Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Homeless in Sydney....yikes!

Homeless in Sydney....yikes!

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Homeless in Sydney....yikes!

Hi all, I know this has been posted before, but it looks like Ill be arriving on 19th of this month with nowhere to live and all my stuff stuck in storage.

The one rental I applied for over the weekend I didn't get, though the agent said it was between me and one other person, which I guess is hopeful. I have packs made up with references, ID all the guff and a covering letter, I guess itll just be a case of trapsing round when I get there?

I start my new job on 30th, hope Im not still homeless by then!

Any advice tips etc very welcome, is it worth just going round and talking to agents when Im there, explaining my situation?

Cheers guys.... very stressed:curse:
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeless in Sydney....yikes!

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Hi all, I know this has been posted before, but it looks like Ill be arriving on 19th of this month with nowhere to live and all my stuff stuck in storage.

The one rental I applied for over the weekend I didn't get, though the agent said it was between me and one other person, which I guess is hopeful. I have packs made up with references, ID all the guff and a covering letter, I guess itll just be a case of trapsing round when I get there?

I start my new job on 30th, hope Im not still homeless by then!

Any advice tips etc very welcome, is it worth just going round and talking to agents when Im there, explaining my situation?

Cheers guys.... very stressed:curse:
Whats your budget, backpackers or short term accom, like a discount hotel. Backpackers - scary but cheap
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I have short a short term place, I couldn't face a backpackers after the nightmare weekend I had, this is a budget hotel that looks ok. Its the long term that worries me more!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:57 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Which suburbs are you interested in, Pompey? I think the shortage is easing up. You really do need to be here and present at viewings though.

My house might be up for grabs soon if the LL keeps pissing me off.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi, Im looking at Newtown and round that area, consider anything near a train station and central.

You're right I think I need to calm down and take a deep breath! (don't panic!) I think I had such a horrible time at the backpackers from hell I was so hoping to get a place of my own quickly! Once Im there itll be easier.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

helsbells79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear you didn't have any joy at the weekend.

I would ask the agency for feedback as to why you didn't get the place at the weekend. They may be able to give you some tips for your next application.

We found some agencies were a little anti-british cos they think we are all backpackers, but we got our place through Callaghers (office in Annandale)...the manager of the rentals section is Irish (came here over 10yrs ago) so very understanding of our situation. My advice is try and 'make friends' with agents as it's all about who they like. It's a crap process!!!!

Fingers crossed you find something soon.

H x
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Hells, the house I liked had a few applications, it was between me and another applicant and they got it, so maybe they were Australian and thats what swung it!

I have a govt job, good Aussie references etc so the only thing going against me is my pommyness!!! I probably should have been friendlier to the agent, but its the landlord who decided I guess. Hey it was my first application that would just have been too lucky!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:14 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I wouldn't assume it has anything to do with your nationality.

In Canberra recently nobody - no matter their nationality, education, salary or references - could find rental properties. Sometimes it really did just come down to luck.

I would be applying for more than one place at a time. Compared to finding rental properties in the UK, Australia can be a bit of a nightmare.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SNH

In Canberra recently nobody - no matter their nationality, education, salary or references - could find rental properties. Sometimes it really did just come down to luck.

I would be applying for more than one place at a time. Compared to finding rental properties in the UK, Australia can be a bit of a nightmare.
Sorry if this has been already posted but I have stayed at the YHA Glebe on several occasions - it is a great location with easy access to the city and is very well run.

Great for a short term quick fix.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

helsbells79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah...def would have been a bit of a miracle to come down for one weekend and get a place sorted!! I got quite down about finding a place...but now I look back...it only actually took two and a half weeks, it just felt longer. And part of the reason for the delay was us moving money from the UK.

We stayed in a hotel....found it on lastminute.com.au and it was reasonable. Infact...same nightly charge as a private room in hostels nearby!! There is no way I would have coped in a proper backpackers place!!

You will get sorted!! Half the time I think it's a lucky dip and they just pull an application out of a hat! You sound like a great tenant...so you'll find something!!

H x
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Im staying at the Australian Sunrise lodge in newtown, looks ok, have booked for a week to start with. I think the problem at the weekend was that I only found one place I'd consider living in. It was diffucult doing it on foot too. (my car will be there once I arrive)

I think Ive now accepted I will have to pay more so will be looking at things in that price range, honestly, one place was literally falling down! So Ill be putting in applcations on everywhere reasonable once I get there!

Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:10 am
ABCDiamond

Move a bit further out West,
My Agent is having trouble finding the "right" tenant for us !!!

The place has been vacant for two weeks now. I'm not sure we have the best agent for the job !!!

Unfortunately it is about an hour by train from Sydney Central.

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/ caters for a different audience which might be good for you
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Move a bit further out West,
My Agent is having trouble finding the "right" tenant for us !!!

The place has been vacant for two weeks now. I'm not sure we have the best agent for the job !!!

Unfortunately it is about an hour by train from Sydney Central.
She's a single chick, she needs to be where the action is!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH

I wouldn't assume it has anything to do with your nationality either. It is very possible that the others offered to pay 6 months rent upfront or offered to pay more than the asking price. There could be 100 different reasons why they got the place and not the OP. The best thing to do is ask the agent why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.