Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home alone again...

Home alone again...

Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:25 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Home alone again...

As you may or may not know, my OH transferred from the British Army into the Aussie Army, after 18 years of service. I'm obviously used to him being away for a few weeks at a time here and there, but fortunately during our time together he hasn't been on tour. Now that we're in Oz and he's away a few nights here, a week or two there I'm finding it quite difficult, don't get me wrong I have made a few decent friends already, some of whom are also army families, so can empathise, but I'm not one to pester people during the weekends as I know how precious time away from work is for Simon and I. Obviously when Simon goes on tour or a course, for like a month or an awful lot more, then I will be trying to keep myself busy and taking people up on offers of BBQ's etc but for now I can cope with these short times away, just about. I think I'm finding it to so difficult as I no longer have my dog, she was rehomed before we left the UK and there's that obvious lack of familiarity of my surroundings and also close family and friends etc.

So my question is this, to those of you in a similar situation to myself, how do you try to keep yourself busy whilst your OH is away, have you joined any 'groups' or 'teams' to keep you occupied? I'm normally such an independent person but the other week he was working from Friday til late Tuesday night and I found myself coming home from work dreading being in the house alone. Any suggestions anyone? Please?

A wee Jenny who doesn't often feel sorry for herself but is lately...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home alone again...

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
As you may or may not know, my OH transferred from the British Army into the Aussie Army, after 18 years of service. I'm obviously used to him being away for a few weeks at a time here and there, but fortunately during our time together he hasn't been on tour. Now that we're in Oz and he's away a few nights here, a week or two there I'm finding it quite difficult, don't get me wrong I have made a few decent friends already, some of whom are also army families, so can empathise, but I'm not one to pester people during the weekends as I know how precious time away from work is for Simon and I. Obviously when Simon goes on tour or a course, for like a month or an awful lot more, then I will be trying to keep myself busy and taking people up on offers of BBQ's etc but for now I can cope with these short times away, just about. I think I'm finding it to so difficult as I no longer have my dog, she was rehomed before we left the UK and there's that obvious lack of familiarity of my surroundings and also close family and friends etc.

So my question is this, to those of you in a similar situation to myself, how do you try to keep yourself busy whilst your OH is away, have you joined any 'groups' or 'teams' to keep you occupied? I'm normally such an independent person but the other week he was working from Friday til late Tuesday night and I found myself coming home from work dreading being in the house alone. Any suggestions anyone? Please?

A wee Jenny who doesn't often feel sorry for herself but is lately...
Might sound boring but I do craft, started off scrapbooking and then moved onto card making. I really enjoy it and it can absorb a lot of time too. When I first started a used to think how can anyone spend so much putting one photo on one page and add so much embelishments. Now I get it LOL.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Might sound boring but I do craft, started off scrapbooking and then moved onto card making. I really enjoy it and it can absorb a lot of time too. When I first started a used to think how can anyone spend so much putting one photo on one page and add so much embelishments. Now I get it LOL.
Yeah, I used to make my own jewellery, and have been known to enjoy the odd bit of cross stitch.... R u a defence family or is your OH in another line of work?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:35 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Have some kids, they will fill in the time
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:38 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Have some kids, they will fill in the time
B*gger that, no chance, it's bad enough teaching them lol
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

B*gger that, no chance, it's bad enough teaching them lol
How about catching up on the "lots of marking" and "hours of preparation" that teachers bleat they never have enough time to do?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by norfolkpedlar
How about catching up on the "lots of marking" and "hours of preparation" that teachers bleat they never have enough time to do?
Well I would do if QCT would hurry up with the processing of my Teacher Registration, I'll have been waiting three months next month!!! Right now I'm doing some casual Teacher Aide work and thankfully, it doesn't involve bringing work home lol
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Well I would do if QCT would hurry up with the processing of my Teacher Registration, I'll have been waiting three months next month!!! Right now I'm doing some casual Teacher Aide work and thankfully, it doesn't involve bringing work home lol

A girl in work who was from Sydney but lived in Brisbane was in the same boat so she went out a bought a puppy and never had to go home to empty house again...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by macy
A girl in work who was from Sydney but lived in Brisbane was in the same boat so she went out a bought a puppy and never had to go home to empty house again...
Would consider doing that, but we're both out of the house all day and I think it'd be cruel to leave it here all alone, all day long.... Back in the UK my Mum used to look after my dog everyday u see...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

When we moved here my teacher registration took 4 months, which perhaps a bit longer than the standard processing time for overseas applications.

A friend of mine who went to University in Queensland and then recently went back to finish off the last couple of courses applied late last year for hers. She said it took 4 months for them to approve, which is shocking really as she's an Aussie who was educated in the same state. I think she must have applied later in September.

So what I'm saying is don't be surprised if it takes 4 months.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:43 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by comet555
When we moved here my teacher registration took 4 months, which perhaps a bit longer than the standard processing time for overseas applications.

A friend of mine who went to University in Queensland and then recently went back to finish off the last couple of courses applied late last year for hers. She said it took 4 months for them to approve, which is shocking really as she's an Aussie who was educated in the same state. I think she must have applied later in September.

So what I'm saying is don't be surprised if it takes 4 months.
I know, it's a joke, luckily I've Teacher Aide work to tide me over meanwhile which I'm eternally grateful for!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:58 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

I feel your pain Jen, my hubby works away for a month at a time then gets just over 3 weeks at home and I get fed up and lonely when he's away. Got 3 kids which keeps me going but it's the conversation I miss, not having anyone to talk to at night when the kids have gone to bed I usually end up watching dvds at night, tv, read or spend time on the internet to pass the evening.

Sorry I can't really suggest anything useful but I hope you find something to fill your time

Ellie x
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:06 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by oz bound
I feel your pain Jen, my hubby works away for a month at a time then gets just over 3 weeks at home and I get fed up and lonely when he's away. Got 3 kids which keeps me going but it's the conversation I miss, not having anyone to talk to at night when the kids have gone to bed I usually end up watching dvds at night, tv, read or spend time on the internet to pass the evening.

Sorry I can't really suggest anything useful but I hope you find something to fill your time

Ellie x
Awww thanks chick, it's not easy is it, but at least you've the kids to keep you occupied. A month at a time is a bit of a nightmare, is he still in Australia during that month?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:11 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Awww thanks chick, it's not easy is it, but at least you've the kids to keep you occupied. A month at a time is a bit of a nightmare, is he still in Australia during that month?
No he's not unfortunately, he's closer to the UK than OZ! home next week though
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:12 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

If it were me I'd be doing a couple of sports things a week. I usually play volleyball once a week and for parts of the year one night of hockey too (ice that is).

If you're into doing something sporty then I'd have a look around at what interests you. Around our area there's netball, soccer, volleyball, beach volleyball, tennis and I'm sure if I looked I'd find more. There's social leagues or competitive so something for everyone (in my area anyways).

If you're not sporty then perhaps something crafty. There's photography, writing, crafts, scrap booking, etc.

I know if it were me I'd probably do sports 1-2 nights a week and then probably watch movies or read books the other nights. Everyone is different though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.