Reload this Page >

High schools in Perth

High schools in Perth

Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

ozziebound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High schools in Perth

Hello

Can anyone comment on Duncraig, Carine, Churchlands or Mt Lawley High schools in Perth. Or any other public or private high schools (less the A$3000 per year in fees) that can be recommended. We will be on 457 visa. We are looking to be able to rent at about 400-450 per week.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High schools in Perth

Originally Posted by ozziebound
Hello

Can anyone comment on Duncraig, Carine, Churchlands or Mt Lawley High schools in Perth. Or any other public or private high schools (less the A$3000 per year in fees) that can be recommended. We will be on 457 visa. We are looking to be able to rent at about 400-450 per week.

Many thanks!
Hi we were south of the river but our friends children went to Churchlands and another Duncraig (schools the same name as the sub) both government schools and do well in the stats. Private ones...well you pay for what you get....not sure about the 3000 as the good private schools cost a lot more than that. Remember though that if you rent in these areas, think that if you decide to stay that you can you afford to buy in these areas (they are more expensive than the newer developments which are further from the City)...both my friends could not, one could only afford Butler and had to travel twice a day to Duncraig South and the other in Clarkson with a journey to Maylands. Good luck and all the best with your move.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

If your only prepared to pay 400-450 I would cross Churchlands off the list. But all those Schools you mentioned are some of the better public schools.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice

hi my kids go to duncraig senior and duncraig primary both good schools in my opinion
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice

I believe Carine h/school very good.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ozziebound, I posted some info last month:

Catchment areas for these high schools:

Shenton College (most expensive for property and rentals, but you might get lucky) http://www.shenton.wa.edu.au/prospective/catchment

Churchlands Senior High School (cheaper than Shenton catchment)
http://www.churchlands.wa.edu.au/adm...takearea.shtml

Duncraig Senior High School (cheaper than 2 above) http://www.duncraigshs.det.wa.edu.au...=81&Itemid=147

Mt Lawley http://www.lawley.wa.edu.au/services...egory=choosing
Carine (just south of Duncraig, some parts of Duncraig fall into the catchment) http://www.carinehs.wa.edu.au/page/10/Enrolment-Map/

If you want to live south of the river (SOR), look at Rossmoyne or Willetton SHS.

Primary schools reasonably good in these areas as well, with one or two exceptions.

There are special programs at various high schools if your child has a particular gift/talent. There is usually, but not always, an exam or audition to get in. If successful, it means that you don't have to live in the catchment for that school.

Look up school boundaries for intake and use the usual websites for rentals:
www.realestate.com.au
www.domain.com.au

This time of year might not give a full picture of what is available for rental in some areas. More people want to rent by the beach in summer, for example, so the number of properties available for viewing can decrease, but the number of applicants increases. Also, uni re-starts in a couple of weeks, so there would be plenty of students around looking for somewhere to live.

There are cheaper suburbs in the rental areas, eg Wembley Downs, Scarborough, and parts of Doubleview and Innaloo fall in the Churchlands catchment. This would be the case for each of the high schools, except for Shenton College, but you sometimes get a bargain in that area too.

Last edited by HelenTD; Feb 5th 2011 at 2:04 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

ozziebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Hi ozziebound, I posted some info last month:

Catchment areas for these high schools:

Shenton College (most expensive for property and rentals, but you might get lucky) http://www.shenton.wa.edu.au/prospective/catchment

Churchlands Senior High School (cheaper than Shenton catchment)
http://www.churchlands.wa.edu.au/adm...takearea.shtml

Duncraig Senior High School (cheaper than 2 above) http://www.duncraigshs.det.wa.edu.au...=81&Itemid=147

Mt Lawley http://www.lawley.wa.edu.au/services...egory=choosing
Carine (just south of Duncraig, some parts of Duncraig fall into the catchment) http://www.carinehs.wa.edu.au/page/10/Enrolment-Map/

If you want to live south of the river (SOR), look at Rossmoyne or Willetton SHS.

Primary schools reasonably good in these areas as well, with one or two exceptions.

There are special programs at various high schools if your child has a particular gift/talent. There is usually, but not always, an exam or audition to get in. If successful, it means that you don't have to live in the catchment for that school.

Look up school boundaries for intake and use the usual websites for rentals:
www.realestate.com.au
www.domain.com.au

This time of year might not give a full picture of what is available for rental in some areas. More people want to rent by the beach in summer, for example, so the number of properties available for viewing can decrease, but the number of applicants increases. Also, uni re-starts in a couple of weeks, so there would be plenty of students around looking for somewhere to live.

There are cheaper suburbs in the rental areas, eg Wembley Downs, Scarborough, and parts of Doubleview and Innaloo fall in the Churchlands catchment. This would be the case for each of the high schools, except for Shenton College, but you sometimes get a bargain in that area too.
Many thanks for this-very helpful. Does anyone have any comments on Mount Lawley SHS as this is looking most likely. Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozziebound
Hello

Many thanks!
The private high schools tend to be a LOT more than $3000 [St Stephens is about $7K now and it can up go up to $20k+ per year]. I recall Catholic schools can be cheaper but I'm not 100% certain. Anyway most of the private schools have waiting lists that are years long with no guarantee of admission at the end of it.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
The private high schools tend to be a LOT more than $3000 [St Stephens is about $7K now and it can up go up to $20k+ per year]. I recall Catholic schools can be cheaper but I'm not 100% certain. Anyway most of the private schools have waiting lists that are years long with no guarantee of admission at the end of it.
Catholic Primary schooling is cheaper, but high schools are more than $3k.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:22 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Catholic Primary schooling is cheaper, but high schools are more than $3k.
I think it depends on the diocese I know la sell is just under 3k
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
That's quite reasonable for having your son's willy touched by a dirty old man.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I see it is around the $3k mark - sorry never looked at this school for my kids. Hung out with too many of these kids when I was at high school and they were as bad as the Swan View and Govo kids. I went out with a guy from La Salle for a couple of years but dumped him for a Guildford Grammar boy.