Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

highest increase in council tax

highest increase in council tax

Old Mar 5th 2003, 6:27 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy highest increase in council tax

Further along the lines of comparing various taxes to Oz (in a post on the immigration board), the average house in England will see a 12.9% increase in council tax to £1102. This rise is 10% above inflation.

I am assuming there a similar charge on housing in Australia? and if so what approx level is it charges at?
Old Mar 5th 2003, 6:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: highest increase in council tax

Originally posted by walaj
Further along the lines of comparing various taxes to Oz (in a post on the immigration board), the average house in England will see a 12.9% increase in council tax to £1102. This rise is 10% above inflation.

I am assuming there a similar charge on housing in Australia? and if so what approx level is it charges at?
Yes there is also you are charged twice for water use once in water rates then metered use of all water.
The house rates are calulated in the same way as the UK on rentable value plus levys for all kinds of bull .

Old Mar 5th 2003, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Most QLD properties received new valuations up to 100% higher than last year. Lots of newsapers carrying stories of people claiming they will have to sell up etc. My rates on Sunshine coast are currently almost $1000 per Half year plus water, however the valuation went up 80%. Bearing in mind what people earn here I would imagine that is pretty high.
Old Mar 6th 2003, 2:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
Most QLD properties received new valuations up to 100% higher than last year. Lots of newsapers carrying stories of people claiming they will have to sell up etc. My rates on Sunshine coast are currently almost $1000 per Half year plus water, however the valuation went up 80%. Bearing in mind what people earn here I would imagine that is pretty high.
That's a lot. Without digging my old rates bill out (I pay rates on my vacant land, so I assume the rates are calculated on the land value, and not the building (?) , I think mine was 1300, 0r $1400, last year (for 12 months). This includes water charges although it's an empty plot of land. I pay for all of the services including sewage - which is ridiculous - it's an empty plot, there's no house there yet! (only now , we've started to build on it)The only thing I do not pay for is garbage collection, the wheelie bins on the empty plot.

What my council does- is charge you for water in the rates, you are allowed up to a certain amount of water - can't remember the exact amount of water, if you use more than the allocated amount you are charged extra for what you have consumed. If you use under the amount which has been allocated - you get a rebate for the water you haven't used on next years bill. I should have a rebate this year because I haven't use any water at all of course.

Most people are dreading this years rates, most council rates are going to be a lot higher - my rate bill isn't due for a couple months yet - I'd better get saving!

cheers
Old Mar 6th 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

most in brisbane would be happy with 10% rise - england has the poll tax which is not linked to property values and it actually works in your favour at these times of huge property increases. we were paying $2k per annum in wellington point but sold in september. based on latest rates notices that would have risen 20% at least this year.
Old Mar 8th 2003, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Yes there is also you are charged twice for water use once in water rates then metered use of all water.
The house rates are calulated in the same way as the UK on rentable value plus levys for all kinds of bull .

Dear PB

Can you give us an idea of just how much the house rates and water are? I'm just looking for the average 3/4 bedroom house in an average suburb.

My UK rates have just gone up to £1388 (Band E) 3 bed semi. Surely your house rates are not AUD3600 per year?

Just curious.

Julie
Old Mar 8th 2003, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

pamzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Macquarie
Dear PB

Can you give us an idea of just how much the house rates and water are? I'm just looking for the average 3/4 bedroom house in an average suburb.

My UK rates have just gone up to £1388 (Band E) 3 bed semi. Surely your house rates are not AUD3600 per year?

Just curious.

Julie
Julie if you go into a property website such as aussiehomes.com a view a particular property it usually gives you the annual rates for both water and council but you will have metered water above that. Incidentally what we have just found out is the high cost of stamp duty you pay when you buy a house, they charge you on the value of the property and then again on your loan ! for a $350k property that amounts to about $14,000 !
Old Mar 8th 2003, 1:48 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by captaincook
most in brisbane would be happy with 10% rise - england has the poll tax which is not linked to property values and it actually works in your favour at these times of huge property increases. we were paying $2k per annum in wellington point but sold in september. based on latest rates notices that would have risen 20% at least this year.

We also pay 2k but in £'s rise of 17.5% this year and far less for the money pavements almost dangerosus and trees never trimmed (also dangerous for the blind etc.) We cut our own grass verges as these are done about 3 times per year (usually after the one and only road sweep has been done - usual cock-up in arrangements. I pay only one grade down from houses that can be in the multi-millions of pounds cost and ours is about £400,000 (4 bed semi - 1/4 acre) Surrey/London borders - for us another reason to move away
Old Mar 8th 2003, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Poll tax went out years ago!! The council tax is linked to the value of your home - you get a band according to it's value- well what it used to be worth about 10 years ago. If they ever change to current values most of us Brits will be paying a fortune more, there has been speculation about this. happening
My council tax is going up 15.4% so over £200 a year increase. Lets hope we leave before the year is out!!
Old Mar 8th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Captain Cook,

What is the Poll Tax, not been around for decade plus ...

Chowski,
Old Mar 8th 2003, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Poll tax went out years ago!! The council tax is linked to the value of your home - you get a band according to it's value- well what it used to be worth about 10 years ago. If they ever change to current values most of us Brits will be paying a fortune more, there has been speculation about this. happening
My council tax is going up 15.4% so over £200 a year increase. Lets hope we leave before the year is out!!
Council Tax in Britain is linked to the relative value of your home, not the absolute value. A booming property market will have no effect on individual Council Tax rates.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 2:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pamzo
Incidentally what we have just found out is the high cost of stamp duty you pay when you buy a house, they charge you on the value of the property and then again on your loan ! for a $350k property that amounts to about $14,000 !
Hi,
It depends what state you live in, different rates for different states - QLD has the lowest stamp duty in Australia, I think NSW is one of the highest, if not the highest.

Plus, a cheaper way to do it (what I am doing)- is build instead of buying an existing home. You will only pay stamp duty on the cost /price you paid for the land, and not the building of the new house. It works out a lot cheaper.
It's all here
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...v&t=res&id=748
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...altips&ag=&cu=

Council tax, and the way they meter you also differs from council to council, and also the area of your house in the councils district, usually if it's a water front house you pay more tax, if you are in a high fire region - you pay a fire levy too. A good idea - is if you know where you'll be living, is to find out what council covers that area of your soon to be property/house, and to go go to that particular councils website(most councils are on the net) - it really does depend on where you live, and going off someone elses council tax bill may be a false price for you.
cheers
Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Macquarie
Dear PB

Just curious.

Julie
Every area is rated differant mine is a small town house in a average area which amounts to $1000 house rates plus $800 water and they charge for metered use of all water on an upward sliding scale .
Most services off the council are double charged so expect to be hit if you need them.
Given wages here can be half what you get in the UK theres little saving here.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 10th 2003 at 5:55 am.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:16 am
Banned

Originally posted by walaj

We look after our local leeches far better than the UK.

TOWN of Vincent ratepayers have been asked to pay for councillors' handkerchiefs, moccasins and almost $2000 in expenses under a policy to reimburse elected members for clothing.

Cr Basil Franchina and Cr Kate Hall went shopping together last year to buy the $127 moccasins, aftershave and perfume worth $363. They ran up other bills on other shopping trips - and are now asking ratepayers to pick up the tab.

The expenses were revealed following questions by ratepayer Nick Geronimos and are expected to spark a fiery debate at tonight's council meeting.

The claims were made under the council's miscellaneous expenses policy which five councillors - including Crs Franchina and Hall - voted to increase to $1500 a year last July.

Cr Franchina took two shopping trips to amass a $1169 bill which included 34 handkerchiefs and 12 pairs of socks worth $226 and two bottles of aftershave worth $250.

He also purchased six singlets worth $52.50 and four pairs of shoes, including the $127.95 moccasins during the spending sprees in September last year and January this year.