Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday rental con

Holiday rental con

Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future
Default Holiday rental con

We came to Perth in Oct 08 for a 3 week visit with my parents, we stayed in a house at Quinns Rock and paid a $2000 security bond. We are having no luck on getting any of this bond given back to us, the owner will provide no explanation as to why he will not pay of back, he saidcwe damaged things that we didn't and the bond is covering the repair of these items. We have asked for receipts but have had nothing, my brother who lives in Perth has been contacting the owner by phone for the last 4 months about paying the bond back but the owner just fobs him off with we are waiting for this and that. Today he told my brother that he would no longer deal with him and that it was in the hands of his solicitors - who he could not name. Has anyone any advice on the way forwards with this it is difficult as it us my parents money and they reside in the UK whilst myself and my brother live in Aus.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default Re: Holiday rental con

That's awful, bet they won't be coming back for another visit anytime soon.

I guess there wasn't a Property Manager involved as you seem to be dealing directly with the owner. Did your parents sign a rental agreement? Was there a property condition report with photo's etc agreed on when they moved into the house? And did they take any pics when they left?

Why don't you see a solicitor with any evidence you have & get him to write to the owner. At least if they really are taking legal advice they'll pass it onto their solicitor & it'll get things moving along.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

was the bond lodged with a third party? thats how I find most private owner ran rentals are done or was it simply handing the cash over.

I rented a holiday apartment for 3 weeks and never had to hand a bond over, strange they asked u to.
From the sounds of it I think its time you contacted your own solicitor and got them to write to the owner saying you are making a case against them.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Have to say a $2000 bond for a 3 weeks holiday stay is strange - why would you need to do this and what paperwork did you sign since that will dictate everything. If you did sign nothing yet handed over the money, then you;ve probabaly had it, and it's an expensive lesson learned.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:39 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buchanan
We came to Perth in Oct 08 for a 3 week visit with my parents, we stayed in a house at Quinns Rock and paid a $2000 security bond. We are having no luck on getting any of this bond given back to us, the owner will provide no explanation as to why he will not pay of back, he saidcwe damaged things that we didn't and the bond is covering the repair of these items. We have asked for receipts but have had nothing, my brother who lives in Perth has been contacting the owner by phone for the last 4 months about paying the bond back but the owner just fobs him off with we are waiting for this and that. Today he told my brother that he would no longer deal with him and that it was in the hands of his solicitors - who he could not name. Has anyone any advice on the way forwards with this it is difficult as it us my parents money and they reside in the UK whilst myself and my brother live in Aus.
I'm so sorry to hear that you have been ripped off.

This kind of situation really makes my blood boil. Is there not an Aussie equivalent of BBC watchdog that you can take it up with? Or maybe a Australian government tourist agency?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I have seen this happen in qld, seems like some companys work this way i would contact fair trading let them deal with it, i know this wont help this time but in future take a video when you arrive & when you depart.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
I have seen this happen in qld, seems like some companys work this way i would contact fair trading let them deal with it, i know this wont help this time but in future take a video when you arrive & when you depart.
Your advice is very sound. Don't forget to include something like a daily newspaper in the video coverage.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Office of Fair Trading and similar

QLD - Office of Fair Trading 1300 658 030 (for the cost of a local call)
ACT - Office of Fair Trading The Office's general enquiry number is 6207 0400.
NSW - Office of Fair Trading Call 13 32 20 for all fair trading enquiries
NT - Consumer and Business Affairs Toll Free: 1800 019 319 (within Northern Territory only)
SA - Office of Consumer and Business Affairs Telephone: (08) 8204 9777
TAS - Office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Phone 1300 65 44 99
VIC - Consumer Affairs Victoria Consumer Affairs Helpline: 1300 55 81 81
WA - Consumer & Employment Protection General Advice Line: 1300 30 40 54 (cost of a local call)

Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Hello, sorry to hear that you are having this kind of trouble :curse: hope this helps
Perth has a tenants advice service the website is www.taswa.org
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Perhaps get your brother to take a cr*p in his letterbox.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

I truly feel sorry for you and hope it didn't spoil your holiday with your parents. Hopefully this isn't a common occurence with holiday rentals in Perth.

My only advice would be to name and shame the property/owner on this website after all other options are exhausted. How about telling the landlord that you will leave bad feedaback on all the advertising sites he uses for his property or forums like this!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:44 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Perhaps get your brother to take a cr*p in his letterbox.
Remember to drop the lid after your finished