Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

holiday first or not

holiday first or not

Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:04 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default holiday first or not

we have been told that we should go on holiday first before making such a big life changing situation but the way i look at it the money you spend going onn hol would be better used when we get there to live whats everones thoughts on this please we are just a little unsure were to go i fancy brisbane myself and hubby wants perth any ideas would be grate ta
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:23 pm
Living the dream.

The MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant future
Default Re: holiday first or not

Originally Posted by robos
we have been told that we should go on holiday first before making such a big life changing situation but the way i look at it the money you spend going onn hol would be better used when we get there to live whats everones thoughts on this please we are just a little unsure were to go i fancy brisbane myself and hubby wants perth any ideas would be grate ta

Hi, Assuming you mean holidaying in Aus (you never can tell ) We were going to do the whole "arrive without ever having been thing" and were also looking at Perth. But my cousin visited from Brisbane and convinced us to visit him on holiday. We did and because we have to go STNI and listened to some of his reasons for not living in WA we spent a week in Melbourne aswell as 2 in Brissy. Brissy was great and we could live there easily. Melbourne was also fantastic but had more of a european cosmopolitan feel to it. It reminded us of the 7 years we spent in Germany. Without going on for too long The answer to your question is do what you feel best. We were going to go anyway and our holiday just enthused us more and added detail to the pictures we had in our minds from reading this very informative forum..

Its Melbourne for us and it can't come soon enough.

Dave
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be far cheaper in the long run to discover which ,if any area would best suit you. Each of us has different needs,views,etc but i think most would agree, It would be wise if you could afford it to check it out.From my own perspective before i went for a visit Melbourne was top of my list after we had been it was last on our list in favour of Perth,Brisbane.
Good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:51 pm
aussie73

If you don't holiday before you go to OZ once you get to OZ you should travel around the country and see as much as possible to help you decide where to live. OZ is a very large country different states have different landscapes and climates, you should'nt just move to one place like Perth or Brisbane without seeing the rest of the country.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 18th 2005 at 10:53 pm.

Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:58 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
If you don't holiday before you go to OZ once you get to OZ you should travel around the country and see as much as possible to help you decide where to live. OZ is a very large country different states have different landscapes and climates, you should'nt just move to one place like Perth or Brisbane without seeing the rest of the country.

thanks for all the great views and opinions
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:51 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't visited first, or don't intend to, you should think very carefully about why you are favouring a particular city. Is it because you saw it on TV and it looked good, because someone who's been loves it and sold it to you, or in the case of Perth is it because it seems a more affordable option than some other cities. Make sure your reasons are because of things you know to be true and right for you as opposed what you've been sold by someone who either loves or hates an area. On the surface one city may seem perfect but when you scratch the surface it may not tick quite so many of your boxes.

A rekkie is always best but not always an affordable option, if you can afford it, do it, you'll have a great time and give yourself a whole new list of things to consider

Lynn