Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Thinking of heading across to NZ for 2-3 weeks sometime in March or April, with Mrs Haggis and the kids (aged 8 and 6).

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, hints etc on places to go, where to stay, things to do etc with the family.

I'm currently back in Glasgow (land of the long yellow vomit) so need something to get me excited.

Thanks awfully.
Col
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Thinking of heading across to NZ for 2-3 weeks sometime in March or April, with Mrs Haggis and the kids (aged 8 and 6).

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, hints etc on places to go, where to stay, things to do etc with the family.

I'm currently back in Glasgow (land of the long yellow vomit) so need something to get me excited.

Thanks awfully.
Col
Are you going North or South island or both? Loved New Zealand but especially the south island, just driving into and around the hills was amazing. There is also an explorer to the south pole centre you can do which was not bad. We weren't there for very long so can't really recommend much but its a beautiful place, all the scenery of scotland with slightly better climate!!!!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Are you going North or South island or both? Loved New Zealand but especially the south island, just driving into and around the hills was amazing. There is also an explorer to the south pole centre you can do which was not bad. We weren't there for very long so can't really recommend much but its a beautiful place, all the scenery of scotland with slightly better climate!!!!
We spent a month touring the South island, and saw Wellington, Auckland and Rotorua in the North Island. NZ is SO well geared for tourism that there are excellent things everywhere, just a shame LOTR pushed up the prices a little! If you're not going there for skiing then there's the Milford Sound trip, kayaking in the Abel Tasman Park, Christchurch for Antarctic centre and nice regional drives, Mount Cook. We liked Wanaka and Te Anau esp, but you are spoilt for choice wherever you go!

Enjoy,
Gemma
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Wannabe_Sheila will become famous soon enough

Hi

I'm a British Expat living in New Zealand. Whereabouts are you looking to go/see/do? New Zealand does have something for everyone but you do have to decide beforehand what you're doing so you can plan your itinerary
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper

Thanks awfully.
Col
Try a post in the NZ forum, quite a friendly bunch in general over there
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant future

www.hanmersprings.co.nz is a great place. We went in winter and it warmed us up no end!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

hantorro is on a distinguished road

Went to NZ over Christmas, stayed at Christchurch which is very picturesque, almost a cross between York and Durham City with a splash of the cosmopolitan. Have a nice trip, the place is spectacular
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

We spent two weeks in February this year. Loved it and it wasn't enough!

Visited Bethel's Beach (near Auckland - an hour's drive - its where the film The Piano was filmed, the black beach), the Cramandel Penisula, Rotorua (which we were less then impressed with, its a lot touristy and parts can be a bit tacky - experienced a very poor 'Maori'-experience), Napier via Lake Tahoe which would be a nice place to stop, and Wellington in the North Island. Missed the Bay of Islands which I believe is really nice.

In the South Island, we stayed in the north as we decided that we'd had enough driving. Went along the north coast towards Farewell Spit from where there's an unmetaled road its worth following towards the west coast for the beach.

Abel Tasman Park is magical. Take a water taxi up the coast and walk to another bay to be picked up later.

We stayed in Mapua at an ace bed & breakfast for four nights (didn't need breakfast because of the high quality eating place on the pier!), there are two excellent places to eat on the pier. we alos stayed in Golden Bay on the way to the Spit. A lovely spot.

Would do it all again anytime and take at least twice as long.

good luck.

Alistair
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:58 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7726323...7600761124167/

Have a look through the pictures here.