Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday Rental V's Long Term Rental in WA

Holiday Rental V's Long Term Rental in WA

Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice
Default Holiday Rental V's Long Term Rental in WA

We are joining you lovely people in June and need a bit of advise as i have never been to OZ and require some advise.

We have been offered a holiday rental, fully furnished, bills included, no extra's apart from internet and food costs for $604 p/w

I have looked at long term rental (which i believe is very hard to get before you get to OZ) these seem to be around the $400 p/w mark but no furniture and bills ontop.

I dont know how much more you pay for electric/gas/council tax/tv license blah blah blah.......

Do you think that the extra $200 extra p/w all in makes it good value for money? bearing in mind we have no furniture aswell

The above property is in Quinns Rocks.....is this a good area?
We are a family of 3, young daughter aged 4.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Rental V's Long Term Rental in WA

It really comes down how you prefer you live.

$604p/w is a good price for a fully-furnished rental with all bills included. We arrived in Perth over two years ago and we paid more than that.

No, you would not pay $200 p/w for electricity and gas (landlord always pays the council tax and we don't have TV licences).

But it's not very realistic to move straight away into an unfurnished long-term rental. You really must look at the rental, the street it's in, and the surrounding area.

I would move into the furnished rental. But make sure it's a short-term rental, e.g. one or two months. Think about when your container with your belongings will arrive. During that month or two, drive around, decide where you want to live, and then find a long-term unfurnished rental (they usually come with a 6-month or 12-month lease).
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babysinead
We are joining you lovely people in June and need a bit of advise as i have never been to OZ and require some advise.

We have been offered a holiday rental, fully furnished, bills included, no extra's apart from internet and food costs for $604 p/w

I have looked at long term rental (which i believe is very hard to get before you get to OZ) these seem to be around the $400 p/w mark but no furniture and bills ontop.

I dont know how much more you pay for electric/gas/council tax/tv license blah blah blah.......

Do you think that the extra $200 extra p/w all in makes it good value for money? bearing in mind we have no furniture aswell

The above property is in Quinns Rocks.....is this a good area?
We are a family of 3, young daughter aged 4.
Furnished rental until you find something permanent. You don't need a lot of furniture [hint : buy an outdoor set of table and chairs; you can it on it and eat off it for quite a long time until you get some furniture]. You don't pay rates if you are renting but you will be liable for gas/leccy/water.

Bear in mind that the difference is nearly $1000 a month and there are a number of shops that sell furniture "starter packs" that are very cheap. Ok the quality isn't crash hot but it's something to sleep on, sit on and eat from.

Quinns is Ok although there is "new" Quinns and "old" Quinns; the latter used to have a dodgy reputation despite the fact the houses are near the beach and the land is worth a bomb.

The primary school was very good when we were there 5 years ago, excellent staff and there is a child care centre across Marmion Ave in Merriwa. There are always a number of rental available up there.

More than anything else a furnished rental has no permanency; at least with an unfurnished rental you can turn it into a home.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice

So i think what you guys are saying, the furnished property for short term 2-3 months then look for a perm

Gives us time to sort out furniture aswell and get a feel for the areas and schools, i believe there is a big IKEA in perth somewhere aswell, which will be a big help.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

So i think what you guys are saying, the furnished property for short term 2-3 months then look for a perm

Gives us time to sort out furniture aswell and get a feel for the areas and schools, i believe there is a big IKEA in perth somewhere aswell, which will be a big help.
Yep, that's it. Short-term furnished rental for 2-3 months, then a lomng-term unfurnished rental.

And yes, we have a large IKEA. It is near the Cedric street entrance/exit of the Mitchell Freeway.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:29 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

The other thing is that the furnished rental owners will probably give you a rental reference for when you look for an unfurnished long term rental. We do this often for people new to Perth who stay in our properties and it does make a difference having a local referee.

Do either of you have employment yet? I ask because Quinns is a fair way north of the city, which is where a lot of organisations are based. However obviously if you or your other half have work that's up that way, it's not going to be an issue.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genevieve
The other thing is that the furnished rental owners will probably give you a rental reference for when you look for an unfurnished long term rental. We do this often for people new to Perth who stay in our properties and it does make a difference having a local referee.

Do either of you have employment yet? I ask because Quinns is a fair way north of the city, which is where a lot of organisations are based. However obviously if you or your other half have work that's up that way, it's not going to be an issue.
No we dont have jobs yet, but thought it was only 40 minutes from perth......is this not correct?

Plus the nearer we get to perth the price is starting to shoot up.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

No we dont have jobs yet, but thought it was only 40 minutes from perth......is this not correct?

Plus the nearer we get to perth the price is starting to shoot up.
It depends where you are working - if you can take the train in the CBD then you can drive/get a bus to Clarkson station and ride the train into work.

If you need to drive [a distinct possibility since public transport is not existent outside some major routes] then you might find yourself in for a long commute since the freeway south is incredibly congested in the morning.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
It depends where you are working - if you can take the train in the CBD then you can drive/get a bus to Clarkson station and ride the train into work.

If you need to drive [a distinct possibility since public transport is not existent outside some major routes] then you might find yourself in for a long commute since the freeway south is incredibly congested in the morning.
Very interesting and i really appreciate all your advise on this.

We have just been offered another property in Joondulup/Connolly area, this looks to be close to perth and is only $10.00 p/w more, but im thinking the commute would be better????
What do you think of this area, bering in mind i have a 4 year old to entertain.
Is Joondulup a better choce then quinns rocks
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Is Joondulup a better choce then quinns rocks
For your first couple of months, Joondalup is defintely a better choice than Quinns Rock.

We also stayed in Joondalup when we first arrived. You've got the Licensing Centre (for Driver's Licence), library, Medicare office, internet cafe, train station - and the shops all close together. (We stayed in Davidson Terrace which was actually in walking distance to all of the above.) That makes it easier to get everything organised and set up.

From Joondalup it's only 20 mins to the CBD on the train - handy of you are registering with agencies in the city for job interviews.