Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holidaying in WA

Holidaying in WA

Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holidaying in WA

After advise of the peeps in WA. Been looking at a possible holiday in July with my 3 boys. Wondered if Monkey Mia resort is worth staying at. Has any one else stayed there?
We will only have a week as hubby is going away with work un accompanied for 8 months and we want some quality time together with the boys but also want them to have a fun time.
Mandy
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidaying in WA

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
After advise of the peeps in WA. Been looking at a possible holiday in July with my 3 boys. Wondered if Monkey Mia resort is worth staying at. Has any one else stayed there?
We will only have a week as hubby is going away with work un accompanied for 8 months and we want some quality time together with the boys but also want them to have a fun time.
Mandy
It's a hell of a long way to go to see some dolphins. I've been there and stayed in Denham not the resort, It's OK, not great and will be cold at that time of year.

If I were you I'd go to Kunnunurra or El Questro, somewhere like that and check out the amazing Kimberleys. Much closer to Darwin and July is probably the best time to go..
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

In a word NO!!!

We trekked the 5-6 hours up there from Perth and it was mega disappointing. The resort is very expensive and the neighbouring town of Denham unless it's changed in 5 years wasn't anything to write home about.

At MM the rangers keep you away from the dolphins as much as possible and unless you have a 4x4 you can't get to a lot of the countryside and other beaches.

When we were there (5 days) it was either too hot to go out (over 40 degrees) or too windy thanks to a cyclone heading up north.

I was so disappointed as my friend who had been there 20 odd years ago was able to paddle in and stroke the dolphins and I had really been looking forward to photographing the landscape (blue sea, white sand and then red rocks) but without the 4x4 it was impossible to go places. We tried hiring one but they were all taken.

One great thing we did do was go out on the Overshot catamaran into the marine park, the highlight!

I hope in some respects the place has changed, maybe someone has been recently but otherwise if I was you I'd head to Margaret River area as there is much more to do, just as nice beaches and sea around Geographe Bay and you can do the dolphin thing in Bunbury.

One great place on the way to Denham was Kalbarri, thought that was great and wished we had spent more time there but we had already pre-booked and paid for Denham.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
It's a hell of a long way to go to see some dolphins. I've been there and stayed in Denham not the resort, It's OK, not great and will be cold at that time of year.

If I were you I'd go to Kunnunurra or El Questro, somewhere like that and check out the amazing Kimberleys. Much closer to Darwin and July is probably the best time to go..
I'd agree with this. My husband loved Kunnunurra - and it's much warmer in July than further south.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:11 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
Id agree with others. A week is too much. We were there 3 days and that was fine. To get the most 4WD is essential.
Funnily enough we love it and are going for 3 days at Easter.

In July I'd also consider Exmouth and Ningaloo. Gorges, canyons, coral, beaches - lots of variety and good weather. Take boat trips for manta rays and whale sharks.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:16 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
In a word NO!!!

We trekked the 5-6 hours up there from Perth and it was mega disappointing. The resort is very expensive and the neighbouring town of Denham unless it's changed in 5 years wasn't anything to write home about.

At MM the rangers keep you away from the dolphins as much as possible and unless you have a 4x4 you can't get to a lot of the countryside and other beaches.

When we were there (5 days) it was either too hot to go out (over 40 degrees) or too windy thanks to a cyclone heading up north.

I was so disappointed as my friend who had been there 20 odd years ago was able to paddle in and stroke the dolphins and I had really been looking forward to photographing the landscape (blue sea, white sand and then red rocks) but without the 4x4 it was impossible to go places. We tried hiring one but they were all taken.

One great thing we did do was go out on the Overshot catamaran into the marine park, the highlight!

I hope in some respects the place has changed, maybe someone has been recently but otherwise if I was you I'd head to Margaret River area as there is much more to do, just as nice beaches and sea around Geographe Bay and you can do the dolphin thing in Bunbury.

One great place on the way to Denham was Kalbarri, thought that was great and wished we had spent more time there but we had already pre-booked and paid for Denham.

Hope this helps!
Margs for my money would be too cold and dead in July.

Anyway interesting your comments re the dolphins. I was there 20 odd years and like your friend hand fed them, stroked them etc but it was in some way a disturbing and intrusive experience; it felt like exploitation. I swore never to go back. However 20 years later I found myself there with some some trepidation and was delighted with the control they now had. Yes there was no personal contact but the "abuse" and exploitation had gone. I relayed this to the rangers who were delighted as they said often got the criticism that people could't touch etc like the old days.

Agree wholeheartedly re the SHotover thought great cruise.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I can see if the dolphins disappear there is no business, however, I thought they were a little too zealous in their control almost to the point of don't look at the dolphins as you might scare them away!

We had hoped to go up further but they advised against travel due to the cyclone so in the end I just felt we had wasted a few days, more fool us for planning and booking ahead but on that trip a lot of the accommodation was getting sold so we had to. That's where having your own 4x4 and a tent/caravan would be ideal!

Maybe if it had been a bit cooler and less windy we could have just slobbed out on the beaches. I hope Denham has improved in 5 years as most of the cafes were shut by lunchtime, so no afternoon coffee!

Hope you enjoy your trip, maybe we'll go again one day.

Ha! Overshot ...... Doh...senior moment!!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

I'd vote there too but I haven't done Monkey Mia. Renth - can you get into El Questro without 4WD - we haven't been up that far yet, friends have and love it but they do have a 4WD so I wasn't sure?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
I'd vote there too but I haven't done Monkey Mia. Renth - can you get into El Questro without 4WD - we haven't been up that far yet, friends have and love it but they do have a 4WD so I wasn't sure?
Yes, you can get to el Questro without 4x4 (from the Kununurra/Wyndham end but not from the Gibb River Road because you need to cross the crocodile infested Pentecost river, you really don't want to get bogged there, trust me!)

You can see some of the amazing nearby gorges too, like Emma Gorge - http://www.elquestro.com.au/emmagorge/. You might be one of the few people without a 4x4 and beware if it's your car rather than a company car/rental you'll shake the crap out of it on the local roads.

You can't do the Cockburn Ranges circuit without a 4x4.

5 Rivers lookout in Wyndham is a must.

Last edited by renth; Mar 27th 2012 at 11:51 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Have heard that Shocko is nice that time of year
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks every one for your suggestions and advice. We are still un decided on where to have a family holiday with 3 boys.
Mandy x
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:10 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks every one for your suggestions and advice. We are still un decided on where to have a family holiday with 3 boys.
Mandy x
If you end up in Perth please don't be a stranger x