Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High Schools - Govt v Private (Perth NOR - Wanneroo)

High Schools - Govt v Private (Perth NOR - Wanneroo)

Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

CazYaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question High Schools - Govt v Private (Perth NOR - Wanneroo)

Hi All,
We are looking at the differences between government high schools v's private in the Perth area - Northern Suburbs, around Wanneroo.

Very few people (none actually have children attending the school) seem to have a good word to say about our possible local school "Wanneroo High". This has prompted us to look into the private system - but being non-denomination seems to be quite awkward as most private schools are church backed.

Can anyone give any comments on attending a church school just to get out of the government system.

Is it worth it? (ignoring the finanical burden)

Is the government system really that bad in the NOR?

Thanks in advance for your opinions....................
Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Schools - Govt v Private (Perth NOR - Wanneroo)

Originally Posted by CazYaz
Hi All,
We are looking at the differences between government high schools v's private in the Perth area - Northern Suburbs, around Wanneroo.

Very few people (none actually have children attending the school) seem to have a good word to say about our possible local school "Wanneroo High". This has prompted us to look into the private system - but being non-denomination seems to be quite awkward as most private schools are church backed.

Can anyone give any comments on attending a church school just to get out of the government system.

I wouldn't get too hung-up about the church backed schools - lesser of two evils so to speak.

Thread recently posted about Northern subs schools

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563043
Old Oct 1st 2008, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

STAY AWAY FROM WANNEROO HIGH!

We sent our daughter there and i would say its probably the worst school; with the teachers being so disinterested in the kids that i have ever come across.

I have taken our daughter out for years 11-12 and she is going to a school in Mindarie, but they only take years 11-12 and its a real fight to get in there. My neighbors send there girls to St Stevens thats a a private school very expensive but she thinks its worth it and her girls seem to have faired a lot better than my daughter has in year 10.

Most schools will let you go in and have a look around do that and go by your own judgement and not on the schools blurb, because i went against my judgement and believed the head teachers speel and i honestly think she has wasted a whole year of her education if not gone backwards.

Still you may get people reply to your post and say its a great school this is just my opinion, make an appointment and go and have a look around for yourself.

Good luck

Tricia
Old Oct 1st 2008, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JOHN G BLOOM
STAY AWAY FROM WANNEROO HIGH!

We sent our daughter there and i would say its probably the worst school; with the teachers being so disinterested in the kids that i have ever come across.

I have taken our daughter out for years 11-12 and she is going to a school in Mindarie, but they only take years 11-12 and its a real fight to get in there. My neighbors send there girls to St Stevens thats a a private school very expensive but she thinks its worth it and her girls seem to have faired a lot better than my daughter has in year 10.

Most schools will let you go in and have a look around do that and go by your own judgement and not on the schools blurb, because i went against my judgement and believed the head teachers speel and i honestly think she has wasted a whole year of her education if not gone backwards.

Still you may get people reply to your post and say its a great school this is just my opinion, make an appointment and go and have a look around for yourself.

Good luck

Tricia
Hi Tricia,
Thanks, your reply seems to agree with all the comments we have heard lately.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I wouldn't get too hung-up about the church backed schools - lesser of two evils so to speak.

Thread recently posted about Northern subs schools

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563043
Hi NKSK version 2,
Yes we read that thread, but it never really generated the types of commenst we are looking for, Tricia's opionion is 1st hand, we have always had 3rd or 4th hand information.

Looking into these school results & tables is quite confusing, however you seem to have some inside knowledge.

Thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by CazYaz
Hi All,

I have also heard Wanneroo is a bad school and not to even think about letting your kids go there. But a friend of mine , her son goes there and really likes it.
My SIL changed schools recentley, from state school to a church one (can't remember the name)
Anyway after 3 days she took them out of the church school as she was horrified at how they got taught, religion and prayers came before education (her words).
They arn't Catholics anyway, so this may explain why she was horrified.

Education in OZ is different to say the least.