Honda CR-V

Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice
Default Honda CR-V

Hi

I am hoping someone can give me some pointers.
We are looking to buy a Honda CR-V when in Australia.
Don't know if better buying new or second hand.
I wondered what everyone's thoughts are with the CR-V whether you own one or have owned one.
Was it reliable?
Does anyone know if they do a diesel version and is it any good?
Are the running costs reasonable,tyres, parts and servicing?

Many thanks
WWWT
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Honda CR-V

We live about 100km South West from Brisbane, down the Cunningham Highway on 75 acres on the side of Mount Greville in the Scenic Rim. The car has to cope with long trips for shopping, because we run a luxury B & B and short trips round the block to the orchard etc. I bought a CRV - had it delivered to me at the airport when I arrived -met the plane. I have done 110,000 in 3 years and had no trouble whatsoever. Serviced at a Honda dealer. Bigger cars are used by many on this sort of country block but they use a lot of fuel and the climate guilt feeling is building.

Can't understand why you want a diesel, as diesel costs about 25% more than petrol. First tyres lasted 50k next set cheaper 30k so gone back to Firestone.http://www.zengarra.com/gallery/

Due to financial situation here a cash deal at the dealer will get you a really good buy. Even if you want finance, still push the price they are very hungry. So I would think new and keep it for up to 10 years is the way to go. Cars do not deteriorate here as fast - not salt on the roads.

Hope this helps

Mike
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Ran a a previous model CR-V for 3 years in the UK: biggest boot I have ever had, OK to drive, eats petrol at higher speeds e.g. 80ish, resonable on dirt tracks, very reliable, no faults then wrote it off when we hit someone at 40mph - again, family all walked away and car did its thing and protected us!!

Diesels not particularly refined as other models in Honda range and quite expensive - also, not sure if they are sold in Oz.

Wife wants a white older shape when we go in around June 09 and she is spot on in my opinion!!

Twinset
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

OH has a 2007 new shape CRV, great car very reliable and pretty cheap to run.
I know they are not the cheapest to buy but they do hold there value very well.

We have an offroad camper trailer and we tow with it and don't have any problems at all. They don't do the diesel version in Australia, there are only 3 variants basic, sport or luxury available in auto or manual.

Hope this helps.

John
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

No diesel version of the CR-V on sale in Oz, and as others have said, diesel is currently around 30% more expensive than petrol ($0.96c against $1.26 yesterday) over here.

New or second hand? Comes down to personal choice, how much you've got to spend etc. Cars hold their value much better here than in the UK.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my CR-V new when we arrived - set it up from the UK - and it was ready the morning after we got here. We just had to provide the details to the garage and took delivery 100 yds from the hotel.

Best car I've owned, apart perhaps for a 3l Accord coupe. It takes a truly enormous amount of baggage, handles very well, has a tiny turning circle and even I can park it easily: the corners are exactly where you expect them to be.

The petrol consumption isn't great: 10l/100Km, which is the published rate. I have always had much better consumption than the book rate on other cars since I drive very conservatively, but only just make the book rate on the CR-V.

I put a trailer ball on the back and have trailed quite staggering weights down the Hume Highway - but don't tell anyone....

Next car will be ........ a CR-V.

(Or a Tesla if they get to Australia - 0 -60mph in 3.9 secs on batteries)
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:43 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere
Hi

I wondered what everyone's thoughts are with the CR-V whether you own one or have owned one.
Was it reliable?

Many thanks
WWWT
We had a CR-V Executive (2004) from new in the UK and it's the best car we ever owned. We have Suzuki Grand Vitara now and I think it's poor by comparison.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:33 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere
Hi

Was it reliable?

Many thanks
WWWT
We sold our CRV within 6 months. Its a great build quality but ultimately the design is very poor. It just isn't anything. Its not a soft roader, its not a car, its just plain weird.

There is a lot better vehicles out there for the same money to my mind.

To quote top gear "Taking the nonsensical world of the urban SUV to its logical conclusion, Honda’s CR-V is a vehicle that has no interest in, or ability on, the rough stuff. It’s a strangely lofty looking family car with four-wheel drive. Good, but we’re not sure quite what at."

And that sums it up. It cant tow anything at all. It cant go on the beach. Its not as good as a car on the tarmac. What is it good at ? We had no idea and hence ditched ours.

IMO - get a decent road roader if thats what your aiming at. Something which actually has a purpose in life.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a 2002 (I think!) CRV, love it
Even with a child seat in the back you can still fit two adults as well and plenty of boot space.
New or 2nd hand - personal choice I suppose, I'd never buy a new car as they loose money so quickly and I'm not keen on the new CRV shape either.
and we've used ours to tow stuff...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
We sold our CRV within 6 months. Its a great build quality but ultimately the design is very poor. It just isn't anything. Its not a soft roader, its not a car, its just plain weird.

There is a lot better vehicles out there for the same money to my mind.

To quote top gear "Taking the nonsensical world of the urban SUV to its logical conclusion, Honda’s CR-V is a vehicle that has no interest in, or ability on, the rough stuff. It’s a strangely lofty looking family car with four-wheel drive. Good, but we’re not sure quite what at."

And that sums it up. It cant tow anything at all. It cant go on the beach. Its not as good as a car on the tarmac. What is it good at ? We had no idea and hence ditched ours.

IMO - get a decent road roader if thats what your aiming at. Something which actually has a purpose in life.
Think I'd agree with that. Much better, more spacious wagons about if you want room for luggage, some with 7 seats. Much better 4wds about if you're after a 4wd. Don't really get the CRV nor the HRV, nor the Toyota Rav . . .
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Think I'd agree with that. Much better, more spacious wagons about if you want room for luggage, some with 7 seats. Much better 4wds about if you're after a 4wd. Don't really get the CRV nor the HRV, nor the Toyota Rav . . .
My Subaru is OK
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
My Subaru is OK
No need to take it personally G!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No need to take it personally G!
Got a Patrol for the heavy stuff
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Horses for courses.

If you want a serious offroader then arm yourself with plenty of money and buy a Landcruiser, if your want 7 seats get a people carrier like the Tarago.

My OH loves her CR-V and it does have a decent tow weight for it's size 1600kgs.

Agree about the HRV, what was that about
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Got a Patrol for the heavy stuff
The bigger the boy the bigger the toy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.