Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holidays in Melbourne?

Holidays in Melbourne?

Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future
Default Holidays in Melbourne?

Hi guys
Just want to say thanks so much for all the advice you have given so far, I have learnt so much from all your contributions to my threads.

I am going to be arriving in Melbourne late October.
My parents have decided to descend upon Melbourne for Christmas.

Now the plan is to try and get some sort of holiday home/apartment for them whilst they are in the city. So firstly, can anyone recommend a good area for me to start looking at for them, given that I am planning to be living in the St Kilda/Elwood area, so not too far from there, but without the 'city' feel really as they are getting on in years and I don't think they would appreciate the hustle and bustle of the city. Maybe the port? Or Bayside? Any ideas please?
It's really difficult because I want to get them booked up asap as of course Christmas period is peak, but without actually having been there myself, it is hard to choose for them!

Also, after this, I was thinking of finding a holiday rental for them outside Melbourne ie. somewhere in the outskirts, where do people holiday in outer Victoria? Can anyone recommend an area we can all spend a few days in which is picturesque and more of a holiday typ destination?

Sorry to be so vague but I am a bit clueless on this one, to be fair!
Don't want them to have a miserable time at the hands of me ie. I don't want the blame!!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help given.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Holidays in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310
Hi guys
Just want to say thanks so much for all the advice you have given so far, I have learnt so much from all your contributions to my threads.

Now the plan is to try and get some sort of holiday home/apartment for them whilst they are in the city. So firstly, can anyone recommend a good area for me to start looking at for them, given that I am planning to be living in the St Kilda/Elwood area, so not too far from there, but without the 'city' feel really as they are getting on in years and I don't think they would appreciate the hustle and bustle of the city. Maybe the port? Or Bayside? Any ideas please?
It's really difficult because I want to get them booked up asap as of course Christmas period is peak, but without actually having been there myself, it is hard to choose for them!

Also, after this, I was thinking of finding a holiday rental for them outside Melbourne ie. somewhere in the outskirts, where do people holiday in outer Victoria? Can anyone recommend an area we can all spend a few days in which is picturesque and more of a holiday typ destination?

Don't want them to have a miserable time at the hands of me ie. I don't want the blame!!!!!
Try Quest apartments in St Kilda, if thats's too expensive, there's a backpackers called I think "Home hostel", its cheap and cheerful, also St Kilda. My Aunt aged 60 stayed there about 2 years ago and was fine with it.

For the outer Victoria, there are a lot of choices depending on how far from Melbourne you want to travel. Try Wilsons Prom, Philip Island, Great Ocean Road (Lorne, Apollo Bay) or the Dandenongs for closer in.

Buzzy
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidays in Melbourne?

Hustle and bustle in Melbourne as its such a large sprawling city. There are a lot of serviced apartments in the city which may be ok. If you look at the web site Wotif it will give you some idea of apartments for short term rental and you could then contact them direct.

Really depends what your parents are interested in doing whilst here.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

You should be OK. Melbourne is relatively quiet at Christmas time with the hordes all heading up to Surfers and the Gold Coast, or down the Melbourne coast. Probably best to get yourself sorted first so you know where you stand. There are loads of local motels that your parents could stay in that wouldn't be too far from where you find a place to live. Depends how much they want to spend and what kind of experience they are after...
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:10 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys

Queenscliffe on the coast 1 hour west of Melbounre is a great place for a holiday or to visit, also the Anglesea and Great ocean road and the Grampian mountains. Wilson prompotory just west of Melbourne is also great.

Last edited by mohogony; Jul 29th 2009 at 8:13 am.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Wilson prompotory just west of Melbourne is also great.[/QUOTE]

East of Melbourne
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Holidays in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by jond
East of Melbourne

South East.

Buzzy
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:31 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
South East.

Buzzy
Sounds like people spending too much time on their Sat Navs and loosing basic orientations.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:18 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
South East.

Buzzy
Just ?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Sounds like people spending too much time on their Sat Navs and loosing basic orientations.
Loose people as well as losing?

I personally wouldn't recommend St Kilda for most older folk, perhaps Buzzy's rellie was the exception? Good recommendations for accommodation and places to visit.