Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

holiday accom. on arrival - problems?

holiday accom. on arrival - problems?

Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default holiday accom. on arrival - problems?

We are getting our 1st 4 weeks accom. free in Oz (Cairns), paid for by my new employer (weh hey!) which is fantastic but the questions I have are:

do you think we should use this address for stuff like our driving licence, medicare, TFN, etc. etc.

will it be easy enough to change everything over to our new address after 4 weeks (which will be a rental)

if it's going to be a pain in the ass, is there anything we can delay registering until we move into the rental? obviously we won't need to register for utilities until then.

is it easy to change the address on your driving licence i.e. can you just go in and get it changed and does it cost? the DL is important I think to change over ASAP for ID purposes but if it's going to be difficult maybbe it would be better to drive on my UK one until we move into the rental?
I'm also thinking about the best way to have local ID for the 20% locals discount as it's my daughter's birthday a week after we arrive (trip to barrier reef?)

andy
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all
Default Re: holiday accom. on arrival - problems?

Originally Posted by cadman
We are getting our 1st 4 weeks accom. free in Oz (Cairns), paid for by my new employer (weh hey!) which is fantastic but the questions I have are:

do you think we should use this address for stuff like our driving licence, medicare, TFN, etc. etc.

will it be easy enough to change everything over to our new address after 4 weeks (which will be a rental)

if it's going to be a pain in the ass, is there anything we can delay registering until we move into the rental? obviously we won't need to register for utilities until then.

is it easy to change the address on your driving licence i.e. can you just go in and get it changed and does it cost? the DL is important I think to change over ASAP for ID purposes but if it's going to be difficult maybbe it would be better to drive on my UK one until we move into the rental?
I'm also thinking about the best way to have local ID for the 20% locals discount as it's my daughter's birthday a week after we arrive (trip to barrier reef?)

andy
Hi Andy,

As a PR you can't apply for medicare until you're here 10 days and by then you may know you're longer term address or be nearly there, we waited til we had a longer term address, your driving license is valid for 3 months so also doesn't need to be done until you've got a longer term property. for ID you can use your passport. for tax file use the address and then change it later...we did, and it's easy. for locals, do you have a letter from your employer with your address on that you'll be living it....these are just options, hope they help and good luck with the move!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, Maybe you could use something local like a library card for local id for the % discount. I still have my Manley library card, from when we were in temp accomodation.

Another thought for addresses, I think we used our employers address for some things, until we could get ourselves sorted.

What a wonderful birthday trip, to the reef! Enjoy yourselves and best of luck!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quercus
Hi, Maybe you could use something local like a library card for local id for the % discount. I still have my Manley library card, from when we were in temp accomodation.

Another thought for addresses, I think we used our employers address for some things, until we could get ourselves sorted.

What a wonderful birthday trip, to the reef! Enjoy yourselves and best of luck!
cheers.
that's a good idea, a library card.
the reef trip is to placte her as she will be sad having just left all her friends behind (oh, and I've always wanted to go ! will be doing my PADE open water for my 40th and plan to join the scuba club there but will make do with a tourist trip for her birthday)

andy
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

My kids loved it. I did too, it's a different world down there, my first experience of snorkeling too! The hovercat boat made me a bit seasick though, Im not the best traveler.