Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HM Forces/ Military Pension

HM Forces/ Military Pension

Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:22 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default HM Forces/ Military Pension

Hi,
whats the score with getting your UK Forces Pension in Oz, Once our time is served we intent to move to SA. Will I be taxed by the UK & Oz, or can I claim my Tax back from Oz, (I understand that is the deal for Canada).

Any advice please?
thanks
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:28 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HM Forces/ Military Pension

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hi,
whats the score with getting your UK Forces Pension in Oz, Once our time is served we intent to move to SA. Will I be taxed by the UK & Oz, or can I claim my Tax back from Oz, (I understand that is the deal for Canada).

Any advice please?
thanks
Hi there

We moved over here in November, ny husband gets a forces pension, at the moment it is still subject 40% tax in UK as we still havent had his final P45 from his company so we can fill in the P85 to inform UK tax we are out of the country.

I am sure you only pay tax in one country for the pension, and you declare it on your Oz tax return, the have an agreement in place. Not sure how this is done, but we are thinking of employing someone when the time comes for our tax return for the first year.

Hope this helps a little

Can let you know more as and when I find out if you want.

Shirley
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:13 am
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road

Hi shirley,
sorry for jumping in but we are very intersted in the pension thing as my husband will complete his 22yrs May 14th, but I was just wondering how long it took from your ack to receiving your visa? did do the 47ES?
Jo
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:13 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi there

We moved over here in November, ny husband gets a forces pension, at the moment it is still subject 40% tax in UK as we still havent had his final P45 from his company so we can fill in the P85 to inform UK tax we are out of the country.

I am sure you only pay tax in one country for the pension, and you declare it on your Oz tax return, the have an agreement in place. Not sure how this is done, but we are thinking of employing someone when the time comes for our tax return for the first year.

Hope this helps a little

Can let you know more as and when I find out if you want.

Shirley
Many thanks for the Prompt Reply Shirley, I also found on another thread about the P85 after I posted this, the previous thread said that this would stop UK tax?
Steve
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:03 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bushpig
Hi shirley,
sorry for jumping in but we are very intersted in the pension thing as my husband will complete his 22yrs May 14th, but I was just wondering how long it took from your ack to receiving your visa? did do the 47ES?
Jo
Hi Jo

It depends on what visa you apply for as to how long it takes. Our form was a 47SK I believe, we applied for a 138 visa - Skilled Australian Sponsored. We applied in September and the visa was granted in the following June. Have a look on austimeline for a better idea of how long what class of visa is taking.

Best of luck

Shirley
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:08 pm
Where I want to be

Many thanks for the Prompt Reply Shirley, I also found on another thread about the P85 after I posted this, the previous thread said that this would stop UK tax?
Steve
Hi Steve

Yes, if the tax office do their job properly, filling in the P85 should stop any liability for you to pay any UK tax, you should then pay tax on it here when you fill in your tax return. Not sure how they do it, I suppose they could just send you a bill at the end of the year or if they could allow for it when taxing your wages and do it that way.

Shirley
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:24 pm
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi Jo

It depends on what visa you apply for as to how long it takes. Our form was a 47SK I believe, we applied for a 138 visa - Skilled Australian Sponsored. We applied in September and the visa was granted in the following June. Have a look on austimeline for a better idea of how long what class of visa is taking.

Best of luck

Shirley
Thanks for repying, I've checked that austimeline and not found anyone with the 47ES visa. gutted.

Just have to sit tight and wait.

Jo
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Any advice please?
thanks

Hi Seacaptain,

My OH is AGC and will look into this with Glasgow and report back. I know you only pay tax in one country but frinds who live in Adelaide have just sorted this out it has taken nearly 8 months. Will report back with definative answer.

Cheryl
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bushpig
Thanks for repying, I've checked that austimeline and not found anyone with the 47ES visa. gutted.

Just have to sit tight and wait.

Jo
Hi Jo

We did the same yesterday and found no other 47ES. We are doing this visa and everything is in oz now so just playing the waiting game. Are you waiting for your visa? Do you know where you are going yet? Nice to a fellow 47ES.

Nicky
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

47 ES (cat 120) should take about 6 months max, if you have served in Germany, ensure you get a German Police check and send the original to your case officer, they don't need a translation.
Re: Pensions, you can apply to HMRC to stop paying UK tax on it, most lateral transferees here in Darwin have done it with no problems.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:21 am
Adelaide Bound

Originally Posted by njk435
47 ES (cat 120) should take about 6 months max, if you have served in Germany, ensure you get a German Police check and send the original to your case officer, they don't need a translation.
Re: Pensions, you can apply to HMRC to stop paying UK tax on it, most lateral transferees here in Darwin have done it with no problems.
Thanks Nige, I have just sent and email to our CO to ask if they need a translation!

Cheers!