British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/holiday-melbourne-do-i-need-etag-342505/)

arkon Dec 13th 2005 7:13 am

Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Hi all, Were going to Melbourne for a week and will be wanting to go in and
out of the city, we have heard they have a toll system. Do I need to pay for something to use the roads in advance or is it free to visitors?

Pootle Dec 13th 2005 7:20 am

Re: Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Originally Posted by arkon
out of the city, we have heard they have a toll system. Do I need to pay for something to use the roads in advance or is it free to visitors?

Depends how often and what routes you want to use. You can buy a 24 hour pass or a weekend pass (or use a different route!) Have a look on their website and it will give you the different options available. You can buy the passes in advance or pay up to 3 days after you have travelled.
See http://www.citylink.com.au/default.asp?CC=33&CN=92

Ruth

wanderingwombat Dec 13th 2005 7:21 am

Those Victorians love tourists. They put up special cameras to capture all your driving adventures. :eek: Sometimes multiples along the road just to make sure they didn't miss you the last time. :eek: :D

After paying all those fines you expect not to have to pay tolls? :confused: :D

WW

woodyinoz Dec 13th 2005 8:03 am

When are you heading here???

pm me if you fancy a catch up ;)

As for the etag... I always avoid buying one and take the back roads into the city! I soon regret it though when I am met with roads that won't allow left turns and don't get me started on Trams!

arkon Dec 13th 2005 9:10 am

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
When are you heading here???

pm me if you fancy a catch up ;)

As for the etag... I always avoid buying one and take the back roads into the city! I soon regret it though when I am met with roads that won't allow left turns and don't get me started on Trams!

Well I've just been told by an Australian relative not to bother as I will be a tourist. Do I belive him and just wait for the fines to come rolling in or what?

CasG Dec 13th 2005 9:15 am

Well I've just been told by an Australian relative not to bother as I will be a tourist. Do I belive him and just wait for the fines to come rolling in or what?

I have been here for a year now...and never had to use the Toll.....despite travelling all over the city in all directions.

Just get a map :)

GinaUK Dec 13th 2005 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I have been here for a year now...and never had to use the Toll.....despite travelling all over the city in all directions.

Just get a map :)

Can't believe you've been there a year already !!! (Sorry, arkon, for hijacking your thread). I remember the panic about whether your visa would arrive in time. Doesn't seem like that was a year ago!

Gina

Vash the Stampede Dec 13th 2005 4:16 pm

Hi all, Were going to Melbourne for a week and will be wanting to go in and out of the city, we have heard they have a toll system. Do I need to pay for something to use the roads in advance or is it free to visitors?

I can't WAIT for the outcome of this one... :D

Pootle Dec 13th 2005 6:35 pm

I wouldn't try that option! I have only used it twice and as Cas says it is quite easy to just use other routes - or just ring up and pay your $10.
Ruth

fraser Dec 13th 2005 8:14 pm

I've only ever used it once, about three years ago when I took a wrong turn on to Batman Ave near Melbourne Park, cost me $9 for about 300 metres :rolleyes:

Shellfish Dec 13th 2005 8:55 pm

I wouldn't bother, there are back roads you can take (they aren't great but they are around). If you do use the citylink, you have 24 hours to pay after the event but honestly, we have been here 2 and a half years and have never used it

helinuk Dec 13th 2005 9:36 pm

I borrowed a melways and found alternative routes too.
You will be fined if you don't pay either before or just after using citylink.

bondipom Dec 13th 2005 9:41 pm

If I remember rightly I signed up to allow the Melbourne toll system to debit my Sydney E-tag account when I went into the RTA. Give the operators of your e-tag a buzz.

A dogs life Dec 13th 2005 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
I've only ever used it once, about three years ago when I took a wrong turn on to Batman Ave near Melbourne Park, cost me $9 for about 300 metres :rolleyes:

I did exactly the same thing trying to get into the CBD, i ended up going along Batman Ave. But I was in a rental car, and I was living in a short term apartment, so even if they wanted to send me a fine they couldn't, and they didn't. Though I did spend a nervous week waiting for Hertz to call me.