Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High schools in Brisbane

High schools in Brisbane

Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High schools in Brisbane

i THINK that my daughters school years won't change as they would be going into year 8 and 10 in september here at 12 and 14?? Who knows? Its all guess work at the moment! Just how many of us have convinced our kids of the dream with the promise of a pool I wonder??? It seems to be the way to get them on our side doesn't it? I too am wondering just how far my pennies will go towards the big house with the pool. I may try to convince them that it would be a magnet for toads and spiders!!!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Amazing, we too are looking at Sandgate and living in the area, Brighton etc. We also were going to Perth originally.

We arrive in June, so if you havent arrived by then we shall post a full report. The website for Sandgate gives lots of info, it looks quite a good school doesnt it?
That is such a coincidence?! Can I ask you what made you decide on the Brighton area too?
I don't know when we will be over, if at all..still waiting on that visa and although its looking good now my meds have been requested, theres that old saying about not counting your chickens and all that... Sandgate looks like a great school, they even have a really good vocational course on hospitality industry that would suit my eldest down to the ground. Theres also a greater enthasis on sports and performing arts in general in the schools I have looked at so far, again great for my youngest, a real drama queen
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
i THINK that my daughters school years won't change as they would be going into year 8 and 10 in september here at 12 and 14?? Who knows? Its all guess work at the moment! Just how many of us have convinced our kids of the dream with the promise of a pool I wonder??? It seems to be the way to get them on our side doesn't it? I too am wondering just how far my pennies will go towards the big house with the pool. I may try to convince them that it would be a magnet for toads and spiders!!!
Is it Brighton you are definately going, or have you looked at the other areas surrounding Sandgate?

There seem to be a few cheaper areas next door at Fitzgibbon and Taigum. I think a recce would definately be in order, as there must be a reason for the difference in price, apart from the coastal location.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

That is such a coincidence?! Can I ask you what made you decide on the Brighton area too?
I don't know when we will be over, if at all..still waiting on that visa and although its looking good now my meds have been requested, theres that old saying about not counting your chickens and all that... Sandgate looks like a great school, they even have a really good vocational course on hospitality industry that would suit my eldest down to the ground. Theres also a greater enthasis on sports and performing arts in general in the schools I have looked at so far, again great for my youngest, a real drama queen

I think the main reasons are the location to the coast, not too far from CBD, on a train line also to made travel easier. We fancy northside over south, although I can’t quite work out where that decision came into play!

We have Albany Creek, Sandgate and the suburbs inbetween to check out one we get there. We are staying on the bayside for the first two weeks, so we will of course be looking around there.

What about you, why Brighton?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I've decided to base myself in Brighton (so far) as its in the catchment area for sandgate which is the best school i've seen (so far) and the whole place ticks so many of the boxes for me. As I can't afford a reccie, I need to move close to the city and get a short term house rental for 3 months, during which time I'll look around at different areas to buy. The main thing for me is to be within a good school catchment area from the start though so I can approach them and arrange enrolment for my daughters. I actually am one of the few people in London who have managed to find a good school here..In fact up until a couple of years ago their school operated a selection criteria including entrance exam, not many do that these days! I also work in education though and the curriculum offers I've seen in most schools I've seen are far better than they are here!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I've decided to base myself in Brighton (so far) as its in the catchment area for sandgate which is the best school i've seen (so far) and the whole place ticks so many of the boxes for me. As I can't afford a reccie, I need to move close to the city and get a short term house rental for 3 months, during which time I'll look around at different areas to buy. The main thing for me is to be within a good school catchment area from the start though so I can approach them and arrange enrolment for my daughters. I actually am one of the few people in London who have managed to find a good school here..In fact up until a couple of years ago their school operated a selection criteria including entrance exam, not many do that these days! I also work in education though and the curriculum offers I've seen in most schools I've seen are far better than they are here!
Again pretty similar, I was only talking last night about the encatchment area for Sandgate, do you have a map or details of the areas within this? I couldnt find anything on their site.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I think the main reasons are the location to the coast, not too far from CBD, on a train line also to made travel easier. We fancy northside over south, although I can’t quite work out where that decision came into play!

We have Albany Creek, Sandgate and the suburbs inbetween to check out one we get there. We are staying on the bayside for the first two weeks, so we will of course be looking around there.

What about you, why Brighton?
Brighton looks like exactly what i'm looking for,on the CBD and within commuting distance to City, you have the beach, lagoons and creeks inland and its one of the last remaining areas where prices haven't gone through the roof yet. Its got good schools, isn't too overpopulated yet, enough shopping facilities to be comfortable.... I have found queenslanders to be great people, and the further you go north the madder they seem to be....thats a good thing! I've also got into the very bad habit of looking at houses for sale and managed to fall in love with a few
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it was on their website actually or if not on ourbrisbane.com? Catchment area for Sandgate and Brighton areas
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it was on their website actually or if not on ourbrisbane.com? Catchment area for Sandgate and Brighton areas
I shall delve a bit more. Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

I shall delve a bit more. Thanks
Me too, I'll keep you posted :-)