?

I am sure many of the one toothed bogans I see around here don't trouble the dentist too often

AlliF Jun 15th 2011 12:07 am

Really Dean? Another one of those stupid persisting but false stereotypes i think. And your media agrees that Australia has the worst teeth in the world...:rofl:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...337390806.html

Deancm_MKII Jun 15th 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 9433183)
Really Dean? Another one of those stupid persisting but false stereotypes i think. And your media agrees that Australia has the worst teeth in the world...:rofl:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...337390806.html

The UK has improved in recent years.

AlliF Jun 15th 2011 12:38 am

The Dentists over here, in my experience, are rip-off merchants. :frown: You go in and ask for a check-up and clean and the dentist takes a quick gander in your gob and 5 seconds scraping later presents you with a hefty bill. :sneaky:

At least in the uk they have proper dental hygienists at the actual practice that do a proper thorough clean - we always visited the hygienist as a matter of course. Haven't been able to find the equivalent over here.:thumbdown:
As for UK teeth being awful - so far personally haven't had to have any teeth extracted or fillings done in 40 years of regular visits.:fingerscrossed:

HelenTD Jun 15th 2011 1:09 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 9433237)
The Dentists over here, in my experience, are rip-off merchants. :frown: You go in and ask for a check-up and clean and the dentist takes a quick gander in your gob and 5 seconds scraping later presents you with a hefty bill. :sneaky:

At least in the uk they have proper dental hygienists at the actual practice that do a proper thorough clean - we always visited the hygienist as a matter of course. Haven't been able to find the equivalent over here.:thumbdown:
As for UK teeth being awful - so far personally haven't had to have any teeth extracted or fillings done in 40 years of regular visits.:fingerscrossed:

There are some around - http://www.dentalhygienist.net.au/.

Amazulu Jun 15th 2011 1:13 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 9433237)

I get me teeth cleaned 1-2 times a year. I have never had this work done by a dentist, only by a dental hygienist. There are loads of them out there - most dental surgeries have at least one.

Hope this helps.

AlliF Jun 15th 2011 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9433285)
There are loads of them out there - most dental surgeries have at least one.

Hope this helps.

Must just be a melbourne thing then, cos the 4 dentists i've been to haven't, and when i asked them about it they looked at me like i had just grown an extra head!:blink:

Amazulu Jun 15th 2011 2:26 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 9433372)
Must just be a melbourne thing then, cos the 4 dentists i've been to haven't, and when i asked them about it they looked at me like i had just grown an extra head!:blink:

Melbourne is backward compared to Perth so I'm not surprised. ;)

AlliF Jun 15th 2011 3:34 am

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 9433277)
There are some around - http://www.dentalhygienist.net.au/.

Thanks Helen. Looking at that there are only 7 listed in the whole of Melbourne though. (and google yielded similar results) So, 7 for 3million+ people - I reckon they must be a bit busy!!:ohmy:

AlliF Jun 15th 2011 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9433385)
Melbourne is backward compared to Perth so I'm not surprised. ;)

:sneaky: Yeah Perth is known as the vanguard of the dentistry world i'm sure..:p

bcworld Jun 15th 2011 3:37 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 9433463)
Thanks Helen. Looking at that there are only 7 listed in the whole of Melbourne though. (and google yielded similar results) So, 7 for 3million+ people - I reckon they must be a bit busy!!:ohmy:

When I go to the dentist, he does all the prodding around, and heavy scraping with sharp instruments, if there is any to be done...and someone else does the general cleaning / polishing. However I'm sure the practice doesn't advertise having a hygienist.