Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Hi all, Were going to Melbourne for a week and will be wanting to go in and
out of the city, we have heard they have a toll system. Do I need to pay for something to use the roads in advance or is it free to visitors?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Originally Posted by arkon
out of the city, we have heard they have a toll system. Do I need to pay for something to use the roads in advance or is it free to visitors?
Depends how often and what routes you want to use. You can buy a 24 hour pass or a weekend pass (or use a different route!) Have a look on their website and it will give you the different options available. You can buy the passes in advance or pay up to 3 days after you have travelled.
See http://www.citylink.com.au/default.asp?CC=33&CN=92

Ruth
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Those Victorians love tourists. They put up special cameras to capture all your driving adventures. Sometimes multiples along the road just to make sure they didn't miss you the last time.

After paying all those fines you expect not to have to pay tolls?

WW
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

When are you heading here???

pm me if you fancy a catch up

As for the etag... I always avoid buying one and take the back roads into the city! I soon regret it though when I am met with roads that won't allow left turns and don't get me started on Trams!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:10 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
When are you heading here???

pm me if you fancy a catch up

As for the etag... I always avoid buying one and take the back roads into the city! I soon regret it though when I am met with roads that won't allow left turns and don't get me started on Trams!
Well I've just been told by an Australian relative not to bother as I will be a tourist. Do I belive him and just wait for the fines to come rolling in or what?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:15 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've just been told by an Australian relative not to bother as I will be a tourist. Do I belive him and just wait for the fines to come rolling in or what?
I have been here for a year now...and never had to use the Toll.....despite travelling all over the city in all directions.

Just get a map
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:12 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I have been here for a year now...and never had to use the Toll.....despite travelling all over the city in all directions.

Just get a map
Can't believe you've been there a year already !!! (Sorry, arkon, for hijacking your thread). I remember the panic about whether your visa would arrive in time. Doesn't seem like that was a year ago!

Gina
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Holiday to Melbourne do I need an ETag?

Hi all, Were going to Melbourne for a week and will be wanting to go in and out of the city, we have heard they have a toll system. Do I need to pay for something to use the roads in advance or is it free to visitors?
I can't WAIT for the outcome of this one...
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't try that option! I have only used it twice and as Cas says it is quite easy to just use other routes - or just ring up and pay your $10.
Ruth

Last edited by Pootle; Dec 13th 2005 at 6:42 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:14 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever used it once, about three years ago when I took a wrong turn on to Batman Ave near Melbourne Park, cost me $9 for about 300 metres
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't bother, there are back roads you can take (they aren't great but they are around). If you do use the citylink, you have 24 hours to pay after the event but honestly, we have been here 2 and a half years and have never used it
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I borrowed a melways and found alternative routes too.
You will be fined if you don't pay either before or just after using citylink.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If I remember rightly I signed up to allow the Melbourne toll system to debit my Sydney E-tag account when I went into the RTA. Give the operators of your e-tag a buzz.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:48 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
I've only ever used it once, about three years ago when I took a wrong turn on to Batman Ave near Melbourne Park, cost me $9 for about 300 metres

I did exactly the same thing trying to get into the CBD, i ended up going along Batman Ave. But I was in a rental car, and I was living in a short term apartment, so even if they wanted to send me a fine they couldn't, and they didn't. Though I did spend a nervous week waiting for Hertz to call me.