Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Home contents insurance

Anyone care to recommend a decent home insurance company for contents only?

Have had quote from AAMI and NRMA but every other links found via google have been pretty frustrating. Broken links to quote engines, unable to quote as wrong state or because I'm not currently insured etc

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:24 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home contents insurance

Originally Posted by steen1976
Anyone care to recommend a decent home insurance company for contents only?

Have had quote from AAMI and NRMA but every other links found via google have been pretty frustrating. Broken links to quote engines, unable to quote as wrong state or because I'm not currently insured etc

Thanks
Not sure about contents only but we use RACV for all our insurance. There'll be an RACV equivalent for your state.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We're with NRMA, contents only. Can't quite recall setting it up so it can't have been too traumatic.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:37 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I use AAMI Renter's Insurance (Contents only)

AAMI Renter's Insurance

When I looked originally I think only AAMI, NRMA and RACQ offered this type of insurance.

AAMI is fire and theft only. RACQ offer comprehensive contents insurance or just fire/theft RACQ
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Thanks folks. I couldn't get a quote from RACV (being in NSW). But a search for an equivalent suggests that it's NRMA anyway.

Doesn't look like there is much choice here so I'll probably go with AAMI as it's portable cover can be taken abroad too (and the article limits are higher than you can usually get with travel insurance). The prices were pretty similar - and quite high compared to UK contents insurance.

The insurance market is a good 5 years behind the UK here. Lots of scope for those in the industry
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Thanks folks. I couldn't get a quote from RACV (being in NSW). But a search for an equivalent suggests that it's NRMA anyway.

Doesn't look like there is much choice here so I'll probably go with AAMI as it's portable cover can be taken abroad too (and the article limits are higher than you can usually get with travel insurance). The prices were pretty similar - and quite high compared to UK contents insurance.

The insurance market is a good 5 years behind the UK here. Lots of scope for those in the industry
I have a vague recollection that some companies' maximum cover was not very high for renters, didn't seem to take into account the number of gadgets a lot of people have these days.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

I use GIO.
Our premioum is around 75 a month which includes up to about 75,000k contents and accidental damage, overseas cover etc.
specified items = a 10,000 dollar engagement ring and two iphone 4s (on pay as you go, so it only covers the cost of the phones themselves)

I havent got any complaints but then:
a) I havent checked around for something cheaper
b) touch wood, I havent had to make a claim. Thats when the shit can sometimes hit the fan.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
I use GIO.
Our premioum is around 75 a month which includes up to about 75,000k contents and accidental damage, overseas cover etc.
specified items = a 10,000 dollar engagement ring and two iphone 4s (on pay as you go, so it only covers the cost of the phones themselves)

b) touch wood, I havent had to make a claim. Thats when the shit can sometimes hit the fan.
GIO = Suncorp I believe? That's who we are with, they seemed competitive at the time and I've not had a problem with their customer service.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:50 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by In Exile
<snip>
Ain't that the truth. They're always fine when you just pay them money and need nothing back.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

off the top of my head:
all the big 4 banks, aami, allianz, gio, youi, budget, cgu, real, suncorp, qbe, nrma.

I know some in this list may be owned by the same parent company but it doesn't stop them giving different quotes
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliGujjar
<<advert removed>> offers consumers complete solutions for auto and home insurance for over 50 years. In 1997, <<advert removed>> became the first insurance company in North America to offer auto insurance quotes online, directly to customers.
Erm, wrong country mate

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 16th 2011 at 1:11 pm. Reason: see bits removed from quote!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Erm, wrong country mate
He's leaving the building as we speak.....
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
He's leaving the building as we speak.....
Please shout after him and thank him for reminding me to sort this out....