Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Honest Opinion's please. Brissy or Perth?

Honest Opinion's please. Brissy or Perth?

Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Far Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura about
Default Honest Opinion's please. Brissy or Perth?

I will be coming to stay in approx. 2-3 months.
I have the option of anywhere in Aus to stay but we have narrowed it down to Brisbane or Perth, purely on what people we have met or stay in Australia have said and advised us?

Work wise it does not matter where I am based.
I have two teenage children Girl 14 and Boy 13.

What are the pros and cons? What would you recommend if you were to start on your voyage again?

All honest help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice
Default Re: Honest Opinion's please. Brissy or Perth?

Hi
I came to Perth when mine were 4-8 and enjoyed every minute of living here great for a young family.Would I do it diffrent if starting again maybe especally witht eh kdis been older more to do in Brisbane or more Gold coast way.Plus a lot easier and cheaper to travel tot he other states.Not cheap from Perth.Are the kids looking forward to coming over?Good luck.
Originally Posted by Far Fae Hame
I have the option of anywhere in Aus to stay but we have narrowed it down to Brisbane or Perth, purely on what people we have met or stay in Australia have said and advised us?

What are the pros and cons? What would you recommend if you were to start on your voyage again?

Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Brissy.

definitely!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Far Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shade8
Hi
I came to Perth when mine were 4-8 and enjoyed every minute of living here great for a young family.Would I do it diffrent if starting again maybe especally witht eh kdis been older more to do in Brisbane or more Gold coast way.Plus a lot easier and cheaper to travel tot he other states.Not cheap from Perth.Are the kids looking forward to coming over?Good luck.
Not sure if the kids are more scared than us, but we are all looking forward to just getting going :scared:

We have friends of friends and some work mates in both areas and they all swear by their own areas, which I suppose is to be expected

So its nice to get a neutral point of view?
My wife and I are coming over for a scouting mission, but we have only two weeks and we know it won't be enough, but we have to start somewhere!

Hopefully we will get it right?
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Also consider where you will get work.No point I.T coming to Perth I would say.
www.seek.com.au
Not sure if the kids are more scared than us, but we are all looking forward to just getting going :scared:

We have friends of friends and some work mates in both areas and they all swear by their own areas, which I suppose is to be expected

So its nice to get a neutral point of view?
My wife and I are coming over for a scouting mission, but we have only two weeks and we know it won't be enough, but we have to start somewhere!

Hopefully we will get it right?
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This topic divides a load of people on this site & generates a lot of debate! I think Brisbane is a craphole & much prefer Perth. For me Perth offers the ability to earn a good income & a great lifestyle. Renth put it perfectly recently when he said you either 'get' Perth or you don't. I get it, for others it's different.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shade8
Also consider where you will get work.No point I.T coming to Perth I would say.
www.seek.com.au
Work is not in the equation as I will be commuting back and forth to it anyway.

It is purely for the lifestyle aspect espescially for the kids
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This topic divides a load of people on this site & generates a lot of debate! I think Brisbane is a craphole & much prefer Perth. For me Perth offers the ability to earn a good income & a great lifestyle. Renth put it perfectly recently when he said you either 'get' Perth or you don't. I get it, for others it's different.
I see where you are coming from

As I said in the initial post as expected, most people plump for their home place

I just wondered what attracted some to Brissy and some to Perth.
Is it for example the climate? The activities? etc............

A simple opinion was what I was looking for and at no time did I want to split or cause any hassle to anyone :scared:

Cheers
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:53 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Neither, why do poms think Perth or brisbane are the only two places in OZ .
Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Brisbane but there again that is where we live and we love it. I had a place offered at universities in both places so could choose and we chose Brisbane due to Perth being more isolated from other places and also because there was a chance my husband could get some contract work with a company in Sydney.
I would love to visit Perth one day though and see what it is that people like about it.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne of course!!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:04 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment on Brisbane as i have never been firther than the airport and that was 20odd years ago, but i do love Perth or "get it" as someone else said.

I like the climate, reatively low humidity, dry heat, cooling sea breezes. I would like the winter nights to be warmer but well they are no where near as cold as when i was a kid in scotland so i shouldn't moan.
I like the veriety of things we can do as a family, mainly outdoor activities.
The friendliness, the relaxed lifestyle, the fact that it is very family orientated.

But you could say most of these things about many aussie cities, sometimes its just down to fate, if you feel a pull towards one or the other even if you can't justify it maybe you should throw caution to the wiond and go for it.

Lynn
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:09 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by movetoperth
But you could say most of these things about many aussie cities, sometimes its just down to fate, if you feel a pull

Lynn
Whatever floats your boat Lynn.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 6:55 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

The only drawback to Brissy is it can get quite hot and humid during summer. It gets hot in perth too but not anywhere near as humid.

Brisbane has a pulse of life (which perth really lacks) and people are generally far more friendly, outgoing and chatty than perthites.

Personally I probably wouldn't choose either to live in tho, but if I had to make a choice it would definitely be in favour of Brisbane.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:34 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

I see where you are coming from

As I said in the initial post as expected, most people plump for their home place

I just wondered what attracted some to Brissy and some to Perth.
Is it for example the climate? The activities? etc............

A simple opinion was what I was looking for and at no time did I want to split or cause any hassle to anyone :scared:

Cheers
Hi

.................. in that case............ Sydney

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.