Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Honda CRV good buy?

Honda CRV good buy?

Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default Honda CRV good buy?

I'd appreciate your views on Honda CRV from your experience as about to buy 2001 model with 110000kms on for $11k. Single owner in superb conditions just want an opinion whether its worth it and experience with these cars ... Redbook shows price range $6,200 - $7,900 for cars with ave 150 -250,000kms
it hasS/S Nudge bar, side steps,tow bar. In dash DVD player with reverse camera.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honda CRV good buy?

We've had our 2000 CRV since 2006. One previous owner and had 80,000km on the clock. We paid $16,000 for it and it is now worth about $6-7,000 with 120,000. I'm thinking $11,000 could be a bit on the high side but then again, CRVs retain their value.

We do love our car and it has served us well. The original battery only died in 2007 and it is pretty much the only thing we've had to change. If the car you are looking at has a good service history, it should serve you well. We've been told by various mechanics that our CRV still has many years to go. They are really good reliable cars.:sunglasses:
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

lizzieq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MeinMel
I'd appreciate your views on Honda CRV from your experience as about to buy 2001 model with 110000kms on for $11k. Single owner in superb conditions just want an opinion whether its worth it and experience with these cars ... Redbook shows price range $6,200 - $7,900 for cars with ave 150 -250,000kms
it hasS/S Nudge bar, side steps,tow bar. In dash DVD player with reverse camera.
We arrived this March knowing we only had one day in Sydney to buy a car and drive it up to QLD, and so I did research in the UK before we left and Honda's CRV was in the top 3 of used car buys for the 2000 model. We bought a 2001 auto with 169,000kms for $8500. A 1 owner and in great condition. After 15,000kms and 8 months all we've had to do is change the oringinal battery and replace a weeping water pump. Oil consumption is negliable and all the multitude of electronics still work perfectly. However, beware a timing belt change due at 120,000kms if it hasn't already been done, as this is a $1000 job. Also the UK review made clear that the models longevity was down to a full service schedule being met. Even if the belt has been changed the $11000 seems dear even with the low mileage. As everyday transport I can't fault the model, but the 4wd facility is of no use in Australian terms. It was developed for icy roads and snow in its mainmarket place of north USA. Tha high ground clearence is however really useful in the many Nat. parks and their unsealed roads.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MeinMel
If that's what the Redbook says, then it sounds like you're paying a couple of grand too much. Is it private sale or dealer?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
If that's what the Redbook says, then it sounds like you're paying a couple of grand too much. Is it private sale or dealer?
That's what I thought too. Our mileage is 150,000km (not 120,000km as previously written ) but I would probably only pay up to $9,500 for the car the OP describes.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Seems a little overpriced. I got a 2004 CRV Sport for that price with 143k on the clock. Though that was an excellent price compared to others on the market.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the price - though it does seem pretty high - but my 2004 CR-V Sport is the best overall car I have had. It takes a ton of "stuff", looks good and well, just works. Bit thirsty though.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Hi

I can't comment on the price or mileage but I can tell you that I have had my CRV since 2003 and it has been a great car. I would buy again in Oz
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

RichardA92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice conversation about Honda CR-V. I would like to share something about it.Honda's compact SUV enters 2004 with few changes. CR-V comes in LX and EX versions. LX models come with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, uplevel EXs with AWD only.