Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday Feeling???

Holiday Feeling???

Old May 9th 2006, 8:00 am
Just Joined

scottietoohotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday Feeling???

Well under 2 weeks to go till we move to Cairns, almost everything is done, but i still feel like it's just a holiday and not a permanent move. Is this normal?? When does it stop feeling like a holiday??
Old May 9th 2006, 8:18 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Feeling???

TBH I still feel like I'm on holiday and that it will be over soon and I'll be going home! Am very settled here and love it but it feels like well- being on holiday! Have no intentions of going back and hope I will always feel like this. Been here a year so understand that this may be the 'honeymmon' period and I might feel different in the future.
Good luck with your new life and hope things go well for you - enjoy!

Tracey
Old May 9th 2006, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tracey brien
TBH I still feel like I'm on holiday and that it will be over soon and I'll be going home! Am very settled here and love it but it feels like well- being on holiday! Have no intentions of going back and hope I will always feel like this. Been here a year so understand that this may be the 'honeymmon' period and I might feel different in the future.
Good luck with your new life and hope things go well for you - enjoy!

Tracey
Thanks. I hope I'm the same; sure I will be if I don't let work get in the way!! Bring it on.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottietoohotty
Well under 2 weeks to go till we move to Cairns, almost everything is done, but i still feel like it's just a holiday and not a permanent move. Is this normal?? When does it stop feeling like a holiday??
Funny you should say that I have been thinking the same.

We move in 6 weeks and even though we have no home and have had to cancel everything, when thinking of what I am going to pack I can't get out of 2 week holiday packing, clothes etc. I have to take the b....dy lot!!! HELP! :scared:
Old May 9th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly how I felt!! It still feels like a holiday sometimes as we spend time doing things that we only did on holiday. We have been here 15 months now and don't feel the need to go on holiday, must be less stressed I think.
Old May 9th 2006, 11:35 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who moved to South Africa a long time ago (before the troubles) and she said she felt like she was on holiday for about 5 years

Every day, walking to work in the sunshine, Table Mountain on one side, the ocean on the other .....
Old May 9th 2006, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

I keep coming out with the line "I haven't come on holiday to (do whatever)" , but it DOES feel like holiday still. Only 7 weeks for us, but it REALLY does!

Kids have both said recently they feel like they're on holiday, but with school and we have friends out here that have been here over 2 years now and they too say they wake every now and then and wonder is it all a dream!

It's just Australia and what a wonderful place to be I say! ...
Old May 9th 2006, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I keep coming out with the line "I haven't come on holiday to (do whatever)" , but it DOES feel like holiday still. Only 7 weeks for us, but it REALLY does!

Kids have both said recently they feel like they're on holiday, but with school and we have friends out here that have been here over 2 years now and they too say they wake every now and then and wonder is it all a dream!

It's just Australia and what a wonderful place to be I say! ...
I'm glad it's not only me then!! Lets just say I can't wait for my "holiday" to start
Old May 9th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

been in brisbane since january........ still feels like a holiday (depite obscene amount of homework!)

hopping over to the UK in 7 weeks and i'm thinking that when i get back here it'll feel less holiday-esq then!
Old May 10th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 16 months, and it did feel like holiday for a long time, but not now, its reality now.
But i dont feel we need a holiday because we have it all here, lovely walk along the beach last night with the dog and the kids, you just cant buy it.
Denise
Old May 10th 2006, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

We have been here for 7 months now, and even though we have all had paperwork to deal with, as well as getting moved into our house, amongst other things, it has felt like a holiday for the whole 7 months! Even though we have dealt with stuff that has stressed us out, and we have had bad days, once you get down the beach, or float around in the pool for a bit, you start realising why you're going through all the hassle! The good points of emigrating outweigh the bad points basically...

I have been looking for a job (fruitlessly) ever since we landed, and the fact that I'm not doing anything has made it feel that much more like a holiday! But I think as soon as I have started work things will become a little more normal and a little less holiday-like! I'll still be going down the beach when I can though, so it's all infinitely better than the UK!
Old May 10th 2006, 4:17 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

the holiday feeling will never go because living in OZ the best country in the world ,is one long holiday