Hiya!

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:21 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hiya!

'I'm good thanks, how are you?'

When I first heard that response I was a little surprised as in England the response is only 'Hi' or Hiya' or 'Hi there' . Now I just say 'Good thanks' back.

In fact I find myself deliberately saying 'Hiya' just to prompt their reply - such small things keep me amused

Anyone else been surprised at the response to something they said? apart from the puzzled look you get when asking for peppers (capsicum), aubergine (eggplant), etc
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:48 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiya!

Hiya Graham!!

We were car hunting over the weekend...went in numerous garages only to find the split second we crossed the threshold, the car salesmen pounced on us...bit like a venus bleedin' flytrap...you could almost hear them thinking...

"he he he here's another victim!"

Well...the final garage we went in I had to hunt around for a salesman to ask for help, while hubby browsed another car. When I found one I said:

"How refreshing! This is the first garage I've been in all day that I haven't been jumped on the minute I set foot on the forecourt!"

His reply was to laugh and say

"C'mon we'll go out the back if you like...I'll be quick!" :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:08 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep

"How refreshing! This is the first garage I've been in all day that I haven't been jumped on the minute I set foot on the forecourt!"

lol! Hope all is going well with you! Maybe we'll all meet up one day!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
Hiya Graham!!

We were car hunting over the weekend...went in numerous garages only to find the split second we crossed the threshold, the car salesmen pounced on us...bit like a venus bleedin' flytrap...you could almost hear them thinking...

"he he he here's another victim!"

Well...the final garage we went in I had to hunt around for a salesman to ask for help, while hubby browsed another car. When I found one I said:

LOL
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arnie2oz

When I first heard that response I was a little surprised as in England the response is only 'Hi' or Hiya' or 'Hi there' . Now I just say 'Good thanks' back.

In fact I find myself deliberately saying 'Hiya' just to prompt their reply - such small things keep me amused

Anyone else been surprised at the response to something they said? apart from the puzzled look you get when asking for peppers (capsicum), aubergine (eggplant), etc
Yeah, capsicum for peppers - what the!!!!! That one really got me! Took me ages to remember it when getting me SUBWAY fix - he he!!! If I said "and peppers please" they used to look at me with a very puzzled look on their faces

When we first arrived - didn't know how to react to the way we were greeted by nearly every Australian -

"G'day, how ya goin"?

We just used to look at them blank! We love that greeting its great! Dont have that trouble now been here 18 months and have got used to it! Now we say it ourselves all the time

I also love it when they say - "No worries m8" or "too easy" - they are so laid back here in Cairns as brill!!! Life is good!

As I'm typing this its absolutely pouring it down with thunder and lightning in our part of this beaut country! Cant go in the pool so what better place to be than on this forum

Take care
Gill

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Apr 3rd 2006 at 6:48 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:30 am
Keeping Busy

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss

I also love it when they say - "No worries m8" or "too easy" - they are so laid back here in Cairns as brill!!! Life is good!

As I'm typing this its absolutely pouring it down with thunder and lightning in our part of this beaut country! Cant go in the pool so what better place to be than on this forum

Take care
Gill

Glad you've survived the breeze and damp you've been having lately Gill :scared:

One of the ones which really confuses me is when a builder (or other tradesman) says ' See you at 7am Monday' (or Tuesday or pick a day) and then when they don't turn up and you manage to get hold of them they say something like 'Oh another job came up' or ' We were a bit behind on a job the other side of Brisbane'

So now I don't bother to wait in for them at all - just go out and when they phone me on the mobile I come back and let them in - saves me loads of time and frustration
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glad you've survived the breeze and damp you've been having lately Gill

One of the ones which really confuses me is when a builder (or other tradesman) says ' See you at 7am Monday' (or Tuesday or pick a day) and then when they don't turn up and you manage to get hold of them they say something like 'Oh another job came up' or ' We were a bit behind on a job the other side of Brisbane'

So now I don't bother to wait in for them at all - just go out and when they phone me on the mobile I come back and let them in - saves me loads of time and frustration

LOL!

We had the same problem in the UK - our tradesman of about 21 yrs did exactly the same! Said he would come on a certain day - you wait all day - he didn't turn up - then you phoned - he said, 'sorry had another job on' - well great we used to think! Is'nt this a worth while job as well - one that pays your bills too!!!! In one of our houses, we had '3' tradesman come round to give us a quote for redevelopment of our conservatory and bathroom, all said they would 'come back' but, yes you've guessed it, they NEVER did My Mum has been waiting for same tradesman (our one of 21 yrs) to 'finish' a job he started for her, wait for it, 14 months ago They just make false promises all the time! Its so annoying I'd much rather them be honest and say, well we'll be there if nothing else turns up that brings us more money I apologise to any 'genuine' trades people on this forum - but this has been our and many other peoples experience everytime!

So, , here or over there - its one of this little niggling aggrevations of life

YEAH, we have 'survived' another few days of really humid conditions in Cairns! Love the climate here most of the year, but the last few weeks have been quite hard to deal with unless you are in 'AC' or have 'fans' on all day! or sit and do absolutely nothing - dont move a muscle, housework is a 'no go' , any excuse hehe!! Could be worse, much worse eh - wet,freezing cold, dark, dank and very windy.......where am I talking about......you know!

Take care
Gill
Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:07 am
Keeping Busy

Can't you get Bix to buy a portable A/C unit???

Don't ask for courgettes either --they're zucchini;
and if you expect something cold on a stick you'll be surprised if you ask for a lolly!!

isn't life interesting
Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Hiya!

G'Day Mate !!! How ARE ya ?!?

"I'm a nurse" That was the first confusion.
scenario:
What do you do ?,
"I'm a nurse",
a what ?
"a nurse" ,
A WHAT ?????
"a N-E-R-S-E !!"
oh !!! get you now !

The joys of it all. I have a very long list !!
Speak to you guys soon,
Have a "good" day.
Tass. x
Old Apr 4th 2006, 7:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hiya!

There's an Ozzie girl here at work from Wagga Wagga, whenever I say good morning to her she always replys "what's going on!!!"

Anyone else been given this alternative to "hello" in Oz?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL!

Know where you are coming from - believe me! I work in a British Lolly Shop! Honestly the looks I sometimes get when I start to speak! Its very amusing they stand there mesmerised and all i want to do is laugh cause I think that most Australians expect all English people to speak like the Queen There are so many progs on tv and films that portray us brits as all having this 'upper class' accent that it really confuses the poor dears the times I get the response of 'PARDON'? with a quizzical look on their faces! many think Mark (son) and me are IRISH! Its the way I tellum

Nearly everytime I go into my local 'subway' outlets, I have to repeat everything I say - What bread wld u like? Wheat please, pardon?, wheat please, pardon?.....what wld you like on it madam...ham and cheese please, pardon? ham and cheese please, pardon? and so i go on till they grasp it - usually after I've shouted above every other noise in the place and speaking like I am talking to a complete......... Its so funny!!! Think i'll take a little board with me next time, might be easier lol! Mind you, I have been guilty of not understading some Australians - boy that can be fun!!

Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=arnie2oz]Can't you get Bix to buy a portable A/C unit???

Don't ask for courgettes either --they're zucchini;
and if you expect something cold on a stick you'll be surprised if you ask for a lolly!![QUOTE]

He he!! Will ask him!

Its been raining a lot over the last few days here in lovely Cairns, so cooled down a little no need for the air con - good!!! Its a lovely temp actually. Funny thing is arnie2oz, if we were in a Summer in the UK at these temps, 27/31 deg c, we would be really, really HOT! Thats how much we've got used to it in the last 18 months - incredible eh

Courgettes - zucchini - just as well i dont like them then eh!!!

Yes, life is very interesting (especially living with BIX)

Gill
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There's an Ozzie girl here at work from Wagga Wagga, whenever I say good morning to her she always replys "what's going on!!!"

Anyone else been given this alternative to "hello" in Oz?

Cheers

Buzzy
Never heard that one Buzzy

The general greeting we get is simply 'G'day how ya goin' which I love So much better than 'hello' or 'Hi' or as the americans say 'hey' - come on Just where did that one come from hey

Have a nice day

Gill -
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:36 pm
Keeping Busy

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Yes, life is very interesting (especially living with BIX)

Gill
Good job you don't get irritated easily - just like Nikki - yeh right!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good job you don't get irritated easily - just like Nikki - yeh right!!!!

OOOHHH dont you believe it! I am Sagittarius after all m8!!!

One has to try and let these sort of aggrevations go over ones head, you know what I mean my dear? (spoken like the Queen of course)

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.