Reload this Page >

HND Engineering??

HND Engineering??

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

kathmand194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HND Engineering??

Hi,

I hope to migrate out to Australia in the near future, I am currently going down the skilled/trades route and having my skills assessed by TRA as a fitter.
I currently work as a fitter and am studying towards an HNC in Engineering, I hope to finish it next year(June2005), but am considering putting of immigration to Australia to complete an HND which on top of my HNC will take 2 more years part-time.
My question is, how does a HNC/ HND stand in Australia?
I currently work as a tradesman but hope to get into something more technical in Engineering in the future hopefully down under. Am I wasting my time in completing the two years of an HND if its not worth the paper its on in Australia??? How ar these qualifications rated in Australia??

Cheers Gary.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 3:37 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HND Engineering??

Originally Posted by kathmand194
Hi,

I hope to migrate out to Australia in the near future, I am currently going down the skilled/trades route and having my skills assessed by TRA as a fitter.
I currently work as a fitter and am studying towards an HNC in Engineering, I hope to finish it next year(June2005), but am considering putting of immigration to Australia to complete an HND which on top of my HNC will take 2 more years part-time.
My question is, how does a HNC/ HND stand in Australia?
I currently work as a tradesman but hope to get into something more technical in Engineering in the future hopefully down under. Am I wasting my time in completing the two years of an HND if its not worth the paper its on in Australia??? How ar these qualifications rated in Australia??

Cheers Gary.

Hi Gary, i am ONC & HNC qualified as a mechanical engineer (14 Years experience) and i got assessed at the full 60 points, so they must be recognised in some way shape or form by TRA.

As for your HND i honestly believe that hands on experience is better than paper qualifications. I would also say that fitter is currently on the MODL list so apply asap!!

Cheers

Mr Madsad.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Gary, i am ONC & HNC qualified as a mechanical engineer (14 Years experience) and i got assessed at the full 60 points, so they must be recognised in some way shape or form by TRA.

As for your HND i honestly believe that hands on experience is better than paper qualifications. I would also say that fitter is currently on the MODL list so apply asap!!

Cheers

Mr Madsad.
Cheers for the reply,

I am having my trade assessed as a fitter by TRA and have relevant City & Guilds I am hopeful for a positive outcome, and will apply for skilled independant as soon as this comes through and take advantage of my skill being in demand.
I was wondering if I should bother staying in Ireland to complete my HND and if this qualification might get me into a more technical engineering role. I will complete my HNC next year.
How does a HND rate with Australian employeers?? Any idea?

Cheers Gary.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:48 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply,

I am having my trade assessed as a fitter by TRA and have relevant City & Guilds I am hopeful for a positive outcome, and will apply for skilled independant as soon as this comes through and take advantage of my skill being in demand.
I was wondering if I should bother staying in Ireland to complete my HND and if this qualification might get me into a more technical engineering role. I will complete my HNC next year.
How does a HND rate with Australian employeers?? Any idea?

Cheers Gary.
Willing to be shot down in flames here Gary, but i think most UK/Irish engineering qualifications are fairly highly rated, i have already e mailed companys my CV and had some very positive feedback, i am currently a sales manager for my engineering company but will look to go back on the tools when we get to AUS!!.

As i said if you really feel you want your HND sit tight and get it, but hands on is better than Paper.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by madsad
Willing to be shot down in flames here Gary, but i think most UK/Irish engineering qualifications are fairly highly rated, i have already e mailed companys my CV and had some very positive feedback, i am currently a sales manager for my engineering company but will look to go back on the tools when we get to AUS!!.

As i said if you really feel you want your HND sit tight and get it, but hands on is better than Paper.
Thanks again,

Can I ask why are you going to go back on the tools? What line of fitting are you in? I have worked in the aerospace and automotive industries in tooling and production, I am not sure but hopeful that I will be clasified as a fitter. I am using an agent George Lombard and he seems to think I have a good case.

Gary
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:07 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Hi Gary

I myself have already got my visa I work as a contract drafty in the UK and I applied under the Building and mechanical professional not listed elsewhere. Trust me it is on the occupation list! I belive that now they have even relisted it starting with the Mechanical bit first too. Anyway I applied under this and only had to send my certs to Vetassess to get a bit of paper in return that says that my certs are worth.....

I belive its ONC = Australian National Diploma

HNC = Australian Adavanced National Diploma

I popped into Inst of Engineers last time I was in Perth and they really didn't know what would be the best route for me to go down (Don't know why cos a Drafty here is still called a Drafty overthere.) But the Inst of Engineers in Oz you have to prove yourself and state reasons why you did this that and the other on your last job....I'm not that kinda person myself I just go and get the job done not sit around working out why I did this that or the other if you know what I mean. I found it a lot easier the route I took.

Anyway if you are still studying do you have any work experience? as you will need this in order to apply for a Skilled Independant. I think of the top of my head you need a min of 2 in the last 3 years of work experience.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:15 pm

Thanks again,

Can I ask why are you going to go back on the tools? What line of fitting are you in? I have worked in the aerospace and automotive industries in tooling and production, I am not sure but hopeful that I will be clasified as a fitter. I am using an agent George Lombard and he seems to think I have a good case.

Gary

Sales is pretty high pressure Gary, and i just want to be a punter again rather than a Gaffer!! thats all.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beegee
Hi Gary

I myself have already got my visa I work as a contract drafty in the UK and I applied under the Building and mechanical professional not listed elsewhere. Trust me it is on the occupation list! I belive that now they have even relisted it starting with the Mechanical bit first too. Anyway I applied under this and only had to send my certs to Vetassess to get a bit of paper in return that says that my certs are worth.....

I belive its ONC = Australian National Diploma

HNC = Australian Adavanced National Diploma

I popped into Inst of Engineers last time I was in Perth and they really didn't know what would be the best route for me to go down (Don't know why cos a Drafty here is still called a Drafty overthere.) But the Inst of Engineers in Oz you have to prove yourself and state reasons why you did this that and the other on your last job....I'm not that kinda person myself I just go and get the job done not sit around working out why I did this that or the other if you know what I mean. I found it a lot easier the route I took.

Anyway if you are still studying do you have any work experience? as you will need this in order to apply for a Skilled Independant. I think of the top of my head you need a min of 2 in the last 3 years of work experience.

Hope this helps
Cheers for the reply,

Yeah I have relevant work experience, I served a three year apprenticeship as a fitter and gained my city and guilds and NVQ level 3 then completed another 2 years with this company I took some time out and went travelling then started working again as a fitter and have been in this employment for approx. 3 year. I have been studying part time towards an HNC over the last 2 years and think I might be in a better position when I get to Ozzie if I had an HND. What I was wondering was if this HND qualification is well recognised in Australia???? or is an HNC held in similiar standing to an HND?

Cheers Gary.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

juri is an unknown quantity at this point

what surprised me was that, unlike the uk, there are very few 'trades and technical' job adverts that require the oz equivilent of onc / hnc. In the uk the starting point is hnc, not at all in WA. So, in a nutshell, you're wasting your time, but please look further into it because this forum is bad for people like myself opinionating. Got ripped off on the exchange rate because I took the word of some (It coulld go as low as 2.2 to the pound) numpty.
John
Old Oct 24th 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

juri is an unknown quantity at this point

ps go into the tafe sites and they'll set you straight. (College site )