Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday in Bali?

View Poll Results: Would you take a holiday in Bali after the SC verdict?
No I probably would not go now.
42.31%
I would be cautious about going now.
10.58%
Yes I would still go, what's changed?
26.92%
Wouldn't have gone anyway.
17.31%
Who is Schapelle Corby?
2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Holiday in Bali?

Old May 27th 2005, 4:17 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Holiday in Bali?

In light of the Schapelle Corby trial would this make you think twice about a holiday in Bali?
Old May 27th 2005, 4:20 am
wombat42

Default Re: Holiday in Bali?

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
In light of the Schapelle Corby trial would this make you think twice about a holiday in Bali?
202 people murdered in the Bali bombings and drugs getting planted in your bags, l think l would rather holiday in Queensland..

Old May 27th 2005, 4:20 am
Just Joined

bongoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I'd stay far away...
Old May 27th 2005, 4:24 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'd rather holiday in Baghdad than take my chances in Bali.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I picked the yes, but it's not quite true - as I have never wanted to go to that part of Indonesia , too touristy. And I like many parts of Indonesia, but you live by their laws - it is not a western country, there is mass corruption there, even in dealing with custom authorities- ie shipping tools of the trade in - back handers to customs officials , or they refuse to let your container in ( My best mate has a company in Indonesia, and is married to an Indonesian)

you may as well sanction all of Indonesia too, why just sanction Bali
Don't stop there, sanction all Asian countries too.
Trouble is with a lot of people, they treat Bali like their own Aussie playground, and forget they have strict sentencing, drug laws etc etc - it is Indonesia, it's not the gold coast etc. It is not a western democracy, don't like it , don't go there, just stick to western countries.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, has it become alot cheaper to holiday in Bali since all the 'incidents'? Are they desperate to get Aussie tourists back?

JTL
Old May 27th 2005, 4:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ceri
I picked the yes, but it's not quite true - as I have never wanted to go to that part of Indonesia , too touristy. And I like many parts of Indonesia, but you live by their laws - it is not a western country, there is mass corruption there, even in dealing with custom authorities- ie shipping tools of the trade in - back handers to customs officials , or they refuse to let your container in ( My best mate has a company in Indonesia, and is married to an Indonesian)

you may as well sanction all of Indonesia too, why just sanction Bali
Don't stop there, sanction all Asian countries too.
Trouble is with a lot of people, they treat Bali like their own Aussie playground, and forget they have strict sentencing, drug laws etc etc - it is Indonesia, it's not the gold coast etc. It is not a western democracy, don't like it , don't go there, just stick to western countries.
Mindanao sounds nice for a long stay.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

This would have no impact on any decision I might make in going to Bali.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Stu.E
This would have no impact on any decision I might make in going to Bali.
What if someone planted drugs in your case ? :scared:

Old May 27th 2005, 4:57 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

The Corby case in particular has made no impact on how I view Bali. And in all honesty, I would consider travelling there. However, I would certainly be more nervous about going there than somewhere else, despite knowing that's a bit irrational. Why worry about Bali more than, say, Thailand?
Old May 27th 2005, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Went to Bali in '91 on honeymoon. Its probably got more bad points than good points and wouldn't go back.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:09 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I've been to Bali 4 times, and each time been less enchanted with the place.
That's got nothing to do with the law, more to do with how spoilt it has become.
It was fairly unlikely for me to return on holiday. Now I think this would colour my view even more - fairly or unfairly it's just how I feel.
I would also be more cautious travelling overseas anywhere now.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What if someone planted drugs in your case ? :scared:
Pretty unlikely, and as such would be pretty far down my list of concerns when deciding on a holiday destination. On the balance of probabilities the plane would probably crash before that happened.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I've been to Bali too

Qantas flight 20, Denpasar
Meals and accom', Rent-a-car
I've been to Bali
I've been to Bali too

Took a two week course at a suntan clinic
So Lying round leggy and I wouldn't look anaemic
And you can't impress me
Cause I've been to Bali too

Got a ride out to Kuta in the back of a truck
Cost me twenty dollars and it wasn't worth a buck
Hustled to a lossman down poppy's lane
By a Javanese guy in a tropical rainstorm, Lock up your daughters
I've been to Bali too

Life is tragic hanging out at Kuta
If you haven't got a car, bike or a scooter
Show me the bike shop
I've been to Bali too

Got myself a Honda, had to get away
No brakes, bald tyres, five thousand
Rupes a day
I've been to Bali too.

Well I don't ride a bike much home in Australia
As a motorcycle hero guess I'm a failure
Bemos to the left, trucks to the right
The Honda was a wreck but I was alright, hello mecurochrome
I've been to Bali too

Wired home for money, short of cash
A dose of Bali belly and a tropical rash
Daddy came through - American express
Bali t-shirts magic mushrooms Redgum bootlegs
I've been to Bali too

Took my bag and mozzie coils to Peliatan
It's there were my Bali trip really began
Been there, done that
I've been to Bali too

Tourists from Holland, Britain and France
Late night puppet shows, leg on dance
Want to see my slides?
I've been to Bali too.

Well I wandered off to Ubud, just a little up the track
One week there didn't want to come back
Listening to Gamelon playing guitar
Janteris, tacos, Hotel Monara, two month visa
I've been to Bali too.

Flying Kangaroo out Denpasser
Left me camera in the airport bar
I've been to Bali
I've been to Bali too

Touch down, touch down Tullamarine
Sprayed me on the plane so I'd be real clean
Coming though customs
I've been to Bali too

Went through my bags like McCartney in Japan
I didn't have a thing so I didn't give a damn
You can't trick me
'Cause I've been to Bali too

You've been to Paris and you've been Boston
You've been to Fiji and you've been to London
But you can't impress me
'Cause I've been to Bali too
Old May 27th 2005, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I'd still go, even though I'm not particularly keen on the place (there are nicer places in Asia), but hand-luggage only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.