Reload this Page >

Hong Kong stopover - phones/PDA's

Hong Kong stopover - phones/PDA's

Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong stopover - phones/PDA's

Hello all,

am stopping in HK for about 2 hours, just enough for some duty free shopping. anyone had experience of buying phones, PDA's etc there? Wondered if prices would be way better then here in the UK?

Thanks!

ST
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong stopover - phones/PDA's

Originally posted by swiss tony
Hello all,

am stopping in HK for about 2 hours, just enough for some duty free shopping. anyone had experience of buying phones, PDA's etc there? Wondered if prices would be way better then here in the UK?

Thanks!

ST
Prices are definitely a lot cheaper in Hong Kong than in the UK. However if you only have 2 hours you really don't have enough time to get out of the airport to shop in the city (in Mongkok or Wanchai) where the best bargains are.

At the airport, there is a "Fortress" shop, a large local electronics chain, in the check-in area, so you'll need to go through immigration to get out and back in again. Not sure if the airline (I assume you're flying Cathay Pacific?) will allow you to get out if you only have 2 hours.

There are a few other electronics/game stores in the departure area but the prices are not very competitive, although they may still be cheaper than in the UK/Australia high street stores.

Here's the link to shops at the HK Int'l Airport:
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/s...ay.jsp?catid=6

You can always phone the shops (numbers listed on link above)and ask if they have what you want and compare prices before you leave London.

Good luck and have fun at your stopover,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:38 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong stopover - phones/PDA's

Originally posted by swiss tony
Hello all,

Thanks!

ST
ST
I bought a Sony Ericcson P800 for about 25% cheaper than the UK. I bought in shop in Hong Kong.
Damn thing is mostly in Chinese!
Cannot get the software changed but it is about 95% English now but defaults to Chinese when it crashes and the Chinese language software has taken up 25% extra memory.

From my recollection the airport was not that much cheaper than UK airport duty free. But, Beware, buy an English version of whatever you buy, not a Chinese version that can do English!

Andrew
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing to think about is the guarantee....check that it is worldwide, not just for the one country