Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hola, another way to watch BBC and ITV

Hola, another way to watch BBC and ITV

Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Hola, another way to watch BBC and ITV

I must be doing something wrong as it still is telling me I cant access it.I'm on a mac.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola, another way to watch BBC and ITV

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I must be doing something wrong as it still is telling me I cant access it.I'm on a mac.
Sorted.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

i have been using this for a while and it works really well

told a friend about it and he said there are bad security issues with this as your computer is an open source

way over my head but are there any issues i need to be concerned about ......... we use it every day
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:34 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
i have been using this for a while and it works really well

told a friend about it and he said there are bad security issues with this as your computer is an open source

way over my head but are there any issues i need to be concerned about ......... we use it every day
Two main issues

1) This acts as a man in the middle for your queries to certain sites (redirecting the DRM queries). Therefore it would be quite possible for them to act as a man in the middle between you and your bank, you wouldn't be easily able to tell.

2) The DRM queries go via a peer in the country of choice (making you look like you are there). They make this work by making everyone a peer, you will also act as a peer for others who might want to watch Oz TV (strange people). In theory someone might complain, or someone might be able to make that peer network do botnet attacks.

In short, if I were doing this, it would be on a separate browser install, only used for that purpose. Saying that, I haven't heard anyone scream yet, and you can bet that security types will be all over it, and the like of Hulu would love to publicise issues.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 11:18 pm
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

As of this morning no BBC sites load in my browser unless I turn off the hola extension - damn it, i was just getting right into watching the BBC again. - Oh well, any other ways to get around the regional blocking thing ?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:11 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

is it still working for anyone else in oz ?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Not working here. The options button isn't showing. Looks like their IP addresses have been blocked. I have sent them an email.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pomikev
is it still working for anyone else in oz ?
no
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Back now. Return email said:

We're back up -- were having some difficulties due to the greatly increased number of users, but all is fine now :-).

Please let your friends know that all is back up, and also to follow our twitter (hola_org) to know if we have outages in the future.

Regards,
Ofer
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pomikev
As of this morning no BBC sites load in my browser unless I turn off the hola extension - damn it, i was just getting right into watching the BBC again. - Oh well, any other ways to get around the regional blocking thing ?
Yes.... FilmOn HD.
Check this prog. out, it isn't free but you can record loads of live U.K. program's to your hard drive, so that you can watch them when you want to!
Download the FilmOn SD. version (poor quality, no record), and try it out!!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Back now. Return email said:

We're back up -- were having some difficulties due to the greatly increased number of users, but all is fine now :-).

Please let your friends know that all is back up, and also to follow our twitter (hola_org) to know if we have outages in the future.

Regards,
Ofer
Thank you.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:50 pm
Banned

Brilliant, I'm doing cartwheels round the garden because I can watch the Lost kingdoms of south america and my wife is currently watching silent witness and is looking forward to tomorrows episode of "ask the midwife".
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

If your paranoid about the security risk of them snooping on your visiting your online banking etc

You could down load Google Chrome Portable install the addon there and only use that copy of chrome when watching TV

http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...hrome_portable
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:28 am
Banned

just disable hola when your not watching bbc - top right on the menu bar there's a hola icon, 1 mouse click turns it off.