Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Homebuyers Grant

Homebuyers Grant

Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Homebuyers Grant

We have just had an email from some friends of ours in Brisbane, who we hope to be joining soon, and they said that the Government are considering raising the 1st time buyers home grant from $7000 to $14000 Has anybody else heard anything about this and when it might come into effect.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homebuyers Grant

Originally Posted by grahampaula
We have just had an email from some friends of ours in Brisbane, who we hope to be joining soon, and they said that the Government are considering raising the 1st time buyers home grant from $7000 to $14000 Has anybody else heard anything about this and when it might come into effect.

It was $14000 but was reduced to the current $7000 at least five years ago by the Federal Gov't. Haven't heard anything about that they are considering raising it again. There were several cases where people rorted the system, such as applying for it in the names of children for different properties, so much that they were at one stage considering cancelling the whole thing.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Hya
Ive been doing a bit of research into this and depending where you look the grant is between 3 and 7 thousand australian dollars. This has to be on a house which is your main residence and you can be approved on it even of you have owned a house outside Australia.
It is also available on new builds and must be applied for by 14 months after the house has been built.
Good luck in Adelaide
Louise
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Hya
Ive been doing a bit of research into this and depending where you look the grant is between 3 and 7 thousand australian dollars. This has to be on a house which is your main residence and you can be approved on it even of you have owned a house outside Australia.
It is also available on new builds and must be applied for by 14 months after the house has been built.
Good luck in Adelaide
Louise
Well I suppose that any amount is a bonus We are hoping to build so that is a bonus too. By the way we are going to Brisbane not Adelaide but thank you for you good luck wishes.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

But remember you need PR to get it, I'm a 457 visa holder and not entitled to owt
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahampaula

It was on the news the other day, no figures were mentioned though. The report was that it had been recommended to the government but that's all it is for now.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:01 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
But remember you need PR to get it, I'm a 457 visa holder and not entitled to owt
True - but you can back-claim provided you purchased the house no more than 12 months previously.
I came on a 457 and bought a house; applied for the FHOG when I became a PR 12 months later and then got the grant! Nice!
My PR visa was 1 year and 1 day after the house purchase so really I missed the boat by 1 day but they gave it to me anyway.
No complaints from here!
So get your timing right and buy 12 months or closer to applying for PR.

Andrew
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it also depends on which state you are in. The standard federal govt grant is $7,000, but in Victoria first home owners can get an additional $3,000 subject to them purchasing a property less than $500,000.

AJ
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andrew63
True - but you can back-claim provided you purchased the house no more than 12 months previously.
I came on a 457 and bought a house; applied for the FHOG when I became a PR 12 months later and then got the grant! Nice!
My PR visa was 1 year and 1 day after the house purchase so really I missed the boat by 1 day but they gave it to me anyway.
No complaints from here!
So get your timing right and buy 12 months or closer to applying for PR.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Have you got any info on how you start on the back-claim process? B useful 4 us to know.

Cheers

Mx
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:45 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
Hi Andrew

Have you got any info on how you start on the back-claim process? B useful 4 us to know.

Cheers

Mx
Nothing special, just fill in the standard FHOG forms. As long as the completion date is within 12 months of becoming PR, it will be paid. At least, this is for QLD.

Andrew
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andrew63
Nothing special, just fill in the standard FHOG forms. As long as the completion date is within 12 months of becoming PR, it will be paid. At least, this is for QLD.

Andrew
Great aint they this Queensland Govt? Let's hope our PR application goes through OK. Thanks for enlightening us on this. Have a drink on me

Mx