British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Holiday in Bali? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/holiday-bali-305416/)

Ceri May 29th 2005 6:09 pm

Re: Holiday in Bali?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I take it from your comments that you feel that when a person goes to a different country they should not complain about the rules etc of that country ?

Where have I stated that I believe in the death penalty on this point ?
:)

I was asking if you agree with the death penalty ( notice the ???) and the other points you mention , there was actually a ?? there.

If a person goes to a country - they should abide by the laws of the country, or if they do not choose to abide by these laws of the land they have to face the consequences of their actions. You do have a choice if it's not your land, - abide by their laws or face the outcome of the lands laws

Her case is no different to many who have be locked up in Asian countries and pleaded they are innocent throughout about drugs being planted on them - Australians too.

The media is in a frenzy over just one of many who don't have the media face - it sells stories for them. Then sending people into a panic over will I be stopped, this and that , there is nothing new about this case than hell a lot of others who sitting there rotting.

Look at the family and their history,( I'm not going to get into it what I've been told by a friend about this family, who does know the family) - whether she is innocent I don't know ( personally I believe she is guilty - but I am not the judge, neither is the Au public) , but her family have a bit of a history going on there if this friend is to believed. I'm not going to even quote the stuff.

I do not buy into media rag stories, which a lot of people seem to be doing.

what about the other cases ? B8gger them.
I'm saying that in her case it sells stories for the media and the public buy into it, some of them even saying they won't go there because of this - which I think is absolutely ridiculous

personally I'm more scared of Australian ill trained police, never brand a butter knife at one lol

cheers

ABCDiamond May 29th 2005 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ceri
I was asking if you agree with the death penalty ( notice the ???) and the other pointsyou mention , there was actually a ? there.

so, you believe in a death penalty do you if they are guilty??? B8gger him in Sing he is guilty

Sorry, I didn't read that as a normal question, but more a statement.

and your other question was ?

How many reached for the google search engine to find out who he was when I wrote his name in my post eh ?? - you would not have done that with the mention of the Bali 9

OK, I did, and I think so did Meg, well it was a very old story, and as I said, the Bali9 is not old, so google is not required :)

Ceri May 29th 2005 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sorry, I didn't read that as a normal question, but more a statement.

and your other question was ?OK, I did, and I think so did Meg, well it was a very old story, and as I said, the Bali9 is not old, so google is not required :)

hardly an old story he isn't dead yet is he?
Or perhaps it's old news for the fickle media, who have now found a better sale.

P.S - quick search of google for what is happening recently to him:

yes this is very old news to some - his appeal is still going on, he is not dead yet you know - but most of the main rag media fail to report on it here now, it doesn't sell for them )

From the ABC at least:

story - AM - Thursday, 17 March , 2005 08:00:00

TONY EASTLEY: A young Melbourne man facing execution for drug trafficking in Singapore may have earnt himself a lifeline. 24-year-old Van Tong Nguyen has been helping the Australian Federal Police with its investigation into an Australian-based international drugs syndicate for more than a year.

His lawyers hope his cooperation will strengthen his appeal for clemency, which was lodged over the weekend with Singapore's president. If it fails he will be hanged at Singapore's Changi prison.

Later in the program we'll hear from the head of Australia's Catholic Church about his request to the Pope to help support Nguyen's case.

cheers

kiwichild May 29th 2005 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
202 people murdered in the Bali bombings and drugs getting planted in your bags, l think l would rather holiday in Queensland..

Or NZ. We have a proper justice system there , and you might enjoy the many things to do, see and taste there Wombat :)

babybeth May 29th 2005 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Just out of interest, has it become alot cheaper to holiday in Bali since all the 'incidents'? Are they desperate to get Aussie tourists back?

JTL

nope, all price still d same...still a bunch of aussies...and still lots of aussie spots there :)

ptlabs May 29th 2005 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by frecka
On that note, Have you been to Singapore? We are going to New Zealand, via Singapore, with an one day stopover, I have taken the head staggers since I heard about the Australian girl.

Am I over reacting? Singapore seem to have those harsh laws too?

Singapore hangs drug peddlers. Consumption of most drugs will land you behind bars.

But, hey, Singapore courts use English, so you won't need a translator if you have to face the judge!

Peter

smilywelshgirl May 29th 2005 7:50 pm

Complete change of subject Ceri but wanted to say I understand completely about your heart being a long way away (In your profile!). I'm from Anglesey and miss the old place terribly - even the rain!!!! :p

gogdownunder May 29th 2005 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by smilywelshgirl
Complete change of subject Ceri but wanted to say I understand completely about your heart being a long way away (In your profile!). I'm from Anglesey and miss the old place terribly - even the rain!!!! :p

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch :confused:

smilywelshgirl May 29th 2005 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch :confused:

hahahahahahah a local!

I'm from Holyhead!!

:)

kiwichild May 29th 2005 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ptlabs
Singapore hangs drug peddlers. Consumption of most drugs will land you behind bars.

But, hey, Singapore courts use English, so you won't need a translator if you have to face the judge!

Peter

I think (as it was a British colony) uses the same legal system we are used to.
ie, judge and jury, onus on prosecution to prove guilt, assumption of innocence until proved guilty. Unlike Indonesia which has a Dutch inquisitorial system where the accused has to prove their innocence.

I visited Singapore years ago, and quite enjoyed it.

G'Day May 30th 2005 9:06 am

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Who says I wasn't there? Growing up in the ME I heard all the usual stories. There's generally little truth behind them or not the all the facts are known.

I meant I was there when it happened.

G'Day May 30th 2005 6:10 pm

I was asking if you agree with the death penalty ( notice the ???) and the other points you mention , there was actually a ?? there.

If a person goes to a country - they should abide by the laws of the country, or if they do not choose to abide by these laws of the land they have to face the consequences of their actions. You do have a choice if it's not your land, - abide by their laws or face the outcome of the lands laws

Her case is no different to many who have be locked up in Asian countries and pleaded they are innocent throughout about drugs being planted on them - Australians too.

The media is in a frenzy over just one of many who don't have the media face - it sells stories for them. Then sending people into a panic over will I be stopped, this and that , there is nothing new about this case than hell a lot of others who sitting there rotting.

Look at the family and their history,( I'm not going to get into it what I've been told by a friend about this family, who does know the family) - whether she is innocent I don't know ( personally I believe she is guilty - but I am not the judge, neither is the Au public) , but her family have a bit of a history going on there if this friend is to believed. I'm not going to even quote the stuff.

I do not buy into media rag stories, which a lot of people seem to be doing.

what about the other cases ? B8gger them.
I'm saying that in her case it sells stories for the media and the public buy into it, some of them even saying they won't go there because of this - which I think is absolutely ridiculous

personally I'm more scared of Australian ill trained police, never brand a butter knife at one lol

cheers

No use getting your knickers in a twist over this one darling. You know and I know that she has a cute face, managed to keep her eyebrows plucked beautifully whilst in jail and cried ever so nicely. I have no doubt that she was sitting there thinking "Oh, shit!" and was scared out of her wits, but face it, she looks better than the Bali 9 or your friend in Singapore and THAT sells newspapers. It's not about race, it's about a doll-face begging for mercy and no-one can get enough of it. It brings out the knight in fools. Do you see many pictures of the not-so-skinny, not-so-photograpic white female member of the Bali 9 in the newspapers? Which century do you live in if you still expect the newspapers to be about actual news? It's all about sensation, emotion and pandering to the masses.