British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Home contents insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/home-contents-insurance-727107/)

steen1976 Aug 2nd 2011 3:16 am

Home contents insurance

Anyone care to recommend a decent home insurance company for contents only?

Have had quote from AAMI and NRMA but every other links found via google have been pretty frustrating. Broken links to quote engines, unable to quote as wrong state or because I'm not currently insured etc

Thanks

Sherlock Holmes Aug 2nd 2011 3:24 am

Re: Home contents insurance

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 9532282)
Anyone care to recommend a decent home insurance company for contents only?

Have had quote from AAMI and NRMA but every other links found via google have been pretty frustrating. Broken links to quote engines, unable to quote as wrong state or because I'm not currently insured etc

Thanks

Not sure about contents only but we use RACV for all our insurance. There'll be an RACV equivalent for your state.

Kooky. Aug 2nd 2011 3:30 am

We're with NRMA, contents only. Can't quite recall setting it up so it can't have been too traumatic.

goldchoccycoin Aug 2nd 2011 3:37 am

I use AAMI Renter's Insurance (Contents only)

AAMI Renter's Insurance

When I looked originally I think only AAMI, NRMA and RACQ offered this type of insurance.

AAMI is fire and theft only. RACQ offer comprehensive contents insurance or just fire/theft RACQ

steen1976 Aug 2nd 2011 4:00 am

Thanks folks. I couldn't get a quote from RACV (being in NSW). But a search for an equivalent suggests that it's NRMA anyway.

Doesn't look like there is much choice here so I'll probably go with AAMI as it's portable cover can be taken abroad too (and the article limits are higher than you can usually get with travel insurance). The prices were pretty similar - and quite high compared to UK contents insurance.

The insurance market is a good 5 years behind the UK here. Lots of scope for those in the industry :thumbup:

Kooky. Aug 2nd 2011 4:02 am

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 9532313)
Thanks folks. I couldn't get a quote from RACV (being in NSW). But a search for an equivalent suggests that it's NRMA anyway.

Doesn't look like there is much choice here so I'll probably go with AAMI as it's portable cover can be taken abroad too (and the article limits are higher than you can usually get with travel insurance). The prices were pretty similar - and quite high compared to UK contents insurance.

The insurance market is a good 5 years behind the UK here. Lots of scope for those in the industry :thumbup:

I have a vague recollection that some companies' maximum cover was not very high for renters, didn't seem to take into account the number of gadgets a lot of people have these days.

In Exile Aug 2nd 2011 4:42 am

I use GIO.
Our premioum is around 75 a month which includes up to about 75,000k contents and accidental damage, overseas cover etc.
specified items = a 10,000 dollar engagement ring and two iphone 4s (on pay as you go, so it only covers the cost of the phones themselves)

I havent got any complaints but then:
a) I havent checked around for something cheaper
b) touch wood, I havent had to make a claim. Thats when the shit can sometimes hit the fan.

DeadVim Aug 2nd 2011 4:46 am

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9532361)
I use GIO.
Our premioum is around 75 a month which includes up to about 75,000k contents and accidental damage, overseas cover etc.
specified items = a 10,000 dollar engagement ring and two iphone 4s (on pay as you go, so it only covers the cost of the phones themselves)

b) touch wood, I havent had to make a claim. Thats when the shit can sometimes hit the fan.

GIO = Suncorp I believe? That's who we are with, they seemed competitive at the time and I've not had a problem with their customer service.

Kooky. Aug 2nd 2011 4:50 am

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9532361)
<snip>

Ain't that the truth. They're always fine when you just pay them money and need nothing back.

spottydog Aug 3rd 2011 9:14 am

off the top of my head:
all the big 4 banks, aami, allianz, gio, youi, budget, cgu, real, suncorp, qbe, nrma.

I know some in this list may be owned by the same parent company but it doesn't stop them giving different quotes

Wendy Aug 16th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by AliGujjar (Post 9562727)
<<advert removed>> offers consumers complete solutions for auto and home insurance for over 50 years. In 1997, <<advert removed>> became the first insurance company in North America to offer auto insurance quotes online, directly to customers.

Erm, wrong country mate :rofl:

Pollyana Aug 16th 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9562746)
Erm, wrong country mate :rofl:

He's leaving the building as we speak..... :sneaky:

steen1976 Aug 17th 2011 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9562786)
He's leaving the building as we speak..... :sneaky:

Please shout after him and thank him for reminding me to sort this out....